IGNORED

Wyred 4 Sound's Recovery USB Reclocker Findings For Audio Performance. (Curated Thread)

According to the W4S website, the Recovery is supplied with a 9V SMPS supply. Did he think the lower voltage was in some way better?

From the Recovery website: "The included power supply is 9v 1A, and the Recovery has been tested stable from 12V down to about 6.5V."

After talking with Kenneth he determined that 7.5V/2A would work fine and it does! Sounds great and the power supply/Recovery run cool and fine.

Thanks,

Spence

As mentioned earlier, Ken has built many LPSU's for the Regen so building one for the Recovery is quite similar - although I had mine built a couple months ago right after I received the Recovery so I think mine was the "prototype" model. It's a smashing success. And yeah, I felt silly paying more for the LPSU than the Recovery but I figured my secret was safe on this forum! [emoji15]

I don’t think it’s necessarily silly to have an expensive LPS for something like the Recovery – I know they can make a big difference with DACs. It’s just that 7.5v is very specific and sort of odd. I can’t think of any devices requiring that voltage. I know W4S give a ‘safe range’ for voltage. But the fact that they package a 9v supply with the unit would seem to suggest that’s the optimum?

Uptone JS-2...one of the best.period!

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile mobile app

So spend $925 for power supply for a $200 USB recovery? Insanity. Come on now.

I was searching online for the iFi and its hard to find and not in stock in the US

Insanity. $925. Overkill. Above and beyond. No audible sonic difference between this and the iFi for $49.99

Replying to my own quote. Not that I would mind spending additional capital if need be but.. the Auralic Vega Processor doesn't need the 5V so just the MacbookPro to the recovery needs the power only and then the Curious Cable usb "regen"/recovery 200m link will be without the 5V.

No audible sonic difference between this and the iFi for $49.99

That's pretty funny. Clearly you have never auditioned our choke-filtered, dual-output, 5-7A LPS versus the little iFi SMPS wall wart. :)

But I agree that our big supply is overkill for just a USB hub (that's what the Recovery, REGEN, et al are). Yet many who invest in a JS-2 do use it for that--in addition to powering their computer and/or DAC, USB>S/PDIF converter, headphone amp, etc. A robust, fast, and very clean supply (which, unlike all other LPS or SMPS units, kicks nothing back into the wall and whose output ground is galvanically isolated from mains ground) is good long-term investment that will outlast a lot of other system components.

Still, it won't be long until we drop the bombshell about our FPGA-controlled 1A 3.3/5/7V isolated LPS--to go with the REGEN, microRendu, Squeezebox Touch, Recovery, USB cards, SSDs, etc.

(see: http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f27-uptone-audio-sponsored/uptone-audio-regen-power-supply-add-24963/index24.html#post517120)

--------

Speaking of JS-2 owners: Has anyone here heard from our friend Richard--this thread's OP and "curator?" His last post here at CA was February 17th. I am a little worried about him going silent. I'll send him an e-mail to be sure he is okay.

Best,

--Alex C.

Insanity. $925. Overkill. Above and beyond. No audible sonic difference between this and the iFi for $49.99

+1

Audiophool territory. Thing is, get the right people to wax lyrical about 'timbre', 'separation', 'blacker background' and there will be a long queue who will pay it.

Or how about using a different connection if USB is causing you so much trouble and expense.

That's pretty funny. Clearly you have never auditioned our choke-filtered, dual-output, 5-7A LPS versus the little iFi SMPS wall wart. :)

But I agree that our big supply is overkill for just a USB hub (that's what the Recovery, REGEN, et al are). Yet many who invest in a JS-2 do use it for that--in addition to powering their computer and/or DAC, USB>S/PDIF converter, headphone amp, etc. A robust, fast, and very clean supply (which, unlike all other LPS or SMPS units, kicks nothing back into the wall and whose output ground is galvanically isolated from mains ground) is good long-term investment that will outlast a lot of other system components.

Still, it won't be long until we drop the bombshell about our FPGA-controlled 1A 3.3/5/7V isolated LPS--to go with the REGEN, microRendu, Squeezebox Touch, Recovery, USB cards, SSDs, etc.

(see: http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f27-uptone-audio-sponsored/uptone-audio-regen-power-supply-add-24963/index24.html#post517120)

--------

Speaking of JS-2 owners: Has anyone here heard from our friend Richard--this thread's OP and "curator?" His last post here at CA was February 17th. I am a little worried about him going silent. I'll send him an e-mail to be sure he is okay.

