IGNORED

Wyred 4 Sound's Recovery USB Reclocker Findings For Audio Performance. (Curated Thread)

Jiffi32, did you also try or use an Intona in combination with your Hugo? I ask because I am tempted to try one. I own a Hugo as well. It does not have galvanic isolation so I expect an Intona would do even more to SQ than a Regen or RUR.

I use the olimex galvanic isolator which only works at usb 1 speeds but I don't have hi-res files so that's no problem. have not tried the intona. Am waiting for a Westlake Detox to replace all the little boxes

customer server+AudiophileOptimizer >>UltraRendu (SR4) >> Lush(JSSG360) >>> IsoRegen(SR4) >>> Lush^2 >>> blu2 >>Blaxius^2D >> Dave > HD800(SDRmod)

I have the PPA V2 card and it makes a noticeable improvement, as did the regen I had before. I found the RUR a step up from the regen.using mine into a chord Hugo.

Thanks Jiffi32

Nice to hear RUR works well with the PPA V2 usb card.

Has nobody tried RUR with an IrDac ?

Asus Prime-P z590 MB. Intel Core  i5 11400 , Jcat usb XE Pci-usb card. Intel Optane m2 with Euphony Stylus software. And running Ramrod.

Jcat Femto Netcard. HDPlex linear w300, HDPlex 400 atx, HDPlex H5 case. MPAudio SLS-hpuln with JCat Optimo Nano Powering the Jcat XE pcie-usb card. Farad 3 lpsu powering the Netcard femto. 2 Buffalo 2008 switch. One stock, and one Buffalo 2008 switch with NewclassD Neutron star Clock powered by MPAudio SLS-hpuln,

Voltcraft fps_1132 lpsu Powering the fibernet box, and first Buffalo 2008 switch. With a Idovr regulator. 

I think I will have to try the Intona myself (or the Mutec MC-3+ USB) to find out if galvanic isolation makes a real difference for the Hugo.

Never heard of the Westlake Detox. What does it do precisely? And do you have a link?

Streamer dCS Network Bridge DAC Chord DAVE Amplifier / DRC Lyngdorf TDAI-3400 Speakers Lindemann BL-10 | JL audio E-sub e110 Head-fi and reference Bakoon HPA-21 | Audeze LCD-3 (f) Power and isolation Dedicated power line | Xentek extreme isolation transformer (1KVA, balanced) | Uptone Audio EtherREGEN + Ferrum Hypsos | Sonore OpticalModule + Uptone Audio UltraCap LPS-1.2 | Jensen CI-1RR Cables Jorma Digital XLR (digital), Grimm Audio SQM RCA (analog), Kimber 8TC + WBT (speakers), custom star-quad with Oyaide connectors (AC), Ferrum (DC) and Ghent (ethernet) Software dCS Mosaic | Tidal | Qobuz

• 5 weeks later...
Based on the posts to date the score is 5 that work and 10 that don't.

RUR works with:

- W4S DAC 2

- PS Audio Direct Stream DSD

- MSE Analogue

- Empirical Off-Ramp 5

- Auralic Vega

Doesn't work with:

- Schitt Bifrost

- Aesthetix Romulus

- Bricasti M1

- Resonessence Labs Concero

- Meridian Explorer

- Rega DAC-R

- ifi DSD Micro

- Marantz HD DAC 1

And also doesn't work with these USB to SPDIF converter / DAC combinations:

- W4S uLink/Bryston BDA-1

- Berkley Alpha USB-SPDIF converter/Berkley Alpha Series 2 DAC

I'm still awaiting a reply regarding my Resonessence Labs DAC. I hopefully will hear from them soon.

I realize it's quite some time since this post.....but I just want to say that I inserted an RUR into my system yesterday as follows: A+ no-upsampling > MBP > 3M Audioquest Cinnamon > RUR > basic short link > Resonessence Concero HD > 1.5M Audioquest Sydney > Rega Elex_R > 3M Audioquest Rocket 33 > Linn Keilidh

No hooking up issues whatsoever with the Concero. The sound quality improvements, after just a day of constant listening, are outstanding.

Next week I am expecting my Curious Cables to arrive, which will complete my upgrades for now. It's hard to imaging how they might actually improve on the current cables but I'm looking forward to hearing if they make as significant a contribution as the RUR.

