IGNORED

Wyred 4 Sound's Recovery USB Reclocker Findings For Audio Performance. (Curated Thread)

@Emcee I misread the post above which is for the Recovery USB power/reclocking ("RUR") device. I have both the Recovery and the W4S Remedy which is a similar reclocking device for optical digital such as Apple's Airport Express. I gather they designed it for just my use case which is an iTunes and Apple wi-fi network.

W4S has confirmed for me that while 7V from an LPS-1 is borderline low voltage, it should be okay. I also reasoned that because there's probably a regulator or something that steps the voltage down from the supplied 9V unit, if 7V weren't enough, it just wouldn't work or would sound poor.

I've been having better sound via a microRendu/LPS-1 into my DAC's USB (operating in parallel with the optical/Remedy from the same Airport Express), but recently I decided I prefer the W4S/LPS-1 sound into my DAC's coax. I've done more listening and really the differences are subtle (edges and dynamics)–to me this speaks well of both units. Or my system. Or both. Or...nothing. Nonetheless, I'm very pleased as the sound is marvelous. Thanks again to John and Alex (as well as EJ and Jesus)... Excited to see what comes next to simplify the chain of conversions, filters, and power into a DAC.

I've been looking long and hard for a replacement for my SB Touch. The microRendu appeared to be the solution I was waiting for.

Since my current DAC is coax only this would require that I also purchase a new DAC with USB input in addition to a decent PSU for the mR.

Now I'm reading that the Recovery with LPS-1 could turn out to be an equal or superior upgrade for less money since I wouldn't need to buy a new USB DAC.

To further complicate things...just as I was about to go for the mR along comes the SOtM SMS-200 and SBooster PSU which some claim is superior to the mR for less $$$.

Actually my real concern is the fear that any of these solutions would bring only marginal or no benefits to my current SB Touch setup. Your FWIW and YMMV disclaimer don't do anything to reassure me either but I guess I'll have to pay to find out for myself if I hear a difference or ''think I hear a difference''

Since my current DAC is coax only this would require that I also purchase a new DAC with USB input in addition to a decent PSU for the mR.

Now I'm reading that the Recovery with LPS-1 could turn out to be an equal or superior upgrade for less money since I wouldn't need to buy a new USB DAC.

To further complicate things...just as I was about to go for the mR along comes the SOtM SMS-200 and SBooster PSU which some claim is superior to the mR for less $$$.

Actually my real concern is the fear that any of these solutions would bring only marginal or no benefits to my current SB Touch setup. Your FWIW and YMMV disclaimer don't do anything to reassure me either but I guess I'll have to pay to find out for myself if I hear a difference or ''think I hear a difference''

Understood and empathizing:

I don't mean to lecture or condescend to you or others. Audio is extraordinarily subjective, and pricing is essentially unrelated to that subjective value. Had I not tried the mRendu with LPS-1, I would not know how much more dynamic it is versus my old setup. Had I not tried the LPS-1 with the Remedy, I would not know how the Remedy sounds smoother at the cost of some of that dynamic leading edge sonic attack. Does that make the Remedy better? Only for my taste as I mainly care about PRaT, recording "space", and timbre, mainly drums and cymbals, horns and piano. Vocals, soundstaging, etc. are much less important to me.

Sometimes this hobby is a pain, and you have to decide if it's fun enough to suffer thru the cost and listening impressions of new stuff. FWIW for my ears the Remedy, mRendu, and USB decrapifiers fed by good power are game changers in all my systems (main, office, headphone), in almost all aspects of musical reproduction. I actually heard it first in my office gear as it was "just $200" to "try this gizmo people are raving about."

I've never had that kind of experience with digital audio before. Suddenly all my music sounded fuller, more dynamic, more like... music! That's what opened up my wallet to this new stuff, so to speak. And the new stuff is so revealing, I feel like I hear the shortcomings of all my gear quite easily. (But that said I've found, and am in the sweet spot. For now.)

All this just to say, if you've had this experience already and you're into the music, then your system is doing what it should and your skepticism is well warranted. If you haven't, well maybe try something simple in your chain to see if it's worth it to you. You don't need to jump in whole hog with the power supplies and cables until you decide it's worth it going further.

Hope this helps.

Sum>Frankenstein: JPlay/Audirvana/iTunes, Uptone EtherRegen+LPS-1.2, Rivo Streamer+Uptone JS-2, Schiit Yggdrasil LiM+Shunyata Delta XC, Linn LP12/Hercules II/Ittok/Denon DL-103R, ModWright LS 100, Pass XA25, Tellurium Black II, Monitor Audio Silver 500 on IsoAcoustics Gaias, Shunyata Delta XC, Transparent Audio, P12 power regenerator, and positive room attributes.

• 2 weeks later...

Simple question.

Apparently there's an early version of Recovery and later version. A few questions:

1. Is there only two versions or are there more?

2. What are the differences?

3. Anyone owned both and A/B side by side? Is there any advantages to the earlier version?

Thank You in advance for any help.

