IGNORED

Wyred 4 Sound's Recovery USB Reclocker Findings For Audio Performance. (Curated Thread)

Blake, sorry to hear that.

I've been using the Rev. B Reclocker with my Berkeley USB converter no problem, sounds good, very good.

And that's been true with both a Mac Mini and an Aurender as the USB sources.

Cables to and from the Reclocker: Curious.

Power to the Reclocker: CIAudio VDC-9 MkII

So, and this is a wild guess, perhaps try changing cables to/from the Reclocker.

And what are you using to power the unit?

And an even wilder guess: try a different cable going from the Berkeley USB converter to your DAC.

LMK if you have further questions, and how things work out.

Dave, who is still having an internal debate between the W4S Reclocker and the UpTone Regen

Is anyone using the W4S Recovery USB Reclocker with a Berkeley Alpha USB converter? I have the Rev. B and I just tried to install it in my home system for the first time and it is not working when using it connected upstream to the Berkeley.

It worked great with my Schiit Bifrost Multibit in my other system.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Music is love, made audible.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Blake, sorry to hear that.

I've been using the Rev. B Reclocker with my Berkeley USB converter no problem, sounds good, very good.

And that's been true with both a Mac Mini and an Aurender as the USB sources.

Cables to and from the Reclocker: Curious.

Power to the Reclocker: CIAudio VDC-9 MkII

So, and this is a wild guess, perhaps try changing cables to/from the Reclocker.

And what are you using to power the unit?

And an even wilder guess: try a different cable going from the Berkeley USB converter to your DAC.

LMK if you have further questions, and how things work out.

Dave, who is still having an internal debate between the W4S Reclocker and the UpTone Regen

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the input.

I used all Curious Cables and for power I used the El Cheap-O LPS.

I tried swapping out 3 or 4 different brands of usb cables and that didn't work. I also tried powering the RUR with the W4S stock supply. I tried the RUR alone, and also tried it in combination with my Intona Isolator. Nothing worked.

When I insert the RUR in the chain with the Berkeley, the two lights on the back of the RUR light up, but then promptly go dark. Lastly, I am using a nice Siltech AES/EBU cable from the Berkeley to my DAC. I didn't try changing that, but I will give it a shot tonight.

I brought the RUR back to work with me this morning, installed it in my work system and it is functioning perfectly, by itself and in combination with the Intona.

Speaker Room: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Pacific 2 | Viva Linea | Constellation Inspiration Stereo 1.0 | FinkTeam Kim | dual Rythmik E15HP subs  

Office Headphone System: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Golden Gate 3 | Viva Egoista | Abyss AB1266 Phi TC 

My initial impression of the RUR

I ordered a recovery usb relocker last Thursday and received it today. Plugged it into my rig between my dell 4th gen i7 pc music server running JRiver and my w4s dac 2 dsd se and all I can say is Holy Cow! A very audible improvement in the soundstage from my old belle klipsch speakers with the volte horn upgrade and alk crossovers. How can this be? Don't know. The bands brown cd flac rip sounded better than l remember the record sounding. Listening to classical and jazz stuff is also something else. Excellent and distinct placement of the instruments in the sound stage

Thank You wyred 4 sound.

Dell 8th gen i7>W4S Recovery USB Relocker>DAC2v2SE 10th Anniversary > ARC Ref 3> ARC Ref 150> Belleklipsch with ALK Eng cross over and Volti Horn

Last night, while watching the Iowa Elections, sitting across from my main system which for the last eight (8) days has been accumulating playing hours with the volume just above a whisper, to my system with the addition of the Wyred4Sound Recovery Reclocker having accumulated close to 100 hours and double that number for the Full Loom of Curious Cables, I received a new beta build for A4THIFIwiRCwARA (Amarra For TIDAL HIFI with iRC with Amarra Remote App) and a request to take it through its paces.

Timing!

Doesn't Sonic Studio know I am preparing for my Recovery USB Reclocker (RUR) review? Prepare? Beta test? Prepare? Beta Test? Both serve the membership and me and both, OK, beta test and then go back to preparing.

After installing the new beta, and all the steps to get the A4T and ARA going, I selected an album, the Bill Frisell, When You Wish Upon A Star, now available on TIDAL HIFI, that I had purchased earlier that evening from HDtracks, AIFF, 88.2/24, and turned up the volume to listening volume to take the beta build through its paces, and almost fell off my near field chair.

I had to gather myself. Seriously. Not exaggerating. What flowed from my system was a sonic quality of the kind I had never discerned before. I wasn't convinced I was actually streaming. Or even that it was really real. How to translate the experience?

Are you familiar with the film, The Wizard of OZ? The film starts out in sienna until the house that Dorothy is in blown away by the Tornado lands on the Wicked Witch of the West. Dorothy opens the front door and the film transfers from sienna into Technicolor full bloom and gorgeous. I was a kid the first time that happened to me.