Tidal / Qobuz--> Roon--> Fios Gigabit--> Netgear Prosafe GS105 --> Supra 8-->EtherRegen --> Fiber--> opticalRendu / CI Audio LPS --> Curious Evolved Link --> Chord Qutest--> AQ Water --> Belles Aria Integrated--> AQ Robin Hood--> Kudos Super 20's

I realize it's quite some time since this post.....but I just want to say that I inserted an RUR into my system yesterday as follows: A+ no-upsampling > MBP > 3M Audioquest Cinnamon > RUR > basic short link > Resonessence Concero HD > 1.5M Audioquest Sydney > Rega Elex_R > 3M Audioquest Rocket 33 > Linn Keilidh

No hooking up issues whatsoever with the Concero. The sound quality improvements, after just a day of constant listening, are outstanding.

Next week I am expecting my Curious Cables to arrive, which will complete my upgrades for now. It's hard to imaging how they might actually improve on the current cables but I'm looking forward to hearing if they make as significant a contribution as the RUR.

Hi OldBigEars,

The (revised) Recovery sounds fantastic with my Concero.

I tried the Curious Regen Link and found that it actually degraded the sound. The sound it produced was too holographic, like a virtual surround sound. I left the Curious link in my system and allowed it to accumulate at least 200 hours. The sound improved a bit but it still just didn't sound right. I put the generic cable back in and the soundstage, imaging, timbre, etc. was greatly improved. I didn't try a Curious cable between the PC and the Recovery and used my DH Labs Silver Sonic. Perhaps the full loom is necessary to get the benefit from the Curious cables? Will maybe try the Curious again in the future but for now it's collecting dust.

I would be Curious to hear your impressions once you get the Curious Cables in your system.

Daren

Hi OldBigEars,

The (revised) Recovery sounds fantastic with my Concero.

I tried the Curious Regen Link and found that it actually degraded the sound. The sound it produced was too holographic, like a virtual surround sound. I left the Curious link in my system and allowed it to accumulate at least 200 hours. The sound improved a bit but it still just didn't sound right. I put the generic cable back in and the soundstage, imaging, timbre, etc. was greatly improved. I didn't try a Curious cable between the PC and the Recovery and used my DH Labs Silver Sonic. Perhaps the full loom is necessary to get the benefit from the Curious cables? Will maybe try the Curious again in the future but for now it's collecting dust.

I would be Curious to hear your impressions once you get the Curious Cables in your system.

Daren

Daren, interesting to hear your experience with the Curious 200mm link - sorry it wasn't a positive step for your system. I'm holding my breath...it's not chump change for a pair of cables. I'll give it a good amount of time to break in and then there will be some hard analysis. If the Curious full loom doesn't add value, then all or part of it is getting a return ticket to Aus. But I'm obviously hopeful it will complete the front end quality of my system. I've been blown away by the positive improvements from simply improving my wall-socket and then adding the RUR. Will let you all know how CC works for me....

Tidal / Qobuz--> Roon--> Fios Gigabit--> Netgear Prosafe GS105 --> Supra 8-->EtherRegen --> Fiber--> opticalRendu / CI Audio LPS --> Curious Evolved Link --> Chord Qutest--> AQ Water --> Belles Aria Integrated--> AQ Robin Hood--> Kudos Super 20's

Based on the posts to date the score is 5 that work and 10 that don't.

RUR works with:

- W4S DAC 2

- PS Audio Direct Stream DSD

- MSE Analogue

- Empirical Off-Ramp 5

- Auralic Vega

You can add the T+A DAC8 DSD to the list that the RUR works with

The RUR works great with Arcam IrDac too.

Even with the 5v pin "liftet"

I made a very short USB link from RUR to DAC with 3 silverplated kobber wires,

Realy sounds a lot better than the Stock cable..

And made a powersupply from a big transformer, and an Audiowind reg. board. Topping it by changing the capacitors to blackgate/nichison from the drawer.

Setting it to 8,8v output.

After some burn-in time this is sounding very good;-)

Everything was made onestep at a time..

Asus Prime-P z590 MB. Intel Core  i5 11400 , Jcat usb XE Pci-usb card. Intel Optane m2 with Euphony Stylus software. And running Ramrod.

