IGNORED

Wyred 4 Sound's Recovery USB Reclocker Findings For Audio Performance. (Curated Thread)

Richard,

I am wondering if this device will even be necessary since the DAC2/DSD SE already has a galvanically isolated

USB input with a FEMTO clock built in. Shouldn't the DAC2 completely clean and reclock the incoming USB signal?

I am glad you started the thread Richard. I have the same question, it will be interesting to see what EJ has to say. I initially saw the device on the W4S website and dismissed it as doing essentially what the DAC2DSDSse is doing. I feel that the Recovery product is for people with DACs that are not sold by W4S. I have had the W4S DAC-2DSDSse for a few years and have tried some of the USB cleanup products, and felt with the DAC-2DSDSse, they either did nothing or took away from the sound. So as I wrote earlier, I am looking forward to what EJ has to say.

ReadyNAS Ultra/6 stored flac->GigE network->roon->Uptone JS-2->microRendu->W4S Recovery->W4S DAC-2v2 SE>W4S STP-SE STG2 Preamp->W4S ST-1000 Amplifer->Von Schweikert VR-44

Now to the USB input on the DAC. There is no doubt that we have an extremely good USB implementation on the DSDse which is galvanically isolated and for the most part immune to the computer it is connected to. However, we also have to remember that not all problems are associated with grounding or power rail noise, they are important but not our only concern. Similar to the Remedy, the Recovery intercepts the signal between the DAC and computer to not only isolate and provide clean power but to also supply a much more precisely clocked source for the USB encoded data. This results in a pre-conditioning of the signal before the DAC can take it and utilize its parts which allow it to perform better.

In some cases, the improvements with the Remedy and Recovery can be black and white but really depends on the ability of the system as a whole to expose such signal improvements in what is being sent.

Thank you for posting the reply from EJ. The paragraph I quoted above, to me, is what the unit will do with for our DAC-2DSDse. EJ's response in the earlier paragraphs is mostly about how cleaning up a SPDIF digital stream can be done and it's usefulness in digital audio. I think it is important for people to understand, as does EJ, which is evident from how he crafted his response. That an async USB is entirely different from an SPDIF stream, in that a digital stream which is dependent on clock and jitter can have a real effect on sound. Not so in USB where there is no stream only packets that contain both the order that they are to be assemble and a CRC check in the packet to ensure it it perfect. Once those are received from the DAC without error (virtually 100% of the time in this day and age) the music will be reproduced from the DAC with zero error.

Don't get me wrong I feel that the W4F recovery product has merit and can be a benefit in systems that suffer from excessive noise that could effect packed transmission. Of course that benefit will be system dependent and will most likely make a difference for those using a full blown PC/MAC to process their audio collection. Some of the newer appliance based audio products will probably benefit less from something like this, but that of course remain to be see when the actual product arrives in our hands.

Looking forward to people receiving the W4S Recovery and commenting on how it works in their system.

ReadyNAS Ultra/6 stored flac->GigE network->roon->Uptone JS-2->microRendu->W4S Recovery->W4S DAC-2v2 SE>W4S STP-SE STG2 Preamp->W4S ST-1000 Amplifer->Von Schweikert VR-44

Thanks Richard,

I have had conversations in the past with EJ, I have always found him both frank and candid in his conversation with me. I have had EJ tell me when and if an upgrade makes sense, and has even told me more than once when he felt I should NOT buy one of their products as it would most likely make no sonic difference in my system.

• 3 weeks later...

nice, looking forward to what you hear, if anything. Just curious why do you let it warm up to room temperature before plugging it in? Electronics if anything probably work better at lower temps than they do when warm,

No worries, I'm in NY too. I always felt that those warnings were for people who lived further north and can get things that are outside in -20 temps. But as I said no worries, take your time. It's all about having fun.

Thanks for the review Richard. Sounds like it helped your system a lot, enjoy!

• 2 weeks later...

I should have my RUR in a few days and will of course let you know what I think of it. I am interested to see if there is a difference in sound as more time is put on the device. Although you have stated earlier in the thread that you did, in fact, hear a large improvement as you got closer to 100 hours on the device, I can't fathom what would make it sound different. The RUR is only passing data packets to the USB port on the DAC, nothing remotely looking like audio is in the chain yet. I have a good understanding of what the RUR is doing and because of that I have bought it, but that it needs a significant break in, I will have to see for myself.

That means that 5v's are running right next to your signal going through the USB cable from your server/computer to the Recovery. Not good. But if it sounds better... it is better.

Why is that not good, isn't that how it is supposed to be?