Sign in to follow this  
REShaman

Wyred 4 Sound's Recovery USB Reclocker Findings For Audio Performance. (Curated Thread)

Rate this topic

Hello gdub,

Thank you for your feedback. Curious, knowing there were issues with some of your equipment, if I have that right, did you contact Wyred4Sound in advance to run your configuration by them before ordering?

Sorry for your troubles. I gather a few days more is not worth it to you to find out if there is a possible resolution. But that's your choice to make. And you made that choice.

Good fortune. I am sure Wyred4Sound will provide the best customer service possible whether to resolve either making it work if possible or making it right, if not so desired.

Best,

Richard

Hi Richard,

No there are not known issues with my equipment and the Reclocker. It is not a configuration problem. Instead of implying I am to blame for not asking them if their unit works with my DAC. I hope that you take time to research the specifics. There are known issues with Auralic Aries and they freely acknowledge the fact their product does not recognize specific DACS (Aesthetix is one). No way I or anybody would know that the Reclocker would mimic this problem. Why would I contact Wyred 4 Sound when they advertised that the unit worked with everything? I believe more research by Wyred 4 Sound should have been done to provide customers with the information on what potential problems may arise.

Why would you apologize for my troubles? You did nothing wrong. I have am not having "troubles". I only wish what I paid for and what was advertised meshed.

Perhaps the product was pushed out too fast for a thorough evaluation?

Respectfully,

Gdub

Hi Richard

Here is a rundown of my system. It has taken some time and effort to set up to my liking.

I'll leave out the Turntable chain as it is not pertinent to the thread.

MacBook Pro -> CCRL cable(50 cm) -> Intona USB Isolator -> Light Harmonic Lightspeed cable(1.00m) -> RUR (with W4S 9 volt SMPS) -> CCRL (20 cm) -> MSB Analogue DAC (upgraded power supply) -> Nordost Valhalla 2 RCA -> Allnic L3000 Tube Preamp -> Nordost Valhalla 2 RCA -> Allnic A6000 50 watt 300B SET Monoblocks -> Chord Sarum Speaker cables (with Nordost Reference Jumpers) -> Ambience Reference 1800 Ribbon Hybrid Speakers

All SMPS on a single dedicated line (RUR, Macbook, Lacie 6TB Thunderbolt Raid2 (conditioned using an Ayre power conditioner), all low power electronics on a second dedicated circuit (conditioned using an Audience power conditioner). Mono blocks on a 3rd 220 volt circuit converted to 110 volt using a step down transformer for a 2400 watt isolated circuit. I'm a bit of a clean power convert, so using the W4S SMPS into the RUR is like a thorn in my side. I've already started looking for alternatives.

The RUR is replacing an Uptone Regen and an Sbooster SMPS active filter. Additionally I needed to remove a Sbooster Vbus isolator in order to use the RUR, this is unfortunate. The Vbus isolator sat just downstream of the Intona isolator.

The sound of the system with the Uptone Regen in place was wonderful. The RUR is an experiment. I've already got 3 or so hours on it and will "peak" tomorrow after work, say after 20 hours of break in.

Full Disclosure:I had a quick peak (I couldn't help it) after just an hour, and while I wasn't blown away by a night and day difference in SQ from what I'm used to, the RUR sounded very nice.

At the moment, the RUR isn't exactly on a level playing field as the RUR is not broken in and its SMPS does not have the benefit of the Regen's Sbooster filtered power. Also the Sbooster Vbus isolator cannot be used (this last limitation may be critical).

After 2 days continuous play, I'll get down to serious A-B-ing and settle on the combination which works best (to my taste) in my system.

Regards

Barry

Hello John,

Welcome to the thread. If you would please post questions like the one you wish an answer to elsewhere, perhaps with Wyred4Sound

This thread is intended for those who have committed to the Recovery and are posting their findings and include system configurations and connections so that other members like yourself can glean from their experience what you might expect.

This thread is not a question and answer thread for one to speculate how well the Recovey might work with a certain configuration. Perhaps, if someone who posts on topic has the system or one close to the system you're interested in you might find helpful.

So please post your specific question at another thread or start one. Then if and when you acquire a Recovery and can provide your findings based on your configurations and connections for your system, we will have the benefit of your actual experience with the RUR.

