IGNORED

HTPC setup for music & movies

spike9876

Hi.

In my current setup I have several devices connected to my pre-pro including HTPC, cable box & amazon fire TV and they are all connected via HDMI.

For BluRay & music I use my HTPC.

For my main speakers (hybrid electrostatic speakers with bass driver)

My HTPC Setup is as follows:

HTPC -> Integra DHC 80.3 PRE-PRO -> Behringer DCX2496 (Digital cross over) -> Emotiva XPA5 AMP -> Bass driver of main speaker

-> Magtech Amp -> Electrostatic Speakers

-> Subs

may not be clear from above

HTPC -> PRE-PRO -> DCX2496 -> XPA5 -> Bass driver of main speaker

-------------------------------------------------> Magtech Amp -> Electrostatic Speakers

---------- PRE-PRO -> Subs

I'm in the process of bypassing Audyssey from my pre-pro and will replace Behringer DCX2496 with dbx DriveRack VENU360... With Venu360 I will attempt to see if i get better results vs Audyssey using EQ and Parametric EQ.

After change, setup will be as follows

HTPC -> AVR PRE-PRO -> dbx DriveRack VENU360 (Digital cross over) -> Emotiva XPA5 AMP -> Bass driver

-> Magtech Amp -> Electrostatic Speakers

-> SUBS (Probably crossover will be 24Hz)

may not be clear from above

HTPC -> PRE-PRO -> DCX2496 -> XPA5 -> Bass driver of main speaker

-------------------------------------> Magtech Amp -> Electrostatic Speakers

-------------------------------------> Subs

Note: I'm also looking to get a 2 channel amp to replace XPA5... Currently looking at Behringer EP4000

I always thought about going with a USB DAC... But always wondered if I would get a day/night difference vs using HDMI to AVR.

So from above... any suggestions on improving sound ?

Thanks

To me, the system looks too complicated. There's no reason for theDCX2496 and 2 different amps for your ML's. You'll get much better sound if you get rid the EQ and both amps, and put it all towards 1 good stereo amp. After that, then upgrade your preamp. Either a 2 channel with a HT bypass, or just a better processor, depending on what you consider more important (movies or music).

Hi CR250,

I don't have ML... Speakers are SandersSound M10d... similar to ML but implementation is done differently. Crossover is not done in speaker but by external digital crossover... hence DCX2496 is used.

I do need an external amp for both ESL and bass driver... Currently looking to replace XPA5... As mentioned, I was looking at Behringer EP4000 (2 Channel stereo amp) but I am concerned about fan noise... Not sure if PRO audio amp would compare to a consumer amp in terms of audio quality...

Yes, I do plan on updating my pre-pro in the future... possibly in the summer...

If you have any suggestions on a stereo amp... Please let me know.

Thanks.