IGNORED

Wyred 4 Sound's Recovery USB Reclocker Findings For Audio Performance. (Curated Thread)

Richard - I believe that you should be commended for the way you are handling these inquiries, in such a professional and unbiased manner. It's all too common that some posters would make assumptions and jump to unsupported conclusions without doing the needed investigation or have first hand experience upon which to base their statements. Your straight forward and honest approach is very welcomed and much appreciated. Hopefully we can all benefit from your experience and that of other early adopters of the W4S Recovery in this thread.

• 2 weeks later...

Oh, I almost forgot, I ordered a adapter to convert my UpTone Audio DC cable's 2.5mm tip to a 2.1mm size so that I can employ the JS-2 LPS and the same cable which is presently terminated with a 2.5mm tip on one end (the other tip is 5.5mm which fits into the JS-2. The Regen accepts a 2.5 as does the MMK for my Mac Mini to power it from the JS-2. If your interested, I ordered the tip adapter from Amazon.com for $2.95 (free shipping). I took some photographs, if you're interested. Nothing spectacular. Just does what I want it to do so I don't have to spend 30 time the cost for a new DC cable with the correct tip. Makes sense?

Richard,

For those who are currently using a Regen with an LPS that they might want to make use of with the Recovery, would this be the correct adapter to use? It appears to be the same as the one you described but I want to be sure that the dimensions and gender of the plugs are correct. Thanks for your input!

Rereading your description of the adapter I'm confused. The UpTone Audio site states that the Regen's DC jack is 5.5mm x 2.1mm, while you stated that it's 2.5mm. I also checked the LPS that was recommended for use with the Regen and its cable is indeed 5.5mm x 2.1mm. So is it actually the Recovery that uses a 5.5mm x 2.5mm jack which the adapter must accommodate? I guess the bottom line is to be certain that the adapter you showed and that which I linked to is the correct one. Your help in clarifying this further is most appreciated.

Thanks for correcting this information Richard, you just made an honest mistake and graciously owned up to it. So since the Recovery uses a 5.5mm x 2.1mm power connector which is the same as that used on the Regen, anyone using a power supply which fits the Regen should not need an adapter to use the same supply with the Recovery. That certainly makes things much easier!

Richard, thanks so much for such detailed initial impressions - you're an excellent writer and very good at expressing your enthusiasm! I have a follow-up question if you'd be so kind to address regarding the two LEDs. You mentioned that they didn't come on when you first powered up the Recovery but I see that they're illuminated in your photos. They are identified on the unit as indicating signal lock and USB type, so I'm not clear on what USB type would indicate. If you can clarify the LED's functions it would be helpful. Thanks again and enjoy the tunes with your newly Recovery enhanced system!

Richard, thanks for your additional description regarding the Recovery's LEDs. Regarding the post above from Alex, I believe he does respectfully raise a very valid point. However another perspective is that since you were using the JS-2 LPS in your previous setup with the Regen, simply swapping the Recovery for the Regen seems to be a valid way of comparing the performance of the units themselves while keeping use of the JS-2 power source a constant. It will be interesting to hear either from you or others how the Recovery performs with its stock SMPS or alternatively with the Regen's provided supply. I look forward to further perspectives and individual experiences with the Recovery on this thread within its scope as defined by Richard. Thanks in advance to all.

• 2 weeks later...

I received my Recovery late on Tuesday and attempted to get it installed in my system yesterday. I was unsuccessful in getting it to connect to my DAC which is the Bricasti M1. When I simply replaced the RUR with the Regen or directly connected my USB cable to the DAC everything worked fine, but with the RUR in place it operated exactly the same as if no DAC was connected. I tried everything possible to overcome the problem but couldn't find a solution. So I contacted W4S and dealt with Tony who was very patient and helpful. He explained the problem that they've found with certain DACs as detailed in other posts above. I noted that the Bricasti also uses the XMOS USB receiver which seems to be one that can cause the RUR to break the connection between the PC and DAC. Tony kindly offered to send me a newly updated RUR to try and I'll report back here once I receive it and have it operational. I have to commend Tony and W4S for their professionalism and quick turnaround in resolving this issue. With so much variance in everyone's gear, with numerous DACs and PCs there are inevitably some compatibility issues that will be encountered when a new product interface like the RUR is introduced. How a company handles such issues when they arise speaks volumes about their customer commitment, level of support, and how highly they value customer satisfaction. W4S gets the highest marks from me, and I'm looking forward to making a complete Recovery!

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...
Complete noddy question!

Take it the iFi iPower 9v works with the Rev B-C RUR?

W4S state "The Recovery requires between 6 and 9v and ~1A"

And the iPower is 9v ~ 1.5A

I am completely ignorant as to how one would work this out! Suspect it's simple if you know how....

That should work fine since the rated voltage is a match and the current requirement is a minimum which the iPower exceeds.