Hope you don't take this personally. It's merely a way of keeping this thread on topic which is about actual findings. Perhaps at one of the threads devoted to the components of interest to you, there may be a member who has added a Recovery to their system and you'll have your answer.

Appreciate your cooperation.

Best,

Richard

Thank you for your hint.

Don't worry i don't feel offended.

I did't understand that my inquiry wasn't appropriate for this thread. It's a good idea to start a new one.

Aurender X100L 12T, dac TIDAL PREOS, Cybershaft premium 10.0M,Mutec mc-3+usb,TIDAL PREOS D

TIDAL IMPULSE,TIDAL PIANO CERA (Duelund x-over), Argento FMR, TRON DIGITAL, Stealth USB-T,Argento flow, Argento FMR power cables ,2 Rack of Silence, Torus RM16, Acoustic Treatment,EMO EN-70HD lan isolator, Meicord-Supra(CAT7+) lan cables, IFI ipower for router.

Thank you for your hint.

Don't worry i don't feel offended.

I did't understand that my inquiry wasn't appropriate for this thread. It's a good idea to start a new one.

Hello John,

Thank you for your understanding. You are very thoughtful and considerate.

With appreciation for your cooperation,

Richard

Hi Richard

Here is a rundown of my system. It has taken some time and effort to set up to my liking.

I'll leave out the Turntable chain as it is not pertinent to the thread.

MacBook Pro -> CCRL cable(50 cm) -> Intona USB Isolator -> Light Harmonic Lightspeed cable(1.00m) -> RUR (with W4S 9 volt SMPS) -> CCRL (20 cm) -> MSB Analogue DAC (upgraded power supply) -> Nordost Valhalla 2 RCA -> Allnic L3000 Tube Preamp -> Nordost Valhalla 2 RCA -> Allnic A6000 50 watt 300B SET Monoblocks -> Chord Sarum Speaker cables (with Nordost Reference Jumpers) -> Ambience Reference 1800 Ribbon Hybrid Speakers

All SMPS on a single dedicated line (RUR, Macbook, Lacie 6TB Thunderbolt Raid2 (conditioned using an Ayre power conditioner), all low power electronics on a second dedicated circuit (conditioned using an Audience power conditioner). Mono blocks on a 3rd 220 volt circuit converted to 110 volt using a step down transformer for a 2400 watt isolated circuit. I'm a bit of a clean power convert, so using the W4S SMPS into the RUR is like a thorn in my side. I've already started looking for alternatives.

The RUR is replacing an Uptone Regen and an Sbooster SMPS active filter. Additionally I needed to remove a Sbooster Vbus isolator in order to use the RUR, this is unfortunate. The Vbus isolator sat just downstream of the Intona isolator.

The sound of the system with the Uptone Regen in place was wonderful. The RUR is an experiment. I've already got 3 or so hours on it and will "peak" tomorrow after work, say after 20 hours of break in.

Full Disclosure:I had a quick peak (I couldn't help it) after just an hour, and while I wasn't blown away by a night and day difference in SQ from what I'm used to, the RUR sounded very nice.

At the moment, the RUR isn't exactly on a level playing field as the RUR is not broken in and its SMPS does not have the benefit of the Regen's Sbooster filtered power. Also the Sbooster Vbus isolator cannot be used (this last limitation may be critical).

After 2 days continuous play, I'll get down to serious A-B-ing and settle on the combination which works best (to my taste) in my system.

Regards

Barry

Hello Barry,

Thank you for the details (galore) of your configurations / connections for your marvelous and high resolving system. This information is highly useful to the membership. In particular to those who expressed the opinion that the Recovery is better performing with Wyred4Sound components versus other system components. That is an opinion like any that will be tested by a larger sample of members who are employing the Recovery in their systems and the configuration/connections.

Over the hours of accumulation heading toward 100+ before I posted my review, I discerned changes along the way. I understand that you discerned the Regen and Sbooster SMPS active filter together as wonderful. With my JS-2 and Regen, there were many improvements but overall wonderful was not the assessment I would describe my experience.

It will be interesting to learn given your splendid assessment of what was whether the RUR (with an SMPS or LPS of your choosing) is as splendid, less or (smile) more splendid. I am in the more splendid group as you know.

