IGNORED

Wyred 4 Sound's Recovery USB Reclocker Findings For Audio Performance. (Curated Thread)

Well, Richard. After your glowing review of the "Recovery USB Clocker", I ordered one. Currently using a Regen but it will work fine with my "other" computer setup that has only straight USB going into my DAC.

I'm excited to hear the "recovery" with my Curious full loom setup on my main PC. Question since I'm confused about power cable (wall wart) that comes with the recovery. It appears I need a power cable to upgrade from the stock one they deliver. So, what kind of power cord do I need to get the most out of the "Recovery" unit? Where can I get one and how much do they cost? Considering the "Recovery" costs $200, I'm surprised you'd need to upgrade the power cord. As always, I appreciate your input Richard!

Thanks - Spencer

Wonderful, Richard. Looking forward to hearing the "Recovery" soon and will simply use the provided power supply.. I plan on posting my results here too. As mentioned, I'm happy with my Curious/Regen setup but I can use the Regen elsewhere while adding the Recovery to my main rig.

Thanks as always for your incredible insight (minus the lack of funds available in my PayPal account ; )

Spence

• 1 month later...
Which add on power supply for the W4S Recovery would be best suited or it won't make a difference ?

(and what website)

Thx in Advance

I had Kenneth Lau build an LPSU (7.5V/2A) for my Recovery and it made an incredible improvement. More clarity, definition, and well rounded bass. Basically, a more analog sound. I couldn't recommend Ken Lau higher and you can find him on the CA forums. I plan on doing a full review of Ken's LPSU for the Recovery but I'm waiting for an LPSU for my PC from Ken and hope to bundle both in a full review. It made a huge difference but it's not cheap. It'll cost around $350 US dollars but I was so impressed I ordered another. Ken is based out of Hong Kong.

Just a recommendation.

Thanks,

SpencerImageUploadedByComputer Audiophile1459218293.715068.jpg

Yeah, I know. I went looking for power supplies and ended up here. I'm not made of money, but after researching I took the plunge full well knowing it cost way more than the Recovery itself. Ken has built many LPSU's for the Regen's so I bit the bullet and haven't looked back. A good test was a speaker bass test I ran (inadvertently). If I played a certain track at a high volume without an LPSU, the speaker would rattle like the bass lacked an analog sound and bit into the low end too much. When I added the LPSU, the rattle went away (at the same volume) and the bass sounded more natural with even more presence and body. Think about that significant change. Not just the bass either, but the mids and highs too. The whole sound floor benefited from the LPSU. I know it's a slippery slope but I'm a believer now..

According to the W4S website, the Recovery is supplied with a 9V SMPS supply. Did he think the lower voltage was in some way better?

From the Recovery website: "The included power supply is 9v 1A, and the Recovery has been tested stable from 12V down to about 6.5V."

After talking with Kenneth he determined that 7.5V/2A would work fine and it does! Sounds great and the power supply/Recovery run cool and fine.

Thanks,

Spence

As mentioned earlier, Ken has built many LPSU's for the Regen so building one for the Recovery is quite similar - although I had mine built a couple months ago right after I received the Recovery so I think mine was the "prototype" model. It's a smashing success. And yeah, I felt silly paying more for the LPSU than the Recovery but I figured my secret was safe on this forum! [emoji15]

That's pretty funny. Clearly you have never auditioned our choke-filtered, dual-output, 5-7A LPS versus the little iFi SMPS wall wart. :)

But I agree that our big supply is overkill for just a USB hub (that's what the Recovery, REGEN, et al are). Yet many who invest in a JS-2 do use it for that--in addition to powering their computer and/or DAC, USB>S/PDIF converter, headphone amp, etc. A robust, fast, and very clean supply (which, unlike all other LPS or SMPS units, kicks nothing back into the wall and whose output ground is galvanically isolated from mains ground) is good long-term investment that will outlast a lot of other system components.

Still, it won't be long until we drop the bombshell about our FPGA-controlled 1A 3.3/5/7V isolated LPS--to go with the REGEN, microRendu, Squeezebox Touch, Recovery, USB cards, SSDs, etc.

(see: http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f27-uptone-audio-sponsored/uptone-audio-regen-power-supply-add-24963/index24.html#post517120)

--------

Speaking of JS-2 owners: Has anyone here heard from our friend Richard--this thread's OP and "curator?" His last post here at CA was February 17th. I am a little worried about him going silent. I'll send him an e-mail to be sure he is okay.

Best,

--Alex C.

I was wondering about Richard too?! Hope he's okay.

Wow. This thread surely does mutate every 5 pages. Initially it was a little suffocating with no leeway/flexibility given to deviate from its stated purpose by the curator. Can we blame him for not wanting to let the reins go an inch? I think not. He was well aware of the natural tendency of threads like this to corrupt themselves without direction. As a result the early days of this thread appeared similar to how it would feel to live in present day Syria. Unbeknowest to the curator, yes the thread was functionally alive, but it wasn't prospering. However, upon his unceremonious disappearance, we began to witness a copious overflow of information. Mostly good, yet some bad. Amazingly these days could be considered the twilight of this thread because, as always, the animal farm will prove to be what it really is.

I'm glad the good days lasted as long as they did - I have gleaned some very useful information - unlike WBF, which requires all but a page or two to descend into abject hilarity with associated mudslinging and name calling from people old enough to be great grandfathers. I shall be purchasing both a Recovery and an Intona, and hopefully pair them with an LPS that can individually power them both.

RIP thread.

Absolutely brilliant eulogy!