IGNORED

Wyred 4 Sound's Recovery USB Reclocker Findings For Audio Performance. (Curated Thread)

Oh wow, another audio company from the infamous Mark Schifter! (Google him and judge for yourself.)

Didn't he also make those terrible open baffle speakers? If so, he may have made a speaker worse than his reputation, which is saying something.

Even if I agree that the Regen will perform much better with uber expensive power supply than a cheap one, what makes you NOT think that RUR will perform even better with the same power supply ?

Anything is possible with flawed USB audio !

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

Fair enough. But If I was convinced the JS-2 was a must then I would have to consider. But now a higher end company has even a much better USB clocker Wyred 4 Sound "Recovery" that is so highly touted and selling like hot cakes is available.. so I had to purchase.

PS. And just checking the Uptone Audio website they only sell 4 products and their most expensive product is a power supply doesn't get me too excited. No disrespect. But still.

I hate this expression "but to each his own"

You're not doing yourself many favors in this thread. First, you ask for better power supply options...then you claim to have great ears, but say a $49 power supply is the same as the Uptone JS2. Have you heard a JS2? Is there a person or reviewer you trust on ANY forum who has heard those two power supplies and made the same definitive claim as you???

On top of that, you now make judgments about Uptone based on having only "4 products" yet they are the ones who W4S is copying with the Recovery. Where is your evidence that it's "much better"? A few guys in this thread? How do you know it's "selling like hotcakes"? Last I saw...it didn't even work with some DACs, and they had to create a new version because they forgot about the differing USB power demands of certain dacs.

BTW, you might also want to check how many products are sold by the other brands you own...it's not much more than 4. Alternatively, you can just buy Yamaha gear in the future because I think they have over 15 different models of just AV receivers which should more than pass your primitive litmus test.

and whose output ground is galvanically isolated from mains ground)

--Alex C.

I think the Swagman Labs SE editions must also be isolated as since swapping over I have had to reconnect the ground line in my DIY cable from W4S Recovery to the VEGA.

Source:

*Aurender N100 (no internal disk : LAN optically isolated via FMC with *LPS) > DIY 5cm USB link (5v rail removed / ground lift switch - split for *LPS) > Intona Industrial (injected *LPS / internally shielded with copper tape) > DIY 5cm USB link (5v rail removed / ground lift switch) > W4S Recovery (*LPS) > DIY 2cm USB adaptor (5v rail removed / ground lift switch) > *Auralic VEGA (EXACT : balanced)

Control:

*Jeff Rowland CAPRI S2 (balanced)

Playback:

2 x Revel B15a subs (balanced) > ATC SCM 50 ASL (balanced - 80Hz HPF from subs)

Misc:

*Via Power Inspired AG1500 AC Regenerator

LPS: 3 x Swagman Lab Audiophile Signature Edition (W4S, Intona & FMC)

Storage: QNAP TS-253Pro 2x 3Tb, 8Gb RAM

Cables: DIY heavy gauge solid silver (balanced)

Mains: dedicated distribution board with 5 x 2 socket ring mains, all mains cables: Mark Grant Black Series DSP 2.5 Dual Screen

I think the Swagman Labs SE editions must also be isolated as since swapping over I have had to reconnect the ground line in my DIY cable from W4S Recovery to the VEGA.

I presume that you mean that the -VE lead of the power supply is isolated from A.C. mains earth ?

It's quite easy to do that with many PSUs.

It sounds like you may have been getting the earth return via the shield of the cable if you had previously disconnected the 0 volts (black wire) in your DIY cable, and now need to reconnect the 0 volts wire.

It is not recommended to use the earth return from the shield instead of the 0 volts wire, as this is likely to be a noisier earth return.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

Removing USB gnd was a noticeable improvement at the time, I'm guessing because there would have been 2 earth paths.

I presume that you mean that the -VE lead of the power supply is isolated from A.C. mains earth ?

It's quite easy to do that with many PSUs.