The Meanwell SMPS provided with the Regen compared to the JS-2 made a difference. As did feeding the Regen 9V vs 7.5 or 7.0V with the Mean Well and then the JS-2. Changing from 7 to 9V employing the JS-2 was "just right" in my discernment.

With the supplied SMPS for the Recovery (9V) the result was reasonable. 7.5 to 8.0 out of 10. With the JS-2 powering the Recovery, 9.5 to 10 out of 10. I have no doubt given your high resolving system that you will reach a finding that you are confident about. How that turns out will be another page in this thread's resource of information to the membership for their consideration.

EJ mentioned to me that 1 to 2% of the variety of Dacs had issues with the RUR. Not surprising for a new device on the market and the complexity and variety of Dacs. He has made a change to address the feedback received and indicated the revision would be available shortly. I am curious how the revision will serve the membership in their employment of the RUR.

Once again, appreciate the time and information provided to respond to my query.

The music's the thing; the equipment seduces.

Enjoy the music,

Richard

I received my RUR today. Out of the box I am pleased. I will give it time before further comment.

Note: RUR needs to have 5v power in from USB cable. I had to remove the tape from my 200mm CC power pin.

2012 Mini > 0.8m CC > Intona > 200mm CC > RUR > 200mm CC > Off-Ramp 5 > AES/EBU > SFD2 MKIII

I've received and email from W4S about the problems with the Bifrost dac. Here it is.

"Hi John,

I thought I’d email you with an update: on further investigation, we believe the issue lies with some DACs (including Schiit) which draw larger amounts of power from the USB port than others, thereby causing the Recovery to go into internal protect mode which consequently breaks the connection from computer to DAC. Since learning of this issue we have come up with an updated Recovery board that will work with these larger power demands, thus eliminating the issue. We are currently running through final testing on this revised version and they should be ready next week.

Our plan is to send out these new Recoverys out next week to those in this situation and include a return label to ship yours back, so you can finally enjoy the Recovery with our thanks. Hopefully you find that agreeable. If so, can I get your original order #?

Thanks,

Tony

PS, regarding Schiit DACs, we found an FAQ on their website (http://schiit.com/faq/dac-problems) which is interesting in that it recognizes a potential known issue with their DACs and requiring too much USB power. They suggest inserting a powered USB hub between computer and DAC (coincidentally, we have a customer in the same boat as you who tried a USB hub and in fact, it ended up working with the Recovery), however, we don’t really view that as an ideal solution and the revised Recovery won’t need it."

Think they might have a grip on it now. One thing that concerns me is having to take the tape off the +&- of the USB cable. That is an improvement that I like with using the Regen. I will post my discovery and comparison once I receive the new Recovery.

John Withem

Proprietor

JW Audio.

http://www.jwaudio.net/default.html

When I installed the RUR (Powered by a Paul Hynes LPS) the leds did not come on. When I removed the tape on my USB cable power pin the leds were on. I do have tape on the USB power pin connecting the RUR and Off-Ramp 5.

I replaced a regen in my configuration. There is a positive improvement.

I should have my RUR in a few days and will of course let you know what I think of it. I am interested to see if there is a difference in sound as more time is put on the device. Although you have stated earlier in the thread that you did, in fact, hear a large improvement as you got closer to 100 hours on the device, I can't fathom what would make it sound different. The RUR is only passing data packets to the USB port on the DAC, nothing remotely looking like audio is in the chain yet. I have a good understanding of what the RUR is doing and because of that I have bought it, but that it needs a significant break in, I will have to see for myself.

ReadyNAS Ultra/6 stored flac->GigE network->roon->Uptone JS-2->microRendu->W4S Recovery->W4S DAC-2v2 SE>W4S STP-SE STG2 Preamp->W4S ST-1000 Amplifer->Von Schweikert VR-44

That means that 5v's are running right next to your signal going through the USB cable from your server/computer to the Recovery. Not good. But if it sounds better... it is better.

Why is that not good, isn't that how it is supposed to be?

ReadyNAS Ultra/6 stored flac->GigE network->roon->Uptone JS-2->microRendu->W4S Recovery->W4S DAC-2v2 SE>W4S STP-SE STG2 Preamp->W4S ST-1000 Amplifer->Von Schweikert VR-44

That means that 5v's are running right next to your signal going through the USB cable from your server/computer to the Recovery. Not good. But if it sounds better... it is better.

