IGNORED

Aurender and MQA announcement

blaven

Apparently Aurender will be demonstrating MQA-enabled products at the 2016 CES.

I have looked in a few spots for more information on this but just have found basic information.

Anyone know anything more??

I have an S10, was not sure how Aurender would employ this technology in such a unit. I kind of assumed it was more utilized on the DAC end? Can a streamer/server decode the MQA file and then pass that signal to the DAC somehow? Would this be a firmware upgrade then, or hardware upgrade?

Aurender S10--> Berkeley Alpha USB—> Meitner MA-1 --> Audio Research REF6 Pre --> Audio Research REF-110-->Vandersteen Quatro CT Speakers

Sonore UltraRendu with Uptone power supply —> Meitner MA1

AQ Sky XLR Interconnects, Audioquest Diamond USB, Wireworld Platinum Starlight USB, Nordost Heimdall 2 AES-EBU

AMG Giro Turntable w Lyra Delos Cartridge —> Audio Research Ref 3 PhonoPre

HRS RXR Rack with Isolation Bases

Apparently Aurender will be demonstrating MQA-enabled products at the 2016 CES.

I have looked in a few spots for more information on this but just have found basic information.

Anyone know anything more??

I have an S10, was not sure how Aurender would employ this technology in such a unit. I kind of assumed it was more utilized on the DAC end? Can a streamer/server decode the MQA file and then pass that signal to the DAC somehow? Would this be a firmware upgrade then, or hardware upgrade?

I would anticipate it would be a system software upgrade but will ask them. I believe Aurender has at least one new product to introduce at the show in addition.

Brian Walsh

Analog Expert / Showroom Manager

Music Direct

In a separate thread here, there is differing opinion presented on whether this would just be a firmware upgrade, or whether some hardware upgrade employing Meridian's filters would be needed on the DAC end as well to take full advantage of the technology.

I think a more detailed explanation is necessary here, as there are two aspects to MQA processing: the compression part, and the filtering part. Meridian has been clear that the filtering part has to be DAC specific to work properly, so that would mean a separate processing code for each DAC. Of course the doing the decompression part of MQA processing would be universal and easy to implement as one piece of code for a music player software, but the filtering aspect is another story.

Aurender S10--> Berkeley Alpha USB—> Meitner MA-1 --> Audio Research REF6 Pre --> Audio Research REF-110-->Vandersteen Quatro CT Speakers

AQ Sky XLR Interconnects, Audioquest Diamond USB, Wireworld Platinum Starlight USB, Nordost Heimdall 2 AES-EBU

I would anticipate it would be a system software upgrade but will ask them. I believe Aurender has at least one new product to introduce at the show in addition.

Here is a photo of a sign taken at CES showing logos of companies supporting MQA. Aurender is among them.

MQA_CES.jpg

Brian Walsh

Music Direct

Hey Brian, are there any other new products or new features from Aurender?

Meaning presented at the CES.

Since I'm not at CES I don't know if they have yet released one product which although a little expensive is more of a lifestyle product. I will be communicating with them today by text and email and will ask if they are showing it.

Brian Walsh

Music Direct

Basically I am anxious to hear news about the completely new redesigned app for iPad (new software) and or qobuz integration and or roon integration.

Hardware wise I am expecting a new ripper device.

So if someone there please do inform us about news from Aurender please.

Basically I am anxious to hear news about the completely new redesigned app for iPad (new software) and or qobuz integration and or roon integration.

The Conductor app is scheduled for an update this month. Qobuz may eventually be integrated in a similar manner as Tidal, but I believe that service is only available in Europe. A special version of the app for industry partners has Qobuz integrated, but that's no assurance it will be rolled out.

Brian Walsh

Music Direct

Just got the is update from Eric:

Hello Russ,

I am glad you are enjoying your N100.

About MQA, we have been talking with MQA till now and basically, it is more related to the DAC.

The best device to implement the MQA support is the DAC based, since MQA decoding result will be differ by the actual DAC chip on each DAC.

For music servers with only digital outputs, we need to investigate more what could be done or possible to make best MQA experience.

About Roon, we are keep talking with Roon, so I am not sure about the result yet.

Best regards,

Eric Shim

EtherREGEN, Cary DMS 600 > Monoblock Odyssey Kismet Extremes in Stratos cases( Stillpoints, Sr Black fuses)> Paradigm Personas 5f, Combak Harmonica Footers, Cerious Technologies Matrix IC and Speaker Cable, SoTM dBl7,

Audience aR2p_TOSOX  power conditioner, Audience Au24se ,Triode Wire labs,Synergistic, power cables. 

From the little I was able to garner, the Conductor update will be "bug fixes" and a few new things. I hope it is more than that.

Aurender N10, Esoteric F-05 Integrated Amplifier, Synergistic Active USB, Oppo 203, Synergistic Atmosphere Level 3 UEF Speaker cables, Legacy Audio Focus SE, Rega Planar 10 turntable with Aphelion 2 cartridge.

From the little I was able to garner, the Conductor update will be "bug fixes" and a few new things. I hope it is more than that.

Such as?

Brian Walsh

Music Direct

Such as?

Such as what, Brian? :)

I don't know what the "bug fixes" or "new things" are. This was what was stated in an discussion with Eric Shim(?) in a CES report. What is my wish list? 1) The option to change color 2) A "Roon like" connection. The link to Wikipedia information is very good but Wikipedia doesn't have the database of information that Roon or Grace has. Incidentally, I am becoming a contributor to Wikipedia and will soon start entering information about the many, many albums that I have and are not in their database. 3) I would like the app to have some "memory" and not revert to the default page every time I move to another app.

That's it for now.

Aurender N10, Esoteric F-05 Integrated Amplifier, Synergistic Active USB, Oppo 203, Synergistic Atmosphere Level 3 UEF Speaker cables, Legacy Audio Focus SE, Rega Planar 10 turntable with Aphelion 2 cartridge.

Such as what, Brian? :)

I don't know what the "bug fixes" or "new things" are. This was what was stated in an discussion with Eric Shim(?) in a CES report. What is my wish list? 1) The option to change color 2) A "Roon like" connection. The link to Wikipedia information is very good but Wikipedia doesn't have the database of information that Roon or Grace has. Incidentally, I am becoming a contributor to Wikipedia and will soon start entering information about the many, many albums that I have and are not in their database. 3) I would like the app to have some "memory" and not revert to the default page every time I move to another app.

That's it for now.

1) What color would you like? Don't expect it, but I thought I'd ask since you brought this up before.

2) Patience, Grasshopper :-)

An update to the iPad app is scheduled for this month, which I believe will add DSD to PCM conversion on the fly for the W20, already available on the N10 for connection to DACs via SPDIF and AES.

Brian Walsh

Music Direct

Will the opportunity for on-the-fly DSD to PCM also be available in the future for the S 10 unit?

Will the opportunity for on-the-fly DSD to PCM also be available in the future for the S 10 unit?

I have my doubts, but you should ask Aurender.

Brian Walsh

Music Direct

1) What color would you like? Don't expect it, but I thought I'd ask since you brought this up before.

2) Patience, Grasshopper :-)

An update to the iPad app is scheduled for this month, which I believe will add DSD to PCM conversion on the fly for the W20, already available on the N10 for connection to DACs via SPDIF and AES.

1) Something lighter. 2) Okay 3) I can not afford a W20 :)