And it happened again last night. This lush, vivid, 3D, dynamic, clarity but rich with auditory sub modalities just overwhelmed me. The SQ was forward as EJ had described. Forward in the sense that I was enveloped in it in the room and it took several minutes to accept the SQ as I experienced it which was never like this before.

I hurried through the beta test. Didn't skip anything, I didn't need to, the music was streaming without any impediments. As perfectly as one could want A4THIFI to play. Wait! This isn't only the new build, I am listening to. This is the RUR and the Full Loom finally let released at listening volume after eight days; and it's incomparable -- like nothing I have heard. Again, without exaggeration.

I have nothing to compare it to because what I have been listening to as far as add-on devices, cabling, tweaks that came before what has been cultivating for the last eight days is in a class by itself.

I have always loved my KEF speakers, they are neutral and deliver the music as clear as a bell if that's what it's feed but not cold. They were at one time Stevie Wonder's favorites. I know, so what! I do love the Wyred4Sound components they are a match with the KEFs. Don't take my word for it. Let other members who own and use Wyred4Sound confirm or challenge me.

The RUR's heritage is resembles all that came before. The family resemblance is startling, or not. No need for a paternity suit here. The DNA is undeniable. That's why I own W4S stuff. I have for a time longed for this quality of fidelity, which in many respects, what came before delivered but with other characteristics that essentially cancelled for me all that it gave. What to do? Felt stuck. Then added an AQJB, which reduced the brightness. Then a second AQJB that was just right as in better but not best.

With the RUR, I removed the AQJB X2, nothing wrong with them, they're just not needed. Or to be it another way, I don't need them in line. Perhaps in combination with other devices given their reviews one might consider them, keep them or not. With the RUR, it would be like adding to much condiments. As I said, they wonderful when needed. Just not with the RUR.

I will have to praise Rob Woodland's Full Loom which for some are a gift and for others a returnable gift. I just adore them. With the RUR, the Full Loom is a match made in heaven.

I have to add another album to Amarra Symphony Playlist as the lates André Previn, Joe Pass, Ray Brown, After Hours UHD, 44.1/16, album has played through. Hmmm, is anyone still reading this review? Next, Bill Evans' The Complete Village Vanguard Recordings, 1961, Disc 1 of 3, AIFF XLD conversion redbook.

There it is that vibrancy, the dimensionality that Rob Woodland describes as a characteristic of the Curious Cables when broken in. I mention this here because, the RUR and the Full Loom CC compliment themselves so well as to kissin' kin.

I am sure I have communicated sufficiently how taken I am with the RUR. As this is my review based on my subjective experience, with my system components, you will want to check it out for yourself and not rely on my word alone for my findings. That will then require either the lone of a RUR, or taking the device by the reins and taking off with one.

I, for one, am settled in with the RUR. There's not another I need. I know I accepted an invitation to run the RUR and another device in tandem, but on second thought, that was more to cooperate. I have no enthusiasm for the project so I will respectfully withdraw from that assembly.

Last night I had the best music listening session of my life. I employed what is considered by many to be one of the best LPS around. One might wonder but what if Richard were to whip out the SMPS and light that up, would he have reached the same conclusion as last night.

I would have, but I had to wait till now. Before I started this afternoon's listening session, I did just that, hooked up the RUR with the SMPS supplied by Wyred4Sound. Ask me a question, and if I don't answer, nothing's change. Let me run this by you again, just to be clear. Today, I switched to the SMPS supplied with the RUR as I was composing this three part review starting with the Prelude, then Preview and now the Review. My conclusion this afternoon has not changed from the one I was smacked with last night.

Oh, for Heaven's sake, you know I am not equating one to the other as equals. Just as good enough to conclude that there is no equal to the RUR which has preceded it; and surely I will not gaze into the Future and predict something better is sure to come along. For the Present, something better is here and playing in my system. So if you ask me a question about the Recovery's quality, and I don't answer you, I haven't changed my mind from the conclusion that follows. Highly recommended with or without the SMPS. It's the RUR that what I am interested in at this moment. Take one and find out for yourself.

Thank you for your attention,

Richard

Dear Richard,

Thank you, no, many thanks for putting it eloquently, faithfully, and beautifully. Having owned a Regen (Amber) fed by HDPLEX LPSU 9v for about six months and a RUR for 2 days, I can't agree more. Right now a short length of Elijah USB cable is connecting RUR to the DAC, but soon it will be replaced by a CC200mm.

WS2019 Core Datacenter, dualPC, JPLAY Femto, AO3, Fidelizer Pro 8.8, MC2XY, IOS app.

Anyone else have the first second of a song get repeated with their RUR ? Bizaare.

I am going to next power it via its power cable, as I now have it on a battery, and will test it with locally stored music, as I am streaming Tidal.