It is my understanding that some devices need 5v (EG. Xmos Chipset in Berkeley Alpha USB). Perhaps this is the case with the RUR.

The Curios USB Cable I am using has the power wire outside of the data cables. There are various others designed like this as well.

My SPDIF requires no USB power and I have blocked it from the RUR.

I have no regrets with this purchase.

Gentlemen,

Let me remind you that this is a Recovery findings thread. It is intended for purchasers of the RUR to assess its performance and report their findings here for the benefit of others as well as yourselves.

What you did to improve your Regen is off topic for this thread. What you have to undo to make the Recovery work as designed is not relevant here.

If you wish to compare the Regen with the Recovery, I have started a comparison thread for that purpose. The latest posts are not what this thread is about. Please PM each other or post at another thread. If you wish to post your findings about the RUR that is fine.

Your cooperation is appreciated. This is a curated thread, and I would appreciate if you keep your posts about the RUR findings as the topic of this thread.

Thank you in advance.

Best,

Richard

I received my Recovery late on Tuesday and attempted to get it installed in my system yesterday. I was unsuccessful in getting it to connect to my DAC which is the Bricasti M1. When I simply replaced the RUR with the Regen or directly connected my USB cable to the DAC everything worked fine, but with the RUR in place it operated exactly the same as if no DAC was connected. I tried everything possible to overcome the problem but couldn't find a solution. So I contacted W4S and dealt with Tony who was very patient and helpful. He explained the problem that they've found with certain DACs as detailed in other posts above. I noted that the Bricasti also uses the XMOS USB receiver which seems to be one that can cause the RUR to break the connection between the PC and DAC. Tony kindly offered to send me a newly updated RUR to try and I'll report back here once I receive it and have it operational. I have to commend Tony and W4S for their professionalism and quick turnaround in resolving this issue. With so much variance in everyone's gear, with numerous DACs and PCs there are inevitably some compatibility issues that will be encountered when a new product interface like the RUR is introduced. How a company handles such issues when they arise speaks volumes about their customer commitment, level of support, and how highly they value customer satisfaction. W4S gets the highest marks from me, and I'm looking forward to making a complete Recovery!

I received my Recovery late on Tuesday and attempted to get it installed in my system yesterday. I was unsuccessful in getting it to connect to my DAC which is the Bricasti M1. When I simply replaced the RUR with the Regen or directly connected my USB cable to the DAC everything worked fine, but with the RUR in place it operated exactly the same as if no DAC was connected. I tried everything possible to overcome the problem but couldn't find a solution. So I contacted W4S and dealt with Tony who was very patient and helpful. He explained the problem that they've found with certain DACs as detailed in other posts above. I noted that the Bricasti also uses the XMOS USB receiver which seems to be one that can cause the RUR to break the connection between the PC and DAC. Tony kindly offered to send me a newly updated RUR to try and I'll report back here once I receive it and have it operational. I have to commend Tony and W4S for their professionalism and quick turnaround in resolving this issue. With so much variance in everyone's gear, with numerous DACs and PCs there are inevitably some compatibility issues that will be encountered when a new product interface like the RUR is introduced. How a company handles such issues when they arise speaks volumes about their customer commitment, level of support, and how highly they value customer satisfaction. W4S gets the highest marks from me, and I'm looking forward to making a complete Recovery!

Hello Bill,

Welcome back or is it your first time?

I appreciate the balanced view you've taken. How right you are given the variety of components and the different technologies used or variances that for some allow the handshake and the connection and for others the welcome wagon is closed.

I was impressed with how quickly EJ Sarmento realized what the issues were and how fast he arranged for a different board suitable for handshaking with some Dacs that differ in what works with the RUR's first and original board. I have one of those boards and needless to say, the RUR and my Wyred4Sound Dac2 DSDse make beautiful music together.

Your experience and others, i.e. The Wryd Bifrost Dac provide EJ Sarmento with immediate feedback, such that what is regarded as a failure is actually feedback that invites a solution. It's impossible as you point out to design for every Dac out there. Hence, the initial offering met with real world conditions of different interfaces and requirements for the RUR to work. Whether or not another device does not have that same issue, devices all have issues. This particular one should worked out and the RURs that are susceptible replaced with as little inconvenience as possible. I believe W4S is seeing to it that the returns and replacement shipping are a fait accompli.