It sounds like you may have been getting the earth return via the shield of the cable if you had previously disconnected the 0 volts (black wire) in your DIY cable, and now need to reconnect the 0 volts wire.

It is not recommended to use the earth return from the shield instead of the 0 volts wire, as this is likely to be a noisier earth return.

Source:

*Aurender N100 (no internal disk : LAN optically isolated via FMC with *LPS) > DIY 5cm USB link (5v rail removed / ground lift switch - split for *LPS) > Intona Industrial (injected *LPS / internally shielded with copper tape) > DIY 5cm USB link (5v rail removed / ground lift switch) > W4S Recovery (*LPS) > DIY 2cm USB adaptor (5v rail removed / ground lift switch) > *Auralic VEGA (EXACT : balanced)

Control:

*Jeff Rowland CAPRI S2 (balanced)

Playback:

2 x Revel B15a subs (balanced) > ATC SCM 50 ASL (balanced - 80Hz HPF from subs)

Misc:

*Via Power Inspired AG1500 AC Regenerator

LPS: 3 x Swagman Lab Audiophile Signature Edition (W4S, Intona & FMC)

Storage: QNAP TS-253Pro 2x 3Tb, 8Gb RAM

Cables: DIY heavy gauge solid silver (balanced)

Mains: dedicated distribution board with 5 x 2 socket ring mains, all mains cables: Mark Grant Black Series DSP 2.5 Dual Screen

If I am not too mistaken, I think it was Schiit who made the first USB reclocker device. Anyways, it doesn't really matter who made the first one - all it matters is what works in their system and how well. There is a plethora of DACs these days and nobody cares who made the ground breaking one earlier :-)

+1, good point Dev.

WS2019 Core Datacenter, dualPC, JPLAY Femto, AO3, Fidelizer Pro 8.8, MC2XY, IOS app.

Richard the curator tested both Regen and RUR using the same PSU (made by Uptone Audio) and preferred the RUR. Like Dev, I owned and tested both Regen and RUR using the same HDPLEX PSU and found the RUR more to my liking. Until John and Alex release their next renovation, the RUR is my favorite USB device.

WS2019 Core Datacenter, dualPC, JPLAY Femto, AO3, Fidelizer Pro 8.8, MC2XY, IOS app.

And then many have replaced all of them with the Intona! Or use a combo. There are many common gremlins in systems and a few unique ones... What computer, what cables (seems every cable and device out there doesn't work in some system), various power supplies, not to mention the crap our utilities send us plus the crap we add to it from all the electronic gizmos we plug in. How many SMPS do you have plugged in at your house? Computers? Everybody's situation is a little different. Hence, to each his own, YMMV, etc. have to look at it as fun to try, learn a little from others, etc.

People on here always ask; Will X + Y - Z sound better in my system? How the hell should we know? We really only know what is better in our own systems. Sometimes. Most people don't really know how to setup an experiment to get a real answer to their question... if they even know the real question to ask!

And then many have replaced all of them with the Intona! Or use a combo. There are many common gremlins in systems and a few unique ones... What computer, what cables (seems every cable and device out there doesn't work in some system), various power supplies, not to mention the crap our utilities send us plus the crap we add to it from all the electronic gizmos we plug in. How many SMPS do you have plugged in at your house? Computers? Everybody's situation is a little different. Hence, to each his own, YMMV, etc. have to look at it as fun to try, learn a little from others, etc.

People on here always ask; Will X + Y - Z sound better in my system? How the hell should we know? We really only know what is better in our own systems. Sometimes. Most people don't really know how to setup an experiment to get a real answer to their question... if they even know the real question to ask!

Very good points Solstice. There are some people here like speshal that think they have the gold standard high end system!

You're not doing yourself many favors in this thread. First, you ask for better power supply options...then you claim to have great ears, but say a $49 power supply is the same as the Uptone JS2. Have you heard a JS2? Is there a person or reviewer you trust on ANY forum who has heard those two power supplies and made the same definitive claim as you???