Initial impressions of RUR;

a) blacker, quieter backgrounds during silent parts... the music is between the notes, they say.

b) more timbre to acoustical instruments and a sense of inferring the musician's attack,

c) more depth of soundstage in that it reveals more of those musical treats in the background; not the same as detail.

d) feels less stressful, less digitalitis, I suppose...only time will tell though.

Now that the RUR has over 50 hours chez moi, it performs just like most happy users have reported: blossoming, pleasantly and surprisingly increases depth and width, envelopes this listener with rich tones and texture, top to bottom balance, and more. Comparing Regen to RUR is similar to swapping a good ultra linear tube for a more expensive and rare NOS tube, only the usual associated tube rush is missing here.

Highly recommended!

WS2019 Core Datacenter, dualPC, JPLAY Femto, AO3, Fidelizer Pro 8.8, MC2XY, IOS app.

Should not run that warm to be safe. For a test, why not run RUR without Intona? BTW, how does it sound with both Intona and RUR in the loop? And, which order do you find better, Intona>RUR>DAC or RUR>Intona>DAC?

I thought of getting the Intona, but your experience souns like a heads up to me. I think I'll be happy with the RUR alone. Thanks for the sharing the I fo.

The Intona is the very best.

I have the industrial version on the way. I truly believe the theory in letting the Intona "clean up" the USB path then let the RUR do its thing to improve SQ. Next...maybe Curious Cables USB full loom. Man this $het never ends!!

I’ve had the Intona in my system for several weeks now. And I have to agree with most people’s experience - everything just sounds better. It’s not a subtle improvement - the SQ is clearly much better. It’s perhaps an advantage that the Intona is a passive device – requiring no power supply of its own. It’s equivalent to an intelligent piece of wire that cleans-up the USB signal, power and ground.

I’ve always been a bit wary of introducing a separately powered device into the USB link. It’s possible this will introduce new problems while fixing others. My feeling has been strengthened by those resorting to battery power for these devices.

The RUR looks interesting, but I guess my concern is that while it may improve some aspects it may also add noise back into the signal cleaned-up by the Intona.

It’s perhaps an advantage that the Intona is a passive device

Fine though it is, the Intona is NOT passive. It is an active, digital device normally powered via the USB 5v line and typically consumes ~200 mW. Powering it with a separate PS rather than the USB can give improved results but my experience was that it had to be a pretty good PS to do so.

HTH

Dave

It actually ends right there.

;-)

I have the industrial version on the way. I truly believe the theory in letting the Intona "clean up" the USB path then let the RUR do its thing to improve SQ. Next...maybe Curious Cables USB full loom. Man this $het never ends!!

Source:

*Aurender N100 (no internal disk : LAN optically isolated via FMC with *LPS) > DIY 5cm USB link (5v rail removed / ground lift switch - split for *LPS) > Intona Industrial (injected *LPS / internally shielded with copper tape) > DIY 5cm USB link (5v rail removed / ground lift switch) > W4S Recovery (*LPS) > DIY 2cm USB adaptor (5v rail removed / ground lift switch) > *Auralic VEGA (EXACT : balanced)

Control:

*Jeff Rowland CAPRI S2 (balanced)

Playback:

2 x Revel B15a subs (balanced) > ATC SCM 50 ASL (balanced - 80Hz HPF from subs)

Misc:

*Via Power Inspired AG1500 AC Regenerator

LPS: 3 x Swagman Lab Audiophile Signature Edition (W4S, Intona & FMC)

Storage: QNAP TS-253Pro 2x 3Tb, 8Gb RAM

Cables: DIY heavy gauge solid silver (balanced)

Mains: dedicated distribution board with 5 x 2 socket ring mains, all mains cables: Mark Grant Black Series DSP 2.5 Dual Screen

It's best if you feed it (inject clean power) with a separate LPS via a split USB cable.

Well OK, by ‘passive’ I just meant not requiring a separatepower supply.

Source:

*Aurender N100 (no internal disk : LAN optically isolated via FMC with *LPS) > DIY 5cm USB link (5v rail removed / ground lift switch - split for *LPS) > Intona Industrial (injected *LPS / internally shielded with copper tape) > DIY 5cm USB link (5v rail removed / ground lift switch) > W4S Recovery (*LPS) > DIY 2cm USB adaptor (5v rail removed / ground lift switch) > *Auralic VEGA (EXACT : balanced)

Control:

*Jeff Rowland CAPRI S2 (balanced)

Playback:

2 x Revel B15a subs (balanced) > ATC SCM 50 ASL (balanced - 80Hz HPF from subs)

Misc:

*Via Power Inspired AG1500 AC Regenerator

LPS: 3 x Swagman Lab Audiophile Signature Edition (W4S, Intona & FMC)

Storage: QNAP TS-253Pro 2x 3Tb, 8Gb RAM

Cables: DIY heavy gauge solid silver (balanced)

Mains: dedicated distribution board with 5 x 2 socket ring mains, all mains cables: Mark Grant Black Series DSP 2.5 Dual Screen