Best,

--Alex C.

I was wondering about Richard too?! Hope he's okay.

Fair enough. But If I was convinced the JS-2 was a must then I would have to consider. But now a higher end company has even a much better USB clocker Wyred 4 Sound "Recovery" that is so highly touted and selling like hot cakes is available.. so I had to purchase.

PS. And just checking the Uptone Audio website they only sell 4 products and their most expensive product is a power supply doesn't get me too excited. No disrespect. But still.

I hate this expression "but to each his own"

I was wondering about Richard too?! Hope he's okay.

+1

Speaker Room: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Pacific 2 | Viva Linea | Constellation Inspiration Stereo 1.0 | FinkTeam Kim | dual Rythmik E15HP subs  

Office Headphone System: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Golden Gate 3 | Viva Egoista | Abyss AB1266 Phi TC 

t1, there are definite differences in sound between power supplies due to their different designs. More than one way to skin a cat, you know. If you have not listened to any or listened carefully, be careful, you know not from which you speak. I see by your sig that you must have found enough difference in power cords to justify spending the bucks on those. To each his own!

Fair point. But I was specifically referring to how I am plan to use the Recovery and Power supply which would be direct with the MacBook Pro and not to the Auralic Vega Processor since it doesn't require power and I was told by a audio engineer today that there would be no human audible difference (and I have excellent ears) with this particular purpose. We all have to make judgements and yes I relatively new to computer audio and certainly understand there is a lot of gray. And yes about power cords!

So spend $925 for power supply for a $200 USB recovery? Insanity. Come on now.

I have a better idea, an AC Regenerator to plug the USB Recovery into, as well as the DAC-2. There is a new

AC Regenerator coming out for $999 from Core Power Technologies, should be shipping in a week or so. It is

called the POWER=CORE 300, a 300 Watt AC Regenerator. If you have a large system (powerful amp), you would plug

the recovery and the DAC-2 into the regenerator. I have a single 250 watt amp, which will allow plugging in the Main AMP

as well. An AC Regenerator will provide the cleanest AC power better than any other unit, hands down.

Fair enough. But If I was convinced the JS-2 was a must then I would have to consider. But now a higher end company has even a much better USB clocker Wyred 4 Sound "Recovery" that is so highly touted and selling like hot cakes is available.. so I had to purchase.

W4S owner EJ is an excellent digital designer with proven track record. His DAC used to be the state of the art at the given price point and I used to own this amps and stp-se preamp at some point and very much loved it. So its no surprise that RUR is working so well for so many folks and even for me. I had Regen for sometime now but couldn't really get over it - while it did improve in the bass region, it did take away on the mids and highs. From time to time, I took it out and put it back in my system but never could have it permanently. This wasn't the case with RUR and the improvements it bought (taking nothing away from Regen). I use a hd-plex LPSU to power RUR (or regen when I used it earlier) and don't have the uber expensive power supply to power the Regen (and I don't believe they make a whole lot of difference in a low power device like RUR) but I guess RUR would have performed equally better with them.

If it wasn't for the ground breaking Uptone Audio USB Regen designed by John Swenson , would the plethora of other devices have become available ?

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

If I am not too mistaken, I think it was Schiit who made the first USB reclocker device. Anyways, it doesn't really matter who made the first one - all it matters is what works in their system and how well. There is a plethora of DACs these days and nobody cares who made the ground breaking one earlier :-)

If I am not too mistaken, I think it was Schiit who made the first USB reclocker device. Anyways, it doesn't really matter who made the first one - all it matters is what works in their system and how well. There is a plethora of DACs these days and nobody cares who made the ground breaking one earlier :-)

Some of you appear to have already written off the USB Regen, even before John's highly innovative PSU for it and other devices becomes available. I doubt that too many of you have heard just how well the USB Regen can perform with a MUCH better PSU than many of the cheap linear PSUs that have been used with it so far.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

Some of you appear to have already written off the USB Regen, even before John's highly innovative PSU for it and other devices becomes available. I doubt that too many of you have heard just how well the USB Regen can perform with a MUCH better PSU than many of the cheap linear PSUs that have been used with it so far.

Even if I agree that the Regen will perform much better with uber expensive power supply than a cheap one, what makes you NOT think that RUR will perform even better with the same power supply ?