On top of that, you now make judgments about Uptone based on having only "4 products" yet they are the ones who W4S is copying with the Recovery. Where is your evidence that it's "much better"? A few guys in this thread? How do you know it's "selling like hotcakes"? Last I saw...it didn't even work with some DACs, and they had to create a new version because they forgot about the differing USB power demands of certain dacs.

BTW, you might also want to check how many products are sold by the other brands you own...it's not much more than 4. Alternatively, you can just buy Yamaha gear in the future because I think they have over 15 different models of just AV receivers which should more than pass your primitive litmus test.

Speshal: I am certainly far from an expert. Reading your past posts you were a happy Regen supporter. Anyway, after speaking with several engineers about this particular JS2 power supply for my particular application for the Recovery the JS2 (I don't care how it "sounds") is a complete waste of capital and no sonic difference no matter what you claim!

I see your snide comment about a 4 product company.. Yes Uptone 4 product company still has much to prove.. And is certainly not in the same class as World Re-known BTW Auralic. Sorry. Not even close.

"Recovery selling like hotcakes" Yes. I know 100%. Many different sources about this statement. Even many early uptone

supporters are now moving to the recovery. It's a low cost no brainer decision.

Sounds like you need to read the forum even more closely since they released a 2nd revision of the Recovery.

Additionally, your the one that didn't have success with the Curious USB and kind of freaked!

Exactly, we can only learn from one another and find which works best for our own setup until something better comes up.

Anything is possible with flawed USB audio !

wow, so now the real blame of why RUR is an excellent performer is on flawed USB audio ? doesn't that make the RUR even better (compared to regen) for working so well for everybody who has tried it, irrespective of what power supply they use ?

wow, so now the real blame of why RUR is an excellent performer is on flawed USB audio ?

It's a fix for USB deficiencies by definition, so what's the problem?

Dedicated Line DSD/DXD | Audirvana+ | iFi iDSD Nano | SET Tube Amp | Totem Mites

Surround: VLC | M-Audio FastTrack Pro | Mac Opt | Panasonic SA-HE100 | Logitech Z623

DIY: SET Tube Amp | Low-Noise Linear Regulated Power Supply | USB, Power, Speaker Cables | Speaker Stands | Acoustic Panels

wow, so now the real blame of why RUR is an excellent performer is on flawed USB audio ? doesn't that make the RUR even better (compared to regen) for working so well for everybody who has tried it, irrespective of what power supply they use ?

only a ignorant person who say "anything is possible with flawed USB audio" sandyk!

Speshal: I am certainly far from an expert. Reading your past posts you were a happy Regen supporter. Anyway, after speaking with several engineers about this particular JS2 power supply for my particular application for the Recovery the JS2 (I don't care how it "sounds") is a complete waste of capital and no sonic difference no matter what you claim!

I see your snide comment about a 4 product company.. Yes Uptone 4 product company still has much to prove.. And is certainly not in the same class as World Re-known BTW Auralic. Sorry. Not even close.

"Recovery selling like hotcakes" Yes. I know 100%. Many different sources about this statement. Even many early uptone

Sounds like you need to read the forum even more closely since they released a 2nd revision of the Recovery.

Additionally, your the one that didn't have success with the Curious USB and kind of freaked!

About the JS-2. Personally I think a very good (some say, the best) and flexible audiophile LPS with two rails and selectable output voltage is a very wise investment. It will probably still be in my system in say ten, fifteen years or so. Cannot say that about a lot of other components like DACs, renderers, computers etc.

Streamer dCS Network Bridge DAC Chord DAVE Amplifier / DRC Lyngdorf TDAI-3400 Speakers Lindemann BL-10 | JL audio E-sub e110 Head-fi and reference Bakoon HPA-21 | Audeze LCD-3 (f) Power and isolation Dedicated power line | Xentek extreme isolation transformer (1KVA, balanced) | Uptone Audio EtherREGEN + Ferrum Hypsos | Sonore OpticalModule + Uptone Audio UltraCap LPS-1.2 | Jensen CI-1RR Cables Jorma Digital XLR (digital), Grimm Audio SQM RCA (analog), Kimber 8TC + WBT (speakers), custom star-quad with Oyaide connectors (AC), Ferrum (DC) and Ghent (ethernet) Software dCS Mosaic | Tidal | Qobuz

only a ignorant person who say "anything is possible with flawed USB audio" sandyk!