Thanks,

UL

Now I'm reading that the Recovery with LPS-1 could turn out to be an equal or superior upgrade for less money

I own and enjoy a Recovery, but comparing the sonic improvements from my Recovery to my microRendu, it is not even remotely close. The improvements from the microRendu are far, far greater than improvements from my Recovery.

Speaker Room: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Pacific 2 | Viva Linea | Constellation Inspiration Stereo 1.0 | FinkTeam Kim | dual Rythmik E15HP subs  

Office Headphone System: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Golden Gate 3 | Viva Egoista | Abyss AB1266 Phi TC 

I own and enjoy a Recovery, but comparing the sonic improvements from my Recovery to my microRendu, it is not even remotely close. The improvements from the microRendu are far, far greater than improvements from my Recovery.

Blake,

Hope you don't mind a quick query thought this is a Recovery thread.

I just read a couple of articles on microRendu an am a bit confused. I see only a ethernet INPUT and usb OUTPUT. So does this function like the Recovery at all where it functions as a USB conditioner? I output my music/audio via my laptop USB into a DAC.

Does the microRendu do that?

Thanks!

So a Recovery installed after the microRendu and before the dac will degrade the sq?

I was going to test this on my system as I have both, and in theory from what I've read elsewhere it shouldn't hurt and maybe help, but really the sound is so outstanding now that if I were choosing to spend money, I'd put it into the power rather than stacking or converting USB. i.e., Consider the new W4S power supply or serious AC power conditioning (don't ask me, I dunno...I'm told Synergistic Research) instead of adding another USB item.

That said, some have found the Singxer F-1 or SU-1 (DDC USB to coax) to be even better than USB alone. I'm not recommending this, just reporting what I've read.

Nonetheless, good power on the Recovery or Remedy (I have both) makes these units really sing. I'm listening to mine now...

Sum>Frankenstein: JPlay/Audirvana/iTunes, Uptone EtherRegen+LPS-1.2, Rivo Streamer+Uptone JS-2, Schiit Yggdrasil LiM+Shunyata Delta XC, Linn LP12/Hercules II/Ittok/Denon DL-103R, ModWright LS 100, Pass XA25, Tellurium Black II, Monitor Audio Silver 500 on IsoAcoustics Gaias, Shunyata Delta XC, Transparent Audio, P12 power regenerator, and positive room attributes.

There is a fair bit of conversation about power supply.

Since the Recovery can't be consuming too much power, how about just putting two lithium ion batteries in parallal and be done with it? Low cost and portable. I'm thinking of two 18650 cells that is now so commonly used for batteries. And this will take one off the grid completely for the Recovery other than the USB connection.

Any reason why this won't work?

There is a fair bit of conversation about power supply.

Since the Recovery can't be consuming too much power, how about just putting two lithium ion batteries in parallal and be done with it? Low cost and portable. I'm thinking of two 18650 cells that is now so commonly used for batteries. And this will take one off the grid completely for the Recovery other than the USB connection.

Any reason why this won't work?

Yes it works, but don't keep it simple ;-)

Best performance I have achieved so far is by using lifepo4 batteries, a Keystone 1048 dual 18650 battery holder soldered with silver-plated wires and terminated with a Oyaide DC-2.1G 24K Gold Plated DC Power Connector plug. Recently I have inserted a 4700uF 63V Supertech 4T T-Network Capacitor (I think any low esr 4-pole capacitor will help) between the battery holder and the power plug.

Cheap and lots of diy fun.

• 1 month later...

Please add the Audiolab M-DAC Plus to the list that does not work with the Revision "A" RUR.

I just purchased one secondhand in the UK and it does not work with my DAC :(

Does anyone know if W4S offer the fix for this, if the item is in warranty period? As although secondhand the original purchase date was within the last 12 months...

Please add the Audiolab M-DAC Plus to the list that does not work with the Revision "A" RUR.

I just purchased one secondhand in the UK and it does not work with my DAC :(

Does anyone know if W4S offer the fix for this, if the item is in warranty period? As although secondhand the original purchase date was within the last 12 months...

Hi jrd1975,

We can update the board if you need. Please click here for more info. We also have a FAQ page on the Recovery.

Hi jrd1975,

We can update the board if you need. Please click here for more info. We also have a FAQ page on the Recovery.

Thanks for this I had already seen this and carried out the troubleshooting steps. I will drop an email to your support / customer service to see what can be done to help. My main problem is that I am in the UK and that returning this for repair is going to prove very costly...

I sent mine back from the UK, it did cost me a bit, think came to circa 50 quid in the end. Had to pay a sizeable deposit which was refunded when the old board arrived at W4S (I did a board swap).

In contrast, Intona sent me a new unit FOC with free delivery and I volunteered to return the old one (I did return it).

IMHO both companies released these products without testing enough permutations, in Intona's defence theirs wasn't meant for audio, but they quickly put in-place a simple, free global upgrade plan. W4S did the same for US customers but rest of the World didn't get the same love.

... that was my experience, yours may differ.

;-)

PS: both products are now utterly superb!