Thank you for making this crystal clear along with other members who have posted the problem and notice of a solution to follow as expeditiously as possible.

I look forward to your findings, if you will favor us with your assessment of the RUR when you can.

Good fortune along the way.

Best,

Richard

Hello All:

As this thread is a resource thread for the membership, specifically for findings assessed by CA member users of the RUR from direct experience, how-to, problems, solutions, your configurations and connection information for others to understand what systems the RUR is being used with, yesterday several opinions outside the focus of this thread were expressed and reacted to.

How those exchanges though Off Topic affected the reader's perception, concerns, future expectations, even whether or not to consider the RUR for their system, is matter of concern for me. For some members being asked to take their opinions on certain matters to other threads, or to start their own thread, is received as editing them or worse as assessing the quality of the information they offer as something more than speculation, even censorship.

Curating a thread by necessity requires a judgment as to whether the information communicated is on topic and not on the quality of the information. It's the content. And that is for the membership to assess at an appropriate thread.

Furthermore, assessing the merits of the RURs performance with accessories that have been modified by the member and then assessing with tampered with accessories changed and changed back is introducing conditions which in my opinion threaten the validity of their findings on the performance of the RUR. Hence, the decision by me to remove those posts. Whether or not the accessories used to feed the RUR worked with another device, is not relevant. And,

Opinions about the design of the RUR by members in lieu of the actual designer's input is at best speculation. Often, in my experience, members express their opinions as fact accurate and comprehensive and presume to know more about matters they only assume is true.

I am calling for a time out so that the message in this post which is intended to convey comments by the designer not be used to resume the off-topic speculation about the RUR's performance.

Additionally, attributions made by members that my reasons for curating the thread and expressing the rationale is to co-opt the direction of this thread that excludes any comments a member chooses to post is typical of so many other threads that devolve into rambling, chaotic threads where the topic is blurred and obscured the knee-jerk comments that may elicit a response and then a discussion and then opinions that will surely derail this thread. Start with a thread about assessments of a device's performance and suddenly bicycle sprockets are being discussed.

In other words given what was expressed yesterday and what impressions and what those assumptions had on the perspectives of the posters and readers of this thread which I assessed as off topic deserves a response from the designer for the limited purpose of offering the designer's input for your consideration.

Discussions about modifying a setup specific to another device to make it serviceable, and what must be changed back which tampers with accessories a second time employed to then assess the performance for the RUR and the consequences are outside this thread's focus.

At the same time, to add to the complexities of assessing the performance of the RUR, it has become apparent that the initial model of the RUR design is not compatible for all the Dacs used by members. As one member articulated given the variety of Dacs and the differences in what is employed in the performance of the Dac, there is a greater possibility that the RUR as designed may only work with certain Dac designs and not others. And,

Once this important feedback (vs failure) was made known to EJ Sarmento, he diagnosed the the trigger(s) and implemented a revised design that would be compatible for other Dac models' requirements for specific power conditions, etc.

One can confer with Wyred4Sound support to determine what specifications are compatible for using the RUR and what one may or may not experience for the quality of sonic performance. The modifications of other accessories made to work with other devices which must be undone to work with the RUR is a topic for another thread, i.e. The comparison thread I started. Or you own thread. Just not this thread. It's called redirection not censorship.

For those who would benefit from the designers perspectives, consider the following: I am providing EJ Sarmento response verbatim. In so doing: PLEASE TAKE NOTICE:

I am NOT inviting a further discussion on the design and technology used that was bandied about yesterday with speculations about what ifs and what to expect form the design choices. That can be conducted elsewhere to one's heart's content. BUT having created this thread for findings for RUR and then leaving the assumptions, speculations and presumptions unaddressed would, to my sensibilities, be a tacit disservice to the membership. Posts willy-nilly is not resource quality, it's more akin to gossip and not a substitute for the designers revelations. Whether or not you accept the designer's perspective is, of course, in your province.

The music's the thing; the equipment seduces.

