IGNORED

Hq player

zenpmd

Why not just use roon or j river?? I am trying to understand why people choose to use it

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile mobile app

Benchmark HGC DAC2 / Ncore NC400 / Anthony Gallo Strada 2 / Anthony Gallo TR-3D Sub / Van Damme 6mm Speaker Cable

Because of its unique ability to upsample, especially to high rate DSD. There are several long threads here on HQPlayer.

Roon client on iPad/MacBookPro

Roon Server & HQPlayer on Mac Mini 2.0 GHz i7 with JS-2

LPS-1 & ultraRendu → Lampizator Atlantic → Bent Audio TAP-X → Atma-sphere M60 → Zero autoformers → Harbeth Compact 7 ES-3

Why not just use roon or j river?? I am trying to understand why people choose to use it

Many think it has better sounding upsampling and filtering than most any DAC. Almost all DACs upsample (even those that claim to be "non-upsampling") and all filter; outsourcing the upsampling and filtering to a much more powerful computer than the cpu in a DAC is thought to have sonic benefits.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Yes but all too long! Why up sample and

Have you tried it? The demo is free. Even in non-upsampling mode I think it's the best playback sfotware I have heard. But with upsampling it offers some very specialo features and sonic characteristics.

I haven't but misha seems like a fascinating guy and I like way he seems to be doing with hardware I am just worried this is another j play type snake oil

Benchmark HGC DAC2 / Ncore NC400 / Anthony Gallo Strada 2 / Anthony Gallo TR-3D Sub / Van Damme 6mm Speaker Cable

There are sonic reasons

Roon+HQPlayer sounds a lot better than Roon by itself, with or without upsampling

HQPlayer by itself sounds fine, but its handling of music collections is primitive

The combo exploits their strengths

I've had quite a few Jriver versions (not the current one, but the one before that) - Jplay, HQplayer and Bughead sounded better than the ones I have used

Source: Pink Faun Ultra - Chord DAVE

Amps: VTV Purifi

Speakers: Trenner and Friedel RA

Cables : JCAT reference USB, Tellerium XLR, Kubula-Sosna Elation speaker

Plus CEC TL 5 Cd transport - Blackcat Tron BNC - Chord DAVE

Of this have no fear. HQPlayer is likely the antithesis of JPlay. Essentially it allows one to adjust the filters and rate used in conversions instead of accepting what comes pre loaded in your DAC. I had little to no interest in upsampling until I tried it.

I haven't but misha seems like a fascinating guy and I like way he seems to be doing with hardware I am just worried this is another j play type snake oil

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz

It is the opposite of snake oil. HPQ makes no claim for itself other than that you should try and see how it sounds. There is a subliminal claim that using a powerful PC instead of your DAC chip to do the upsampling and filtering (which 99% of DACs do), is a suuperior sounding method, as it relieves "strain" on the DAC.

But the heart of HPQ is its upsampling, filtering, and dithering. More choices of filters etc. than any DAC. And apparently written better than the standard ones in most DAC chips. Miska is really an expert in filters, and it shows.

Try it. Experiment with some filters. You've got nothing to lose.

Other than that

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

It is the opposite of snake oil. HPQ makes no claim for itself other than that you should try and see how it sounds. There is a subliminal claim that using a powerful PC instead of your DAC chip to do the upsampling and filtering (which 99% of DACs do), is a suuperior sounding method, as it relieves "strain" on the DAC.

But the heart of HPQ is its upsampling, filtering, and dithering. More choices of filters etc. than any DAC. And apparently written better than the standard ones in most DAC chips. Miska is really an expert in filters, and it shows.

Try it. Experiment with some filters. You've got nothing to lose.

Other than that

Yeah I waited until the Roon integration to start playing with it. While the integration is a work in progress relatively easy to circumvent the issues the SQ ( for me converting all to DSD) is pretty amazing. I agree no snake oil claim and I don't make hasty changes, and after a long time JRIVER + AO goto and Roon (occasional user) this has become my new choice for playback and SQ.

I thought JRiver + AO + Fidelizer in core mode on Server 2012R2 was better than Roon + AO in Minimal Server (never got it working in Core). I didn't like what Fidelizer did to Roon.

Pretty great product.

Thanks everyone. This is very helpful. What is a filter?

If all my files are just cd flacs on my computer is there any benefit?

You need to do some basic reading about digital audio and how it gets turned into analog. All digital signals are filtered when they are being turned into analog signals. There is "non-audio, non-musical" (my term) produced during the process that needs to be filtered out. The type and quality of filters being used makes a difference in the sound of the analog output.

Yes, it could be a benefit even if you just have ripped CDs.

BTW, personal request: you started a thread called HQ player when there is an existing thread with the same name. Just makes it more difficult and confusing for the rest of us when you don't use either a unique name - or better - ask your question on the existing thread. It just takes a couple of minutes to search the site and see if there's already a similar thread to the one you are about to start.

JPLAY is not snake oil.

If you want to be taken seriously, you should be careful about denigrating someone else's product especially given your limited knowledge.

What is the point of this software? I don't understand

If you 're interested in HQP, why not try it? It's quicker than asking a load of people their opinion. It took me about as long to download HQP and start playing music as it does to read this thread...

You don't listen to digits, you listen to music. What turns the former into the latter are filters. Every CD player and DAC has them. Many folks feel that better filters make better sounding music. Many folks feel HQPlayer has better filters. It's pretty much that simple.

What's even more simple, as Norton says, is to just try it, since you can do so for free.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.