IGNORED

PPA Card v2 + Jitterbugs + Dragonfly DAC

Hello all,

I am a new member and even though I have followed your forums for quite a while now, I decided with the new year to register and become a proper member. Happy New Year to everyone!!!

Anyways, I have a couple of questions regarding the above setup:

1) I have purchased a Paul Pang v2 card and am currently awaiting to receive it. I would like to know, since I will be powering it externally, via either AQVox 5V/1A PSU OR iFi Audio iPower 5v/2.5A, if it will be enough to also power the Dragonfly DAC connected to the PPA Card? OR will I need to connect the Dragonfly to an externally-powered USB Hub instead?

2) I also have in my possession 2x Jitterbugs. Has anyone tested them out with the Paul Pang cards? My test setup will be as follows: PPA Card --> powered externally PSU --> connect BOTH Jitterbugs on the PPA --> Connect Dragonfly DAC on one of the Jitterbugs (just as I am doing with my older setup) --> connect DAC to Integrated Amp.

Do you guys think, I will hear any SQ difference with using the Jitterbugs, or should I just connect the Dragonfly directly to the PPA Card and leave the Jitterbugs out of my chain?

Many thanks in advance,

Spyros

Oh , boy, you go for all the latest noise in town. Happy New Year.

(JRiver) Jetway barebones NUC (mod 3 sCLK-EX, Cybershaft OP 14)  (PH SR7) => mini pcie adapter to PCIe 1X => tXUSBexp PCIe card (mod sCLK-EX) (PH SR7) => (USPCB) Chord DAVE => Omega Super 8XRS/REL t5i  (All powered thru Topaz Isolation Transformer)

Oh , boy, you go for all the latest noise in town. Happy New Year.

Nice. Guy's first post, and you feel it necessary to answer with an insulting/condescending reply. And BTW, if you own a Regen that's a little like the pot calling the kettle black.

Hint: you don't have to reply to his post if you don't have something constructive to say.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Welcome to CA pipis2010!

Your best bet will be to experiment. Try getting used to the PPA with just the Dragonfly and then add one AQJB at a time. These improvement are often system dependent. Sometimes changes made upstream are masked by lesser equipment downstream. Also break-in can be a big factor so it may take some time to hear positive changes.

Also if you have two AQJBs consider using one with the PPA port and the other in one of the empty system board builtin ports.

Regarding the PPA power it really does take a minimum of 1A just to power the PPA but with 2.5A I doubt you will have an issue powering both.

Experimentation is part of the fun.

Best,

Paul

"Don't Believe Everything You Think"

System

Well I figured I'd write a short update, since everything arrived:

I actually prefer the SQ of the Dragonfly connected directly to the PPA card WITHOUT the Jitterbugs. I felt that with the Jitterbugs an unnecessary veil was introduced and maybe it had darker/quieter background, but the music sounded lifeless (at least to my ears). Now, the music seems to "breathe" properly.

Furthermore, I can confirm that a PS of 5V/1A (in my case it's an AQVox) is ENOUGH to power BOTH the PPA card and the Dragonfly attached to it, although I will replace it shortly with an iFi iPower snd use the AQVox to power externally my Seagate hybrid drive with my music.

Lastly, I am still burning-in the PPA and I will target the 200 hours, but already the card has shown great promise and amazing value out of the box, with my not- so-revealing, entry system.

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile mobile app