Best,

Richard

From EJ Sarmento:

The 5v Vbus power is required on the input to the Recovery to ensure a handshake is initiated with the computer once plugged in. This is only a detect line that is monitored for when power is present (computer is plugged in or turned on). At that point, initialization takes place and should become operational. If this is (sic) power line is removed from the source, it may cause erratic behavior that will likely prevent the RUR from working or not activating the connected device at all.

The power to the output jack is supplied from the internal power supply that is sourced from the DC connector on the input side. In no way should the 5v source from the computer (USB cable) affect the sound as it is not associated to the output connector in any way.

The over current situation caused with such dacs as we’ve seen commonly with Schiit products is happening because we have an internal current limit set lower than what such a device is requiring which happens to be 2-3x what our products demand. To compensate for this, we will have another version available next week that should not exhibit such issue with USB devices that require similar currents. Please note that the warning that is generated on the computer is initiated from the limit set in our circuit to disable the output once the limit is reached – no damage should occur from this as it is a safety we had put in place.

Oh My... (said in the best George Takei imitation I can do)

Big difference from the 1 and 20 hour "peak". Detail I never noticed before in well known tunes has appeared. Better bass without a doubt. A certain purity to the sound. Hard to be more specific right now. Will need to A-B (but thats going to be in another thread, right Richard (smiles)).

This is with the stock SMPS of course. A 9 volt linear power supply is on order.

Regards

Barry

RUR arrived, Curious cables enroute. Opinion to follow in a week or two... Yes, I know, welcome to the thread, post RUR here, Curious there.

Magnepan 3.7i speakers, REL S/3 sub, PS Audio BHK250 amp, Wyred4Sound DAC2 DSDse, Server - Atom N2800 motherboard, 4GB RAM, 500GB SSD running Windows Server 2012, Audiophile Optimizer 1.40 and JRiver MC 21.

Hello All:

Having employed the AQJB X2 adding one at a time, i.e. one in line with the LightSpeed 0.8m (standard, red) to the Regen with hardadapter to the Wyred4Sound Dac2 DSDse, and a second AQJB in the next USB output port which required an extension cable of six inches (6") to fit side by side in standalone, I assessed the AQJB X2 as helping out with what I found the Regen SQ to be edgy, overly bright, glossy metallic, digital, and slightly fatiguing but also enhancing the SQ at the same time with certain limitations to the lower bass and a touch of the middle. Overall, blurry compared to what it was without the Regen. I left the AQJB X2 in place.

Not long ago, I replaced the hard adapter supplied by UpTone Audio with the CRL200mm (which I now refer to as Curious Recovery Link200mm). The difference between the CRL200mm and the hard adapter was very discernible. Guess which stayed.

Four days later, impressed by the CRL200mm, I asked myself, "Myself" what would the Curious Cable 0.8m bring to the system's sonic signature quality. In a week I found out. I replace the LightSpeed 0.8 (Standard, red) with the CC08m and set out to accumulate the 50-100 hours recommended by Rob Woodland before breakin was apparent. I peaked every 25 hours; and, when I reached the 100 hours, guess which USB cable I decided to employ.

Have ordering the Recovery USB Reclocker before the New Year, one of the early adopters, the RUR arrived in 3 days after the first ten (10) units were shipped. You may recall, a short shipment interfered with a more ambitious shipment to the fill those orders.

I replaced the Regen with the RUR, observed that both of the vertical lights were lit, and for the next four days added 100+ hours on the RUR while adding an additional 100+ hours to the Full Loom CC now about as broken in as I imagined it might take.

Did I mention that I also removed both of the AQJBs. And even before that, having removed the Regen and before replacing with the Recovery, I listened to the CC08m solo. Pretty good. The equal of the LightSpeed? Pretty good.

Having listened to the RUR with the Full Loom CC for some weeks now, I was curious (no pun intended) to review what the return of the AQJB would bring to the best SQ I have experienced. I was not alone in this curiosity. So was EJ Sarmento, who sounded like a proud father of a new born and did his new baby have the requisite number of fingers, toes, faculties...

I had not a clue what to expect. All I knew was that the AQJB helped the Regen along up to a point. And so a few days ago, with my system shutdown tight, I added the first of two AQJBs, the first connected to the Curious Cable 08m in the preferred USB output port I have only used since 2011 for the USB cable. And,

Listened to Bill Frisell's When You Wish Upon A Star, HDtracks.com download, AIFF 88.2/24, which by the way is what I am listening to as I write this review. Guess what I discovered?

