IGNORED

Wyred 4 Sound's Recovery USB Reclocker Findings For Audio Performance. (Curated Thread)

FWIW I wouldn't bother with the SMPS either.

I never used the REGEN SMPS and I won't use the Recovery SMPS when it arrives.

I ordered my Recovery weeks ago, currently waiting for it to arrive in the UK.

In short...

If you have any respect whatsoever for your system, use LPS, not SMPS.

Source:

*Aurender N100 (no internal disk : LAN optically isolated via FMC with *LPS) > DIY 5cm USB link (5v rail removed / ground lift switch - split for *LPS) > Intona Industrial (injected *LPS / internally shielded with copper tape) > DIY 5cm USB link (5v rail removed / ground lift switch) > W4S Recovery (*LPS) > DIY 2cm USB adaptor (5v rail removed / ground lift switch) > *Auralic VEGA (EXACT : balanced)

Control:

*Jeff Rowland CAPRI S2 (balanced)

Playback:

2 x Revel B15a subs (balanced) > ATC SCM 50 ASL (balanced - 80Hz HPF from subs)

Misc:

*Via Power Inspired AG1500 AC Regenerator

LPS: 3 x Swagman Lab Audiophile Signature Edition (W4S, Intona & FMC)

Storage: QNAP TS-253Pro 2x 3Tb, 8Gb RAM

Cables: DIY heavy gauge solid silver (balanced)

Mains: dedicated distribution board with 5 x 2 socket ring mains, all mains cables: Mark Grant Black Series DSP 2.5 Dual Screen

• 1 month later...

It actually ends right there.

;-)

I have the industrial version on the way. I truly believe the theory in letting the Intona "clean up" the USB path then let the RUR do its thing to improve SQ. Next...maybe Curious Cables USB full loom. Man this $het never ends!!

Source:

*Aurender N100 (no internal disk : LAN optically isolated via FMC with *LPS) > DIY 5cm USB link (5v rail removed / ground lift switch - split for *LPS) > Intona Industrial (injected *LPS / internally shielded with copper tape) > DIY 5cm USB link (5v rail removed / ground lift switch) > W4S Recovery (*LPS) > DIY 2cm USB adaptor (5v rail removed / ground lift switch) > *Auralic VEGA (EXACT : balanced)

Control:

Playback:

Misc:

Mains: dedicated distribution board with 5 x 2 socket ring mains, all mains cables: Mark Grant Black Series DSP 2.5 Dual Screen

It's best if you feed it (inject clean power) with a separate LPS via a split USB cable.

Well OK, by ‘passive’ I just meant not requiring a separatepower supply.

Source:

Control:

Playback:

Misc:

VEGA benefits well, see my sig.

Source:

Control:

Playback:

Misc:

I have 2 x SE (Signature Edition) LPS from Swagman Labs, Pure Power Solution to Audio System, They cost circa £170 delivered to UK.

I also have an SMSL P1 LPS for lighter duties, circa £90 delivered to UK.

Both make significant improvements over SMPS.

Source:

Control:

Playback:

Misc:

Not sure, but they Swagman appear to use high-end parts throughout in their SE editions for not so much coin.

I'm not an EE so I have no authority on the subject of design and component choice, only that sonically in my system they sound very good.

It would be interesting to get opinions from those who know more from an EE perspective.

Source:

Control:

Playback:

Misc:

and whose output ground is galvanically isolated from mains ground)

--Alex C.

I think the Swagman Labs SE editions must also be isolated as since swapping over I have had to reconnect the ground line in my DIY cable from W4S Recovery to the VEGA.

Source:

Control:

Playback:

Misc:

Removing USB gnd was a noticeable improvement at the time, I'm guessing because there would have been 2 earth paths.

I presume that you mean that the -VE lead of the power supply is isolated from A.C. mains earth ?

It's quite easy to do that with many PSUs.

It sounds like you may have been getting the earth return via the shield of the cable if you had previously disconnected the 0 volts (black wire) in your DIY cable, and now need to reconnect the 0 volts wire.

It is not recommended to use the earth return from the shield instead of the 0 volts wire, as this is likely to be a noisier earth return.

Source:

Control:

Playback:

Misc:

I haven't found a better place yet. I've learned quite a bit on here, hopefully I've helped a few people in return.

(but some of the repeat agenda arguing should ideally be stopped at source or moved to another thread it can often get in the way of some very interesting knowledge and experience sharing... "the more hay you throw on, the harder it is to find the needle" and all that. Having said that, there are far worse places to discuss audio, literally brimming with idiots.

Long live C.A.

;-)

I completely agree that computeraudiophile is a top publication and I will take it a step further. I think computeraudiophile.com is the ABSOLUTE BEST SOURCE for this information in the world!

Source:

Control:

Playback:

Misc:

Now stick the Intona Industrial in front of it and power both with LPS (and implement optical LAN isolation).

;-)

AFTER ALL THE EARLIER HYPE: Initial 100 hour impressions otw to 200 hour for full break in.. Everything that I read prior to and especially being a skeptic in my own right ... The Wyred 4 Sound Recovery + Curious USB on both ends + iFi power 12v + DSD source material are one potent combination for next level higher audiophile playback that I have ever quite experienced.

The reviews about being "front and center" could not have been more accurate.

Greater bass. Greater Sound Stage. Dimensionality. Separation.

Blown away.

Source:

Control:

Playback:

Misc:

Much of it is explained in my sig (always read the small print)

;-)

There is a thread on CA about 'network isolation', many people (myself included) are using 'TP Link Media Converter' (FMC) to switch from copper to fibre and then back to copper at the server end of the LAN = optical LAN isolation.

Intona has it's own thread on CA.

The LPS I use are listed below in my sig.

Rw: Interesting. Can you please explain in much greater detail about this additional equipment and can you send a few links so I can understand.

Thank you.

Source:

Control:

Playback:

Misc:

• 8 months later...

I sent mine back from the UK, it did cost me a bit, think came to circa 50 quid in the end. Had to pay a sizeable deposit which was refunded when the old board arrived at W4S (I did a board swap).

In contrast, Intona sent me a new unit FOC with free delivery and I volunteered to return the old one (I did return it).

IMHO both companies released these products without testing enough permutations, in Intona's defence theirs wasn't meant for audio, but they quickly put in-place a simple, free global upgrade plan. W4S did the same for US customers but rest of the World didn't get the same love.

... that was my experience, yours may differ.

;-)

PS: both products are now utterly superb!

Thanks for this I had already seen this and carried out the troubleshooting steps. I will drop an email to your support / customer service to see what can be done to help. My main problem is that I am in the UK and that returning this for repair is going to prove very costly...

Source:

Control:

Playback:

Misc: