IGNORED

Wyred 4 Sound's Recovery USB Reclocker Findings For Audio Performance. (Curated Thread)

I have question for those that have experience using similar devices to the Recovery such as the Regen. I have 2 USB cables, an AQ Diamond and an AQ Cinnamon. Is the best position for the better USB cable between the Recovery and the DAC, or between my mac-mini and the recovery? Am I negating the sonic benefits of my AQ Diamond cable by having the AQ Cinnamon in the mix? Maybe I need 2 AQ Diamonds, or maybe with the Recovery the USB cables do not matter as much. Thoughts?

• 2 weeks later...

I did some preliminary listening after letting it run in for about an hour. The first thing I noticed was increased clarity and resolution. In fact, I was actually startled by the increased transparency when Norah Jones started belting it out on the DSD version of Cold Cold Heart. I believe, as the Wyred overviews states, that it provides a more forward presentation due to the increased accuracy of the USB signal. It was not bright sounding, but after a couple hours all the new information it was presenting overloaded my brain and I decided that was enough critical listening for one evening and that a few hours burn in might be beneficial.

I agree with Richard on the wall wart, I was thinking where the @#!$ am I going to plug in this monstrosity. Anyhow, more listening is needed before I come to any final conclusions, but my first out of the box impression was, "Wow", I guess that's a good start.

Thanks Richard, your response and info from EJ answered my particular power supply question. I do not have an LPS (or know much about them) and was curious if in the Recovery application one would be of benefit based on the SMPS ultra quiet power supply description. My take on EJ's response is that yes one can do better if so inclined, which I suspect is in line with your experience of using an LPS. I also appreciate that you can't A-B endless combination of power supplies, cables, REGEN, Jitterbug, etc. as that would be maddening. I look forward to your comments regarding the Recovery performance in your configuration. Enjoy!

Can anyone confirm if the Recovery uses a center positive DC connector?

W4S confirmed that they use center positive DC connector on the Recovery. The reason I asked was that I was looking at the ifi iPower to use with the Recovery and they indicated in their literature that a polarity converter (supplied) would need to be used if the connector was center negative. I found the ifi claims of 1 uV noise vs the Wyred wart of 13 uV interesting and worth a try.

I just hit the 99 hour mark on my Recovery. I am running it with the supplied SMPS power supply and USB cable. The digital in my system consists of a 2014 Mac mini running Jriver MC through an AQ Diamond USB cable to a Wyred DAC 2 DSD SE with Femto clock. Currently I am listening to Bill Frisell's Guitar in the Space Age. Like many of the other tracks I have listened to, the Recovery is providing a level of resolution I have not heard before in my system. Literally I am hearing stuff on tracks that I suspect the original mastering engineer would have removed had he heard it. No brightness, just more detail, clarity and more of the more which I seek. For the price, or even a significantly higher price the RUR is a no brainer. I suspect I will upgrade the supplied USB cable and I have ordered an iPower power supply just because that is my nature. Regardless, with only what came in the box it sounds great.

Richard, you head the nail on the head regarding greater sonic detail. Where this really stood out for me was the realism I heard on cymbals. Instead of the usual suspension of disbelief I must deploy when hearing recorded cymbals, the RUR brought me much closer to visualizing that it's not a pan of sizzling bacon I am hearing, but a real cymbal.

I tried that ifi iPower 9v with my Recovery and was surprised how different everything sounds. I was expecting a lower noise floor, more clarity, but similar sound. What I got was an overall change in sonics. With the iPower the overall sound was fuller with heavier bass. Lower octaves of the piano carried more weight with the iPower. On the other hand, it seems like I lost some of the shimmer on highs such as cymbals. The devices sounded noticeably different, but whether that difference was good or bad I am not sure I have concluded yet. I have swapped then back and forth about 50 times and which ever one isn't in use I think is the better one. I do think I hear a blacker background with the iPower. Sometimes I noticed it takes me a while to appreciate what better really sound like.

As a side note I placed an order for the REGEN link from Curious Cables to replace the supplied USB cable.

okay, I received my RUR yesterday.

I was already getting excellent sound before I attached it.

It was easy to attach and worked right away.

I did find that the included SMPS was undesirable.

luckily, I had a small wall wart linear power supply available to provide 9V 0.5 A.

So far, I like it, and I think that it provides more detail, and maybe also a more relaxed sound.

Eric

I'm surprised that your .5 A SMPS was sufficient to power the Recovery and operate as designed since the included SMPS is 1.3A. What didn't you like about the included SMPS?

My Vega DAC does not use any +5 V power from the USB cable, and so I was able to get away with a low-cost 0.5 amp 9V Linear power supply that I had left over from another project.

For general use, you probably want 1 amp or more of high quality power, especially if your DAC needs power from the USB cable.

I did try the included SMPS first, but it led to a reduction in sound quality, a small amount of roughness added to the music.

In any case, generally, we all like to use linear power supplies whenever possible to minimize noise and interference.

So my chain is N100H->RUR->Vega

Eric

I also found some improvement in sound quality by replacing the stock SMPS on the RUR. I went with an ifi iPower. It seemed to add a little more weight to the sound and a lower noise floor when compared to the stock RUR SMPS. Soon I will also be replacing the supplied RUR USB cable with a short Curious cable. Feedback from other members indicated positive results with the Curious cable and RUR.

• 4 weeks later...
Now how's that for customer service!

Just as an update, I just got in the iFi iPower and installed that a few minutes ago. I don't have any time to listen to it now, but will tonight... Hopefully. I'll give some initial impressions then. One thing I can say now though, it is a well built, solid little wall wart. It's the perfect match for the Recovery.

I will be interested in your impressions of iPower, I am using it and thought it improved bass and added more weight to the music. However, right out of the box I thought it was a bit too thick and syrupy sounding compared to the stock power supply. After some use I now prefer the iPower.