The one sitting on the Ekornes in black leather typing on an iPad Air 2. Yes! You! Well?

I like Once Upon A Time In The West theme (Ennio Morricone). No about the RUR and the AQJB, you twit!

Oh, um, er', I am confused. How so? I am confounded! Yes, but about what? Oh, well, the opposite is happening. And? And I don't care for the SQ now. How specifically? Well, what was the best SQ sonic quality signature, now sounds a touch brighter. Harder. Clean. But what happened to that gorgeous SQ with the RUR. It was perfect. Now it's not. I mean Petra Haden doesn't sound so lyrical singing Moon River, and Frisell's guitar doesn't sound so electrifying when he plucks on the overtones. What happen to that relaxed, easy, acoustic, vibrant, dynamic, dimensional sound? It got harder and brighter and more digital again. Not like last time.

Thank you, keep writing. What happened when you added the second AQJB?

Not that much, pretty much the same, maybe a touch better, but I liked it before those AQJBs were added, when it was just the RUR and the Full Loom and nothing else in between.

That's what I mean by confounding. One result with the Regen and the Full Loom. And without them and just the Recovery and Full Loom, I did not want them back in the system. When added, I knew I did not want them, the two of them, back in the system. Gone was that gorgeous SQ. The confounding part was that the AQJB with Recovery and Full Loom put back what I experienced with the Regen, but was better with the Regen than with the Regen alone. Now with the Recovery and Full Loom, the brighter, harder, more digital sound was there but so were positive characteristics which were outweighed by the brighter more digital sound.

So I removed the the AQJB the CC08m was connected to from the USB output port after shutting down my Mac Mini. And restarted my Mac Mini. Oooops! Where did the W4S Dac2 DSDse go? No vertical lights. Removed the CC08m and then returned it to the USB output port. Voila. Vertical Lights lit green. Still, I restarted the Mac Mini and checked that the vertical lights remained lit. Relaunched Amarra Symphony with iRC in Playlist mode with Gain by-pass enabled, DSD enabled, offset 2.0., as I had been employing all the time I was conducting this study with AQJB X2 and now with only one remaining AQJB in the next USB output port connected by an extension cable.

Started the Frisell album again. Wow! I was back. Petra Haden is singing Happy Trails which just started as I start this paragraph. Perfect timing. Happy trials too. The SQ sonic signature return. I may leave the single AQJB in the USB output port as the SQ is back.

End of album. I have to play the André Previn, Joe Pass, Ray Brown, After Hours, XLD conversion UHD, 32 Bit redbook to AIFF, 44.1/16, followed by the Bill Evans' The Complete Village Vanguard Recordings, 1961, Disc 1 of 3, XLD conversion redbook CD to AIFF 44.1/16. If there's a difference in either of those albums, I'll report back.

I will also have to remove the one remaining AQJB to determine if removing it improves, does nothing, is better left in.

I believe I have conducted every part of my schedule for assessing the Recovery USB Reclocker. And I am still as in love with this device as I have been from the beginning. If I sound like an enthusiast for the RUR, it's because that's what I feel precisely. It doesn't get any better. Ditch the AQJB with the CC08m at least for my system. It detracts.

This concludes my findings for the RUR. If anyone is disposed to report their findings for the Recovery, this is the place. Positive, negative, no change. All you need do is post.

Back to enjoying the best music ever,

Richard

Oh My... (said in the best George Takei imitation I can do)

Big difference from the 1 and 20 hour "peak". Detail I never noticed before in well known tunes has appeared. Better bass without a doubt. A certain purity to the sound. Hard to be more specific right now. Will need to A-B (but thats going to be in another thread, right Richard (smiles)).

This is with the stock SMPS of course. A 9 volt linear power supply is on order.

Regards

Barry

Hello Barry,

Thank you for reporting back. I can just see George Takei as you imitated him. He's a trip and has become even more eccentric over time. Still enjoyable as a characture of himself. Bigger than life.

I just this moment completed a review of the RUR with the return of the AQJB X2 and then with the removal of one AQJB. Your summation after 40 hours computes with me. You actually touched on the an economy of descriptors but accurate as can be. I understand your experience. I don't want to contribute to any expectation bias, so I won't suggest that it gets even better as you approach 100+ hours.

