IGNORED

Wyred 4 Sound's Recovery USB Reclocker Findings For Audio Performance. (Curated Thread)

Hi Richard,

I ordered a Recovery yesterday and would like to also order a linear power supply to power it. I considered the ifi ipower but read on other threads that the el cheapo Chinese LPSUs are better. The unit I'm considering is this one Link. It's a 9v 3.3 amp unit with a plug head size of 5.5mm outer dia. and 2.1mm inner dia.

Based on your somewhat extensive knowledge of the Recovery, do you think that this LPSU would be a good choice?

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Daren

I own two 9V El Cheap-O's and just ordered a RUR (I was using these to power my former Regens). I sent W4S an email asking if it is OK to use the El Cheap-O with the RUR and Tony Holt of W4S responded:

"Hi Blake,

Provided the power supplies are stable, 9v and correct polarity, operationally they should be fine with the Recovery. With respect to sound quality improvements, it would be impossible for me to say and best judged by you. I suggest comparing the two in your system once you get the Recoveries.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks,

Tony"

Speaker Room: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Pacific 2 | Viva Linea | Constellation Inspiration Stereo 1.0 | FinkTeam Kim | dual Rythmik E15HP subs  

Office Headphone System: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Golden Gate 3 | Viva Egoista | Abyss AB1266 Phi TC 

• 1 month later...

Is anyone using the W4S Recovery USB Reclocker with a Berkeley Alpha USB converter? I have the Rev. B and I just tried to install it in my home system for the first time and it is not working when using it connected upstream to the Berkeley.

It worked great with my Schiit Bifrost Multibit in my other system.

Speaker Room: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Pacific 2 | Viva Linea | Constellation Inspiration Stereo 1.0 | FinkTeam Kim | dual Rythmik E15HP subs  

Office Headphone System: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Golden Gate 3 | Viva Egoista | Abyss AB1266 Phi TC 

Blake, sorry to hear that.

I've been using the Rev. B Reclocker with my Berkeley USB converter no problem, sounds good, very good.

And that's been true with both a Mac Mini and an Aurender as the USB sources.

Cables to and from the Reclocker: Curious.

Power to the Reclocker: CIAudio VDC-9 MkII

So, and this is a wild guess, perhaps try changing cables to/from the Reclocker.

And what are you using to power the unit?

And an even wilder guess: try a different cable going from the Berkeley USB converter to your DAC.

LMK if you have further questions, and how things work out.

Dave, who is still having an internal debate between the W4S Reclocker and the UpTone Regen

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the input.

I used all Curious Cables and for power I used the El Cheap-O LPS.

I tried swapping out 3 or 4 different brands of usb cables and that didn't work. I also tried powering the RUR with the W4S stock supply. I tried the RUR alone, and also tried it in combination with my Intona Isolator. Nothing worked.

When I insert the RUR in the chain with the Berkeley, the two lights on the back of the RUR light up, but then promptly go dark. Lastly, I am using a nice Siltech AES/EBU cable from the Berkeley to my DAC. I didn't try changing that, but I will give it a shot tonight.

I brought the RUR back to work with me this morning, installed it in my work system and it is functioning perfectly, by itself and in combination with the Intona.

• 3 weeks later...
I was wondering about Richard too?! Hope he's okay.

+1

• 7 months later...
Now I'm reading that the Recovery with LPS-1 could turn out to be an equal or superior upgrade for less money

I own and enjoy a Recovery, but comparing the sonic improvements from my Recovery to my microRendu, it is not even remotely close. The improvements from the microRendu are far, far greater than improvements from my Recovery.