There are known flaws, known by people who aren't ignorant, hence the various devices out to fix those flaws. sandyk is taking about these and is far from ignorant.

This isn't saying that there aren't advantages to using USB, nor that you cannot get great results with it, but you have to be careful about implementation and system interconnect.

The "everything is already perfect" is what is an ignorant viewpoint.

Dedicated Line DSD/DXD | Audirvana+ | iFi iDSD Nano | SET Tube Amp | Totem Mites

Surround: VLC | M-Audio FastTrack Pro | Mac Opt | Panasonic SA-HE100 | Logitech Z623

DIY: SET Tube Amp | Low-Noise Linear Regulated Power Supply | USB, Power, Speaker Cables | Speaker Stands | Acoustic Panels

There are known flaws, known by people who aren't ignorant, hence the various devices out to fix those flaws. sandyk is taking about these and is far from ignorant.

This isn't saying that there aren't advantages to using USB, nor that you cannot get great results with it, but you have to be careful about implementation and system interconnect.

The "everything is already perfect" is what is an ignorant viewpoint.

And to add to "everything is already perfect", "bits are bits anyway, so what's the fuss about."

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

UpTone doesn't upsell their $1000 LPS for the REGEN. Especially as the REGEN ships with a perfectly good power supply. Indeed many of us have purchased the $65 Chinese ebay LPS aka "the el cheapo" for powering the REGEN as suggested by the engineer that designed the REGEN himself!

There are people that use the $1000 JS-2 LPS with the REGEN but they are few and far between.

Pareto Audio aka nuckleheadaudio

Tallica, you're just wasting bandwith with your posts.

First of all, I didn't even buy Curious Cables, so you're just making stuff up or getting me confused. (Perhaps it's YOU who needs to read the forum more closely).

It's fine to use intuition to judge companies, but your logic makes no sense. On the one hand..you KNOW the Recovery had a defect that required a second revision for many users, and that doesn't bother you. On the other hand, Uptone only having 4 products does bother you despite countless pages of positive feedback on this same forum.

Newsflash: Your money is safe with either company, but taking cheap shots at a company for only having 4 total products right now is sheer folly. Your logic gets even more embarrassing when you claim there is no difference in a $50 power supply to the JS2.

I'll take your word that you are "far from an expert" and appreciate you letting everyone know so we can give your posts the appropriate credibility. Thanks for also reminding me why I usually choose to listen to my system versus post on these forums.

Gentlemen,

Let's focus on discussion of the RUR and avoid attacking any company, be it Uptone or W4S whom both I sincerely respect. Myself, if I ever implicitly played down Regen and Uptone while reporting on the RUR, that's unintentional and I apologize to Alex, John, and all happy Regen users.

Just a thought: Something seems very odd about a 4 product company Uptone Regen that has a $175 USB clocker but tries to UPSELL a $1000 power adapter. Sorry.

Too many things factually wrong in your post to reply. I suggest you spend more time researching previous threads in this forum.

Obviously there were some feathers ruffled about the Uptone Audio JS-2. It's like people think I called it "snake oil" which I certainly didn't. BUt please show me 3 independent reviews from a top audiophile publications print or digital NOT on the ComputerAudiophile website!

There is NOT one outside review on this $1000 product after 1+ years. I am not speaking about the Regan which has received rave reviews.. but now that I mentioned it there is a better product called the Recovery. Yes, the Regan was the first but now there is much better. It happens all the time. No big deal. Fortunately all these high rollers can afford an amazingly inexpensive product so we all can enjoy!

I am happy to discuss in a rational discussion which is what the purpose of the site is all about or at least I hope so.

Sent from my iPad using Computer Audiophile