IGNORED

Wyred 4 Sound's Recovery USB Reclocker Findings For Audio Performance. (Curated Thread)

Hi all,

Firstly, we sincerely appreciate all the interest and enthusiasm you've all shown for our new Recovery in this and other threads. You can probably imagine how exciting it is to develop a new product with passion and see it received in kind. Thanks from all of us here for enthusiastically trying our product.

We felt it was important to weigh in at this point so you could get some news from the horse's mouth. To address the most pressing issue—we do have a solution for those who have experienced a situation where the Recovery is plugged in and lights lit, but no sound and a computer warning which states something like "Because a USB device was drawing too much power from your computer one or more of your USB devices has been disabled." As you know, it's impossible to foresee all scenarios and unknowns while developing a product, and we apologize all the same for the inconvenience. We realize the issue lies with some DACs that draw larger amounts of power from the USB bus than others, causing the Recovery to go into internal 'protect mode' which breaks the connection from computer to DAC.

We have engineered an updated board that will work with these larger power demands. Sonically, physically and operationally the two Recovery versions will be the same. The only obvious difference is that the revised Recovery will come with a 6V (as opposed to the current 9V) power supply. Please make a note of that if you are planning on replacing it with your own PSU.

Our plan is to send out these new Recoverys out over the next week to those who have contacted us directly regarding this issue. Along with the new Recovery will be a return label so that you can send your original Recovery back to us. Once you receive the new Recovery, please let us know what you think.

For all other questions, please communicate to us directly at [email protected] and we will do our best to answer you in a helpful and timely manner. We believe in the power of the forum as a means for great group communication, but we request you contact us directly for any tech support. You can also give us a call at 805-466-9973 during business hours. We have seen some posts which mention that we have not replied to your email. If that is the case, more than likely we never received it or it went to the wrong inbox, so please re-contact us.

Thanks, as always, for your support.

- Wyred 4 Sound

Hi All,

We apologize for the unintended uproar over the new PSU. We should have been more clear. Yes, the new supplied PSU will be 6v to better accommodate the new board, and we wanted to make that known. However, a 9v PSU will still work. Those of you who invested in one or intend to use one can still do so. We hope this message helps clear things up.

According to the W4S website, "The included power supply is 9V 1A, and the Recovery has been tested stable from 12V down to about 6.5V."

Will this range be revised downward for the modified 6V Recovery or will a high quality 12V LPS still be a safe and stable option?

Yes, we will update the webpage shortly. The safe spread on the revised Recovery will be 6v - 9v.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

We want to express our gratitude to those ordering a Recovery and extending us latitude, understanding and patience as we researched what a few of you were experiencing before we could devise a solution. We’re pleased to note that the process of discovery to implementation (and then shipping) took only about three weeks.

To recap, some early reports from a few customers indicated a compatibility issue with their DAC and the Recovery. What we found is that a few brands of DACs require a much higher inrush of current from the USB bus than most others. This caused the Recovery to go into ‘protect’ mode and essentially break communication between DAC and computer. When this happened, the DAC was not available as an output device and the user might’ve also seen a warning message that too much power was was being drawn from the USB port. We revised the Recovery board to allow for this higher power draw to go through. In the grand scheme of things, of the hundreds of Recoverys sold to date, those affected were less than 1 in 10.

At this point, everyone should now have a Recovery that works in their system and we’re happy to be standing by our products so we can ensure they work properly upon delivery. For those that might need the upgrade in the future, we will offer that path. Thanks again for your support and we hope you’ll continue to enjoy our products.

I got my RUR in this past Friday and had it up and running by 3pm. It's got roughly 67 hours on it and is a pleasure to listen to. It sounded great straight out of the box, but as the hours pile on, the sound improves little by little. And I'm just using the stock PS and USB cable that came with it. It's dead silent, open, airy, smooth, detailed, dynamic. I have zero complaints and feel that it was $200 well spent.

Signal Chain...

AURALiC Aries LE ->> Wireworld Ultraviolet 7 ->> Wyred 4 Sound RUR ->> Parasound Halo P5 Internal DAC

It sounds great with my ripped FLAC files, Tidal, even internet radio has received huge improvements.

Great to hear!

Hi,

my Recovery arrived last week. Here are my (mixed) findings so far:

Build quality is disappointing, I know this is a budget device, but it is not cheap in any way and I have to say it feels very cheap. It is mislabelled and input USB connector broke after first plug and unplug of USB cable (little bit- left part of metal casing went out when I unplugged cable- I was able to push it back -it works so far )...Could be bad luck but it never happened to me before...

On positive side -Recovery is really smaller than I expected from product pictures and improve sound of every DAC (all of them budget choices) I tried (but some of them don’t work with RUR).

Tested it with 6 DACs:

ODAC- OK (Linux Mint),

TAGA THDA-500T- OK (Windows 10, Volumio, Moode)

Violectric V200 internal 192kHz DAC- OK (Volumio)

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Audinst HUD-mx2 (USB powered) - does not work,

Creative SB1240- does not work,

Fiio X5- does not work,

[ATTACH=CONFIG]24514[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]24515[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]24516[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]24517[/ATTACH]

We're very sorry about your Recovery (indicators reversed). We will be sure to address this during our assembly procedure.

• 2 weeks later...

We thought we’d provide an update on the status of Recoverys and how we will accommodate future board revision requests. For a brief recap, please see post #258 of this thread. As many customers have proven, the original Recovery performs flawlessly under standard operating USB conditions. However, a few people reported an immediate incompatibility with their DAC that made us realize that conditions were not that way 100% of the time. Please also note that of those certain DAC models, some within the same model worked and some didn’t, which highlights the inconsistencies of those designs. Just to eliminate the possibility of our product having an irregularity, we evaluated each replaced Recovery to ensure performance was on par with other known working units.

A “DOA” product is considered something that is immediately inoperable. A few customers who purchased the original Recovery found it was incompatible with their DAC. We considered these cases to be handled as “DOA” because it was inoperable with its desired mate on arrival. As of the end of February (post #258), all of these cases have been satisfied. ”Rev B” Recoverys began shipping mid-February.

We know that there are many people who continue to enjoy original ("Rev A") Recoverys. These will always operate error-free with a vast majority of DACs on the market. Should you choose to change your setup to use an incompatible DAC and thus wish to update your Rev A Recovery, we will offer that path for a nominal fee. The upgrade is available on our website under Upgrades, Mods and Accessories, here.

We wish to sincerely thank all present and future Recovery customers. The overall feedback has been overwhelmingly positive and we are extremely grateful for the new customer relationships we have gained in the process. We are proud to have addressed some real limitations inherent in USB sound and are planning other performance enhancing products as well. Thank you for your support.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
Please add the Audiolab M-DAC Plus to the list that does not work with the Revision "A" RUR.

I just purchased one secondhand in the UK and it does not work with my DAC :(

Does anyone know if W4S offer the fix for this, if the item is in warranty period? As although secondhand the original purchase date was within the last 12 months...

Hi jrd1975,

We can update the board if you need. Please click here for more info. We also have a FAQ page on the Recovery.

• 1 year later...