Thanks for this I had already seen this and carried out the troubleshooting steps. I will drop an email to your support / customer service to see what can be done to help. My main problem is that I am in the UK and that returning this for repair is going to prove very costly...

Source:

*Aurender N100 (no internal disk : LAN optically isolated via FMC with *LPS) > DIY 5cm USB link (5v rail removed / ground lift switch - split for *LPS) > Intona Industrial (injected *LPS / internally shielded with copper tape) > DIY 5cm USB link (5v rail removed / ground lift switch) > W4S Recovery (*LPS) > DIY 2cm USB adaptor (5v rail removed / ground lift switch) > *Auralic VEGA (EXACT : balanced)

Control:

*Jeff Rowland CAPRI S2 (balanced)

Playback:

2 x Revel B15a subs (balanced) > ATC SCM 50 ASL (balanced - 80Hz HPF from subs)

Misc:

*Via Power Inspired AG1500 AC Regenerator

LPS: 3 x Swagman Lab Audiophile Signature Edition (W4S, Intona & FMC)

Storage: QNAP TS-253Pro 2x 3Tb, 8Gb RAM

Cables: DIY heavy gauge solid silver (balanced)

Mains: dedicated distribution board with 5 x 2 socket ring mains, all mains cables: Mark Grant Black Series DSP 2.5 Dual Screen

I sent mine back from the UK, it did cost me a bit, think came to circa 50 quid in the end. Had to pay a sizeable deposit which was refunded when the old board arrived at W4S (I did a board swap).

In contrast, Intona sent me a new unit FOC with free delivery and I volunteered to return the old one (I did return it).

IMHO both companies released these products without testing enough permutations, in Intona's defence theirs wasn't meant for audio, but they quickly put in-place a simple, free global upgrade plan. W4S did the same for US customers but rest of the World didn't get the same love.

... that was my experience, yours may differ.

;-)

PS: both products are now utterly superb!

Luckily looks like my experience may differ. The UK retailer has agreed to update the board....

W4S support were helpful but unable to offer any viable financial solution.

Once (hopefully) sorted I will post my listening impressions and recommendations related for UK consumers.

So after a few shenanigans I have a "Revision C" RUR which works perfectly with my Audiolab M-DAC +

Kudos to Item Audio in the UK for sorting me out.

Apologies for going off topic as the title of this thread clearly states findings for audio performance.

So my impressions after about 30-40 hours of burn in, using the stock USB and a cheap SMPS.

This has brought my system to life! For the budget minded audiophile this device raises the bar considerably. Others have already put it far more eloquently than myself, but I can see why it has such a number of positive reviews.

Previously I had an iPurifier2 in the chain which whilst I felt it did remove some digital glare the overall result was pleasant rather than superb.

In my system the RUR seems to give my DAC the ability to do its job properly, it's like I am hearing how good the DAC is for the first time.

Very happy and I am now considering the Curious link and maybe down the line an LPS...

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I am using a recovery and an Intona. My laptop is less then ideal so tried the intona first. then bought a recovery. They both do different things. Before I bought the recovery I called W4s to see if what I was doing was overkill and they are very helpful on the phone.

For for me its Laptop, Intona, recovery, dac.

Den: Kef LS50 Wireless, Velodyne SPL1200, Lumin D1, Cayin SCD50T, Jolida D9, Technics 1200, Denon DL160, Wireworld Eclipse Silver 7 IC

Livingroom: T+A PA1530 r Integrated Amplifier, Innous Zen MKIII, L.K.S audio MH Da004, Tyler Acoustics Highland H2, High Fidelity Reveal IC, Wireworld Eclipse Silver 8 Speaker cable. 

Great. Any feedback on the sound? Intona vs Recovery? Intona + Recovery?

I use the both in my chain:

Auralic Aries Mini > Intona > Vbus2 > Recovery (RUR) > Ayre Codex DAC.

The Intona is a finicky device, when it comes to matching with certain DACs, even with the latest firmware. In my case, I could never get just the Intona in the path to function. I could only compare direct vs. RUR only vs. Intona + Vbus2 + RUR.

Net net - both the Intona and the RUR add to the SQ. For my setup, I am happy to have both. The effects are very difficult to describe but easy to hear. It's an opening up of the soundstage, a more expansive sound, instruments sound less flat and take on more of a shape and texture.

Before you ask :) - the relative contribution to the improvement was roughy 60-75% RUR, and 25-40% Intona. But this is just me putting numbers to a subjective improvement.

The RUR does require a good power supply. In some cases - you will find a huge improvement due to the Uptone LPS-1, which always happens if you place the LPS-1 in a position to break a ground leakage loop. In my case, that did not happen, so I realized almost all the benefit of the RUR using a $80 Chinese "el cheapo" LPS.

YMMV.

I tried the RUR, powered by the "El Cheapo" PS when I had the REGEN in my chain. It did have a negative effect on SQ by 'homogenizing' the treble and thus removing 'air' and detail from the sound presentation. So I removed it.

For my system details, please see my profile. Thank you.