And yes, I found that choice of cables (your choice) and choice of Power Supply (your choice) at 9V, my preference over the acceptable range someone indicated as 6.5 to 12V. 9 for me is the magic number.

And yes, it would be better if your published your A-B comparison elsewhere. Would that be at my other thread, the comparison thread? Please! I am quite interested in your findings for that comparison. If I were to allow the comparison to post here, this thread would go off the rails. Both threads are curated, but the comparison thread lends itself to, well, comparisons which include a broader spectrum to use for comparisons.

I have been a lot of flak for the way I curate this thread. And have been accused of bias in favor of only positive findings. So I was hoping your post this time would have been negative to prove I am not biased. But what can I do. Once again, you disappoint and reports findings that are positive. I happen to concur with all my heart. But...Given how resolving your system is and given you have published the configurations and connections you employ with your system, this report at this stage of breakin is both topical, relevant and, I hope, useful to other members as yet another system different from other where the RUR performs admirably.

Thank you for stopping by and keeping us informed. Please let me know when you decide to post a comparison. And please return with more hours of accumulation to report the progress of your findings.

With appreciation,

Richard

Removal of the the second AQJB is a toss up. If pressed, I would have to say the RUR is best left to its own devices (pun intended). Or maybe it depends on what side of the bed I woke up on.

I'll put the standalone AQJB back in over time and determine if it's a friend to the Recovery. Or someone else's buddy. How's that for walking the tightrope?

Best,

Richard

Edited by REShaman

Snip... I have been a lot of flak for the way I curate this thread. And have been accused of bias in favor of only positive findings. So I was hoping your post this time would have been negative to prove I am not biased. But what can I do. Once again, you disappoint and reports findings that are positive.

Richard, unfortunately I have a negative finding so that you can prove you are not biased.

I received my Recovery yesterday afternoon and it did not work with my Resonessence Labs Concero or Meridian Explorer DACs.

The supplied wall wart, plugged directly into wall receptacle, also caused a high pitch buzz to be emitted from my speakers.

I've notified W4S and am now awaiting their response.

Daren

My System

okay, I received my RUR yesterday.

I was already getting excellent sound before I attached it.

It was easy to attach and worked right away.

I did find that the included SMPS was undesirable.

luckily, I had a small wall wart linear power supply available to provide 9V 0.5 A.

So far, I like it, and I think that it provides more detail, and maybe also a more relaxed sound.

Eric

To continue my initial impressions of the RUR:

Maybe relaxed was the wrong word. I would say at this point that the musical images seem a little more palpable, and that I'm able to hear into the harmonics in greater detail and duration (for example on piano).

okay, I received my RUR yesterday.

I was already getting excellent sound before I attached it.

It was easy to attach and worked right away.

I did find that the included SMPS was undesirable.

luckily, I had a small wall wart linear power supply available to provide 9V 0.5 A.

So far, I like it, and I think that it provides more detail, and maybe also a more relaxed sound.

Eric

I'm surprised that your .5 A SMPS was sufficient to power the Recovery and operate as designed since the included SMPS is 1.3A. What didn't you like about the included SMPS?

2 Channel: Mac Mini late 2014 w/JRiver> Audioquest Diamond USB > Wyred Recovery > Curious Cable USB > Wyred DAC-2v2 SE> MIT Shotgun S1 XLR ICs > Mcintosh C2300 > MIT Shotgun S2 XLR ICs> Mcintosh MC302 > MIT Shotgun S1 > Martin Logan Vantage Speakers

I'm surprised that your .5 A SMPS was sufficient to power the Recovery and operate as designed since the included SMPS is 1.3A. What didn't you like about the included SMPS?

My Vega DAC does not use any +5 V power from the USB cable, and so I was able to get away with a low-cost 0.5 amp 9V Linear power supply that I had left over from another project.

For general use, you probably want 1 amp or more of high quality power, especially if your DAC needs power from the USB cable.

I did try the included SMPS first, but it led to a reduction in sound quality, a small amount of roughness added to the music.

In any case, generally, we all like to use linear power supplies whenever possible to minimize noise and interference.

So my chain is N100H->RUR->Vega

Eric