IGNORED

Wyred 4 Sound's Recovery USB Reclocker Findings For Audio Performance. (Curated Thread)

I got my Recovery in yesterday and unhooked my Regen and hooked this up in it's place. My PC could not find my Bifrost once I put the Recovery in. I hard booted everything in every manner possible to try and get my W10 to find the DAC. I deleted the drivers to the Bifrost and hooked the Recovery up and tried to re-load the Bifrost driver and the PC could not find it. Now I'm pissed.

I call W4S and talked to EJ about it. We done everything possible to trouble shoot the situation. I even hooked to my printer and the printer printed.

EJ was perplexed, and so was I. He asked me to send it back and he was getting with Schiit to get a Bifrost and do some testing.

He shared with me that the only other time they've had an issue with the Recovery was with a Mac system, and you guessed it... a Bifrost DAC.

I have to say that working with EJ was a pleasure. He took about an hour to try and help me and share with me some tips on my system.

I'm not easily swayed, but after talking to EJ, I'm considering to try out more of there products. I hope he gets it fixed.

John Withem

Proprietor

JW Audio.

http://www.jwaudio.net/default.html

I've received and email from W4S about the problems with the Bifrost dac. Here it is.

"Hi John,

I thought I’d email you with an update: on further investigation, we believe the issue lies with some DACs (including Schiit) which draw larger amounts of power from the USB port than others, thereby causing the Recovery to go into internal protect mode which consequently breaks the connection from computer to DAC. Since learning of this issue we have come up with an updated Recovery board that will work with these larger power demands, thus eliminating the issue. We are currently running through final testing on this revised version and they should be ready next week.

Our plan is to send out these new Recoverys out next week to those in this situation and include a return label to ship yours back, so you can finally enjoy the Recovery with our thanks. Hopefully you find that agreeable. If so, can I get your original order #?

Thanks,

Tony

PS, regarding Schiit DACs, we found an FAQ on their website (http://schiit.com/faq/dac-problems) which is interesting in that it recognizes a potential known issue with their DACs and requiring too much USB power. They suggest inserting a powered USB hub between computer and DAC (coincidentally, we have a customer in the same boat as you who tried a USB hub and in fact, it ended up working with the Recovery), however, we don’t really view that as an ideal solution and the revised Recovery won’t need it."

Think they might have a grip on it now. One thing that concerns me is having to take the tape off the +&- of the USB cable. That is an improvement that I like with using the Regen. I will post my discovery and comparison once I receive the new Recovery.

John Withem

Proprietor

JW Audio.

• 4 weeks later...
I ordered a Recovery USB Reclocker yesterday.

Are all being shipped of the new board that support DACs that draw power?

If not, how does one discern which version was shipped?

My intended connections will be:

Apple iMAC > Straight Wire USB Cable > Schiit Wyrd "Decrapifier > Supra USB Cable > Wyred4Sound Recovey USB Reclocker > Elijah Audio Konvertible Lite Cable > Schiit Bifrost Multibit DAC > Mayflower Electronics' O2 Headphone Amplifier.

I plan to power the Reclocker with an Anchor battery rather than my mains power as I do not yet have a Linear Power Supply.

The RUR will first be tested as a replacement for the Uptone Regen.

I have read every post on this curated thread and promise to offer my observations of the RUR exclusively on its own in the context of how I am implementing it, and will not make any comments that compare it to other devices as such comments belong in the alternative threads created for purposes of making comparisons.

If you own a Schiit Bifrost, you will need the Recovery "Rev B".

John Withem

Proprietor

JW Audio.