IGNORED

Wyred 4 Sound's Recovery USB Reclocker Findings For Audio Performance. (Curated Thread)

Hi Richard

I'm so weak, I couldn't resist the temptation. I just ordered a Wyrd USB Reclocker (I blame/credit you :).

What is interesting (and the main point of my post) is that I emailed the manufacturers of the Wyrd Reclocker to determine if the SBooster Ultra for the Regen SMPS active noise filter could be used with the default power supply which comes with the Reclocker.

I got a response within an hour, and guess what: no problem, the Wyrd is stable even if supplied with voltage as low as 6.5 volts. So the slight reduction in voltage caused by the active filter should present no problem. The SBooster website also states that the Ultra for the Regen will function and filter voltage as high as 9 volts, so no problem there as well.

Like you, I have been making changes to my USB chain (Uptone Regen, CCRL, Intona, SBooster filter and Vbus isolator), Each change has resulted in a significant improvement in SQ. Each listening session after a change is an epiphany. Love the thread. Waiting for delivery with great anticipation.

regards

Barry

Hi All

I'm sorry for calling the W4S RUR the Wyrd USB reClocker. I did mean the Wired 4 Sound ReClocker.

But more important than that, I just received an email from Wiebren Drainer of SBooster that indicates the SBooster will likely not work with the W4S ReClocker.

The SBooster reduces the SMPS voltage to to 6.15 volts unfortunately the W4S power supply voltage should be no lower than 6.5 volts.

I was a little too anxious to share what I thought was good news.

Richard, downloaded "We'll be Togeher Again" from HDTRACKS. You're right it is amazing!

My Best

Barry

Hi Richard

My RUR arrived and I've already plugged it in, replacing my Uptone Regen with Sbooster Ultra SMPS filter.

At this time I'm using the stock SMPS which came with the RUR as I can't transfer the Booster Ultra for the Regen to the RUR (not sufficient voltage, only outputs 6.15 volts).

One gotcha, the Sbooster VBus isolator cannot be used upstream of the RUR. I suppose it uses USB power itself, even though it supplies its own power to the DAC. When I remove the Sbooster VBus isolator, all is well and music plays.

I'm just getting ready to break the RUR in right now. Can't comment on sound, too early in the game (literally installed 5 minutes ago).

Will comment on sound quality after about 50 hours of play.

Regards

Barry

Hi Richard

Here is a rundown of my system. It has taken some time and effort to set up to my liking.

I'll leave out the Turntable chain as it is not pertinent to the thread.

MacBook Pro -> CCRL cable(50 cm) -> Intona USB Isolator -> Light Harmonic Lightspeed cable(1.00m) -> RUR (with W4S 9 volt SMPS) -> CCRL (20 cm) -> MSB Analogue DAC (upgraded power supply) -> Nordost Valhalla 2 RCA -> Allnic L3000 Tube Preamp -> Nordost Valhalla 2 RCA -> Allnic A6000 50 watt 300B SET Monoblocks -> Chord Sarum Speaker cables (with Nordost Reference Jumpers) -> Ambience Reference 1800 Ribbon Hybrid Speakers

All SMPS on a single dedicated line (RUR, Macbook, Lacie 6TB Thunderbolt Raid2 (conditioned using an Ayre power conditioner), all low power electronics on a second dedicated circuit (conditioned using an Audience power conditioner). Mono blocks on a 3rd 220 volt circuit converted to 110 volt using a step down transformer for a 2400 watt isolated circuit. I'm a bit of a clean power convert, so using the W4S SMPS into the RUR is like a thorn in my side. I've already started looking for alternatives.

The RUR is replacing an Uptone Regen and an Sbooster SMPS active filter. Additionally I needed to remove a Sbooster Vbus isolator in order to use the RUR, this is unfortunate. The Vbus isolator sat just downstream of the Intona isolator.

The sound of the system with the Uptone Regen in place was wonderful. The RUR is an experiment. I've already got 3 or so hours on it and will "peak" tomorrow after work, say after 20 hours of break in.

Full Disclosure:I had a quick peak (I couldn't help it) after just an hour, and while I wasn't blown away by a night and day difference in SQ from what I'm used to, the RUR sounded very nice.

At the moment, the RUR isn't exactly on a level playing field as the RUR is not broken in and its SMPS does not have the benefit of the Regen's Sbooster filtered power. Also the Sbooster Vbus isolator cannot be used (this last limitation may be critical).

After 2 days continuous play, I'll get down to serious A-B-ing and settle on the combination which works best (to my taste) in my system.

Regards

Barry

Oh My... (said in the best George Takei imitation I can do)

Big difference from the 1 and 20 hour "peak". Detail I never noticed before in well known tunes has appeared. Better bass without a doubt. A certain purity to the sound. Hard to be more specific right now. Will need to A-B (but thats going to be in another thread, right Richard (smiles)).

This is with the stock SMPS of course. A 9 volt linear power supply is on order.

Regards

Barry

Hi Richard

The 100+ hour burn in process is complete. The RUR in my USB chain (see post #202) is phenomenal. I haven't yet started the tiring process of comparison (which will not by posted in this thread) but I really am floored by the bass, dynamics and realism it has added. This is all from memory you understand. But my impressions are based the number of moments I'm swept away by an aspect of the music on familiar pieces that I never noticed or felt before.

There were no compatibility issues at all with the RUR (unlike the Intona device which is also in the chain). I am a little disappointed that USB power (even though it is scrubbed by the Intona) must be provided to the RUR. However this doesn't seem to compromise the listening enjoyment, so likely I'm just being anal.

This is with the stock SMPS, I've just put money down on a linear 9v power supply, but it won't arrive for a week or more.

But even with the SMPS, in my system, there is a definite bump up in sound quality.

This will likely be my last post in this thread, I'm switching to your curated comparison thread.

Really happy I took the plunge and bought the product, largely on your enthusiastic recommendation.

Regards

Barry