IGNORED

Wyred 4 Sound's Recovery USB Reclocker Findings For Audio Performance. (Curated Thread)

I ordered my RUR late December and received it this past week. The intention was to use it in my main system with my W4S uLink and Bryston BDA-1. Before ordering I had contacted Tony @ W4S and asked if I would benefit from the RUR when using the SPDIF to USB converter and was told that I would definitely benefit from the RUR.

I installed it in my main system using my MacBook Pro and W4S uLink but the Mac would no longer connect to my uLink...the error message was ``unplug the device using too much power to re-enable USB devices``

I went through a process of switching USB cables, rebooting the Mac, unplugging the RUR and finally hit the right sequence to get it to work but if I shut down the Mac I have to do it all over again.

I then hooked up my Rega DAC-R to the MacBook to see if it would work and the computer had no connection issues but when I went to play a track there was a power hog error message so it is not going to work with this DAC either.

I emailed Tony at W4S and told him the issues and asked if the Rega problem had something to do with the XMOS USB but he felt that was not the case. He wanted me to swap cables which I have done so we can rule that out.

I also used my Windows 10 laptop to see if that would make a difference but I had the same conncetion issues. After unplugging the RUR and rebooting the Windows computer, switching cables, etc, it finally connected.so the same issue exists for my MacBook or Windows computers.

So far I have tried the RUR with two different DAC`s and it has had major connection issues.

Aaron

Hi all,

Firstly, we sincerely appreciate all the interest and enthusiasm you've all shown for our new Recovery in this and other threads. You can probably imagine how exciting it is to develop a new product with passion and see it received in kind. Thanks from all of us here for enthusiastically trying our product.

We felt it was important to weigh in at this point so you could get some news from the horse's mouth. To address the most pressing issue—we do have a solution for those who have experienced a situation where the Recovery is plugged in and lights lit, but no sound and a computer warning which states something like "Because a USB device was drawing too much power from your computer one or more of your USB devices has been disabled." As you know, it's impossible to foresee all scenarios and unknowns while developing a product, and we apologize all the same for the inconvenience. We realize the issue lies with some DACs that draw larger amounts of power from the USB bus than others, causing the Recovery to go into internal 'protect mode' which breaks the connection from computer to DAC.

We have engineered an updated board that will work with these larger power demands. Sonically, physically and operationally the two Recovery versions will be the same. The only obvious difference is that the revised Recovery will come with a 6V (as opposed to the current 9V) power supply. Please make a note of that if you are planning on replacing it with your own PSU.

Our plan is to send out these new Recoverys out over the next week to those who have contacted us directly regarding this issue. Along with the new Recovery will be a return label so that you can send your original Recovery back to us. Once you receive the new Recovery, please let us know what you think.

For all other questions, please communicate to us directly at [email protected] and we will do our best to answer you in a helpful and timely manner. We believe in the power of the forum as a means for great group communication, but we request you contact us directly for any tech support. You can also give us a call at 805-466-9973 during business hours. We have seen some posts which mention that we have not replied to your email. If that is the case, more than likely we never received it or it went to the wrong inbox, so please re-contact us.

Thanks, as always, for your support.

- Wyred 4 Sound

I was informed by Tony this morning that I am in the list for the Recovery with the updated board but he did not mention that the new version comes with a different power supply.

This is a real pain in the a$$...I had ordered an aftermarket 9v power supply for my Recovery and it arrived it this past Friday so it is now useless to me. This has become a frustrating and costly venture.

• 2 weeks later...

I have had a number of discussions about my RUR as it would not work with my Bryston/Wyred 4 Sound uLink and also my Rega DAC-R and Tony assured my that I would receive my updated RUR which would fix the issues. It looks like they have sorted out their compatibility issues and my replacement unit is ready to ship.