IGNORED

Wyred 4 Sound's Recovery USB Reclocker Findings For Audio Performance. (Curated Thread)

Ordered a Recovery USB this weekend. I use the W4S Dac2 DSDse in my office headphone machine, and do love it. I have the STP preamp (with stage 2 upgrades) in my home system, and currently use a DIY DAC4.1. It only does 16/44 officially, I think the SPDIF receiver chip will accept up to 18/96.

I am contemplating both the Yggy and the new Bryston BDA-3 to replace the DAC4.1. The connectivity on the BDA-3 would be perfect for my setup, and accepts/natively processes DSD input.

I figure that getting the Recovery unit will keep my little DIY fanless music server going for awhile (using the motherboard USB ports) It will need upgrading at some point. Kind of waiting on the next CAPS rendition.

[Home Digital] MSB Premier DAC > Modright LS300 > Atma-Sphere "Class D" Monoblocks > Daedalus Audio Muse Studio Speakers

[Home Analog] Technics SL-1200G > Boulder 508 (Benz Glider SL)

[Office] Laptop > Kitsune R2R lvl3 > Violectric V281 > Meze Liric / Meze Elite

[Travel] Laptop/iPad -> Focal Bathys

• 4 weeks later...

Spent a little while looking at 9 volt power supplies. The pictures shown of the wallwart, that comes with the W4S Recovery, looks a whole lot like the new iFi power supply. This unit is touted to be very low noise, yada yada, and goes for 45 USD or so. TeraDak has a unit that might work for about 160 USD on ebay.

I will probably stick with the supplied power supply for now (if/when my Recovery ships), since I don't already own a 995 USD JS-2 at this point.

Once everything burns in and stabilizes, I might play with cables some.

[Home Digital] MSB Premier DAC > Modright LS300 > Atma-Sphere "Class D" Monoblocks > Daedalus Audio Muse Studio Speakers

• 2 weeks later...
Does anyone knows or have already asked what they mean writing: 1. Isolate and provide cleaner power.

What way isolate, digitaly - doing reclocking or providing galvanic isolation or maybe both?

There is no detailed information about this topic.

Mine arrived yesterday, but it will probably be the weekend before I give it a go (my system is all apart at the moment as I do some re-organizing)

I don't think we know what's in the secret sauce. There is a power input, which usually means the 5 volt USB power lead is being replaced at the unit. I think most the units now have a galvanic isolation transformer in them, but I have not seen the inside of the RUR, not have been privy to any of the going ons. I have made some basic assumptions, and its why I chose it over the competition.

Anyone looked under the hood?

I have been slowly assembling parts for a new audio computer build, and picked an HDPlex unit, with its linear power supply. Ill be able to power the RUR with it, or put an audio grade USB port on the computer itself.

Not ready to report sound changes at this point, too early, and my system is having issues. (I had the amp open, and was soldering inside this weekend)

I can report that the RUR worked with the XMOS based Stello U3 USB->SPDIF converter. I did have to reboot the computer when adding the RUR. I can't just hot swap it in and out of my system.

Many incoming changes to my system, so I am not listening critically until some burn in and my system stabilizes.