Jcat Femto Netcard. HDPlex linear w300, HDPlex 400 atx, HDPlex H5 case. MPAudio SLS-hpuln with JCat Optimo Nano Powering the Jcat XE pcie-usb card. Farad 3 lpsu powering the Netcard femto. 2 Buffalo 2008 switch. One stock, and one Buffalo 2008 switch with NewclassD Neutron star Clock powered by MPAudio SLS-hpuln,

Voltcraft fps_1132 lpsu Powering the fibernet box, and first Buffalo 2008 switch. With a Idovr regulator. 

Hello coforumers! I have a Devialet D200 and I will either buy the uptone regen or the W4S recovery. Has anyone tried them both to give me his thoughts? Speakers are PMC TWENTY 26. Unfortunately, I cannot have both for testing, meaning that the W4S Is not imported here in Greece... Thank you!

Hello coforumers! I have a Devialet D200 and I will either buy the uptone regen or the W4S recovery. Has anyone tried them both to give me his thoughts? Speakers are PMC TWENTY 26. Unfortunately, I cannot have both for testing, meaning that the W4S Is not imported here in Greece... Thank you!

I have a different DAC (see sig), but in my system the REGEN sounded wonderful while the RUR did things to frequency balances that I did not like. (I have since changed to a microRendu, which includes an improved version of the REGEN).

For my system details, please see my profile. Thank you.

I have a different DAC (see sig), but in my system the REGEN sounded wonderful while the RUR did things to frequency balances that I did not like. (I have since changed to a microRendu, which includes an improved version of the REGEN).

My experience (and most of us here) is exactly opposite. The Regen was good until I tried the RUR. After listening to the RUR, the Regen sounded harsh and unbalanced in comparison. This is with two DACs I tried in my system. All my friends also had the same experience. uRendu is wonderful though and neither Regen nor RUR is needed.

I (and my friends) have tried both and RUR is far superior than the regen. Given the statistics of folks who preferred RUR over Regen, I would say go with the RUR.

My experience (and most of us here) is exactly opposite. The Regen was good until I tried the RUR. After listening to the RUR, the Regen sounded harsh and unbalanced in comparison. This is with two DACs I tried in my system. All my friends also had the same experience. uRendu is wonderful though and neither Regen nor RUR is needed.

I (and my friends) have tried both and RUR is far superior than the regen. Given the statistics of folks who preferred RUR over Regen, I would say go with the RUR.

Thank you all for your insight

Hi all,

As I'm currently using the Nano iUSB 3.0 Power as it replaced the Regen, I'm wondering is said current updated versions of the W4S Recovery does in fact work with either the iFi Audio Micro DSD DAC?, or PS Audio NuWave DSD DAC?.

And yes, I've written W4S and never received a response, hence my asking here, and especially those whom might own either or DAC.

TIA!.

O_o scar

Regards,

O_o scar

Hi all,

I'm currently have following system,

PC- Sbooster Vbus isolator -- Curious cable -- Uptone Regen (powerd by BOTW 6V) -- Sbooster Vbus isolator -- Curious cable regen link -- Arcam Irdac (power by BOTW 12V) - Lehmann Linear -- Beyerdynamic T1 headphone (2nd)

At the moment, I have Uptone Regen in the chain of my system, one of the biggest reason I pick Uptone regen instead of W4S RUR is because it is compatible with Sbooster Vbus (2nd generation).

Since W4S RUR cannot go well with Sbooster Vbus. My question is, Will the combination of Uptone Regen and Vbus isolator sound better than W4S RUR alone? Otherwise, I might think about replace the Regen with RUR...

Any help would be appreacited,

Louis

Software: Roon, Tidal, HQplayer 

HQplayer PC: i9 7980XE, Titan Xp, RTX 3090; i9 9900K, Titan V

DAC: Holo Audio MAY L2, T+A DAC8 DSD, exasound e12, iFi micro iDSD BL

USB tweaks: Intona, Uptone (ISO) regen, LPS-1, LPS-1.2, Sbooster Vbus2, Curious cables, SUPRA Certified HiSpeed USB cable

NAA: Logic CL100 powered by Uptone JS-2

AMP: Spectral DMC 30SV, Spectral DMA 300RS

Speaker: Magico S3 MKII

Rack: HRS SXR signature

Hi all,

I'm currently have following system,

PC- Sbooster Vbus isolator -- Curious cable -- Uptone Regen (powerd by BOTW 6V) -- Sbooster Vbus isolator -- Curious cable regen link -- Arcam Irdac (power by BOTW 12V) - Lehmann Linear -- Beyerdynamic T1 headphone (2nd)

At the moment, I have Uptone Regen in the chain of my system, one of the biggest reason I pick Uptone regen instead of W4S RUR is because it is compatible with Sbooster Vbus (2nd generation).

Since W4S RUR cannot go well with Sbooster Vbus. My question is, Will the combination of Uptone Regen and Vbus isolator sound better than W4S RUR alone? Otherwise, I might think about replace the Regen with RUR...

Any help would be appreacited,

Louis

I cant tell you if one is better than the other. But Im using RUR without 5v ( tape on pin), and it sounds even better now.

W4S told me in a mail that the RUR needs the 5v as a detect, but then I saw a review that stated the opposite, and just tried it out.

Short diy usb link to DAC and a linear PS makes RUR sound a lot better too :-)

(Using an IrDac and BOTW like you)

I am planning to buy the RUR to incorporate it into my system, I have already purchased the iFi iPurifier2 and i am wondering if the RUR will integrate well with it or not.

Has anyone tried the ccombination of RUR+iPurifier2 to his system? Are they working together?

My sytem consists of Win10pc->Devialet D200-> PMC Twenty 26 speakers.

Thank you!

I am just trying an RUR. My system is Auralic Aries (full) ->Cardas Clear HS USB -> W4S RUR (powered by iFi iPower) -> generic USB (included) -> Cary DAC 200ts.

So far, after 2 hours of continuous play, the differences are small. The sound is cleaner, has opened up and is more solid, both marginally. However, highs are more sibilant, which I do not like, and I can hear a ringing with brass instruments.

I can also hear a slight high frequency whine with the iFi iPower although I haven't had a switching power supply in my system for a long while.

Would you guys give it more time before deciding?

I am just trying an RUR. My system is Auralic Aries (full) ->Cardas Clear HS USB -> W4S RUR (powered by iFi iPower) -> generic USB (included) -> Cary DAC 200ts.

So far, after 2 hours of continuous play, the differences are small. The sound is cleaner, has opened up and is more solid, both marginally. However, highs are more sibilant, which I do not like, and I can hear a ringing with brass instruments.

I can also hear a slight high frequency whine with the iFi iPower although I haven't had a switching power supply in my system for a long while.

Would you guys give it more time before deciding?

Hi Mikey.

The manual says 60 hours burn in.

So the answer must be: give it more time.

But sounds like You need another powersupply, the whine should not be there.. Try a good linear.

And find or diy a short USB DAC link instead of the one that comes with the Rur, it makes a big difference.

Im VERY happy about my own RUR:-)

(Linear and very short USB link to DAC)

• 4 weeks later...

Hello,

I added the Recovery to my system earlier today. Straight out of the box I'm impressed with the SQ. However, there is a problem. I can hear a distinct clicking sound. It's a bit like what you would hear from vinyl and is really annoying me!

Using the ifi power supply ( new as well ). My DAC is a new Mytek Brooklyn and I'm using the short Curious Cables Regen link.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Morph.

• 3 weeks later...

Just wanted to say I just replaced my Regen with a Recovery and was immediately impressed c the results!!! Larger soundstage, deeper bass, more detail, more "live" quality to the sound. I am esp impressed how much better Tidal HiFi streams sound. My set up: mac mini (2012 16GB RAM, music files on Lacie Thunderbolt ext drive attached) running ROON Server controlled from iPad Pro, Oyaide D USB cable from Mac to the Recovery (using Regen power supply) direct to iFi Micro DSD to onkyo nx 9007 in bridge mode/pure audio setting via Audioquest cinnamon RCAs out to Vandersteen Model 2 via Kimber Cable c two 10" B&W Subs. I also have one Audioquest JB attached to open USB port on Mac Mini next to the Oyaide cable and one on the Oyaide cable as it exits the Mac. Totally surprised by how much better the sound is! Open to other suggestions to tweak further without simply buying big expensive things like a new DAC, computer, amp, speakers! I have dabbled c HQPlayer upconversion c ROON via a 2nd Zone but had many probs and also c using a third zone c Amarra iRC (still determined to see if i an optimize this as I purchased it, ran settings, but never happy c sound compared to the above "plain" ROON setup!)

Back to listening!

Doug!