IGNORED

intermittent stops in DSD playback JRiver Linux

angelus1969

Hello,

Just bought the Chord Mojo and having some problems with playback (DOP) of DSD files. There are intermittent, short stops in playback, not really at fixed intervals. The computer used is pretty powerful (FX6300 six-core, 16gigs memory, DSD library on SSD), so I don't think it's the system. It's running Apricity OS (an Arch based distro). Nothing I tried so far helps. I tried most settings in JRiver, memory playback turned off/on, smaller prebuffering/bigger prebuffering. I also removed the pulseaudio server, but also with no effect.

Any thoughts?

Regards,

Angelo

Thank you, what distro would you suggest. Not that Arch is not that common, but I get you meaning. I tried Kubuntu without succes. Granted, this was 15.10 running from a live USB.

To make matters worse, running the same DAC on the same system with Win10 doesn't produce these problems...... :(

Regards

Angelo

Kubuntu isn't the most reliable distro. For KDE, SolydK, Black Lab KDE and Sabayon KDE (They just fixed Sabayon with the latest release. It works like 9 and 10 did). Non KDE: SolydX, Black Lab MATE, Ubuntu Gnome, Xubuntu, Peppermint and Korora 22 all work very well.

Kubuntu is indeed not very stable, but most (if not all) KDE/Plasma 5 distros are rather unstable, but this problem lies deeper than the DE, in the base (kernel?) more than likely. But I tried Ubuntu (14.04 LTS) anyway and this also has the same problems. Since most your recommendations are Debian/Ubuntu based, it makes no sense to try them all. Sabayon I did try (finally a version again that actually booted from the USB properly), but there JRiver is not in the repositories, so I tried it with MPD and also the same problems occur. It's not the hardware, since JRiver Windows doesn't have any problems. My guess is there is something not quite up to par in the combo DAC/board/USB and the Linux drivers. I have dropped the question at Chord, since they claim the Mojo is Linux compatible, but haven't heard from them yet.

Regards,

Angelo

"Since most your recommendations are Debian/Ubuntu based, it makes no sense to try them all."

I didn't say to try them all, I just gave recommendations of what distro's gave me the least problems. But just because a distro is Debian/Ubuntu based does not mean you should expect the same results with every one you try. Most likely, you won't know what the problem is until after you fix it, so my personal view is to not rule anything out.

"Since most your recommendations are Debian/Ubuntu based, it makes no sense to try them all."

I didn't say to try them all, I just gave recommendations of what distro's gave me the least problems. But just because a distro is Debian/Ubuntu based does not mean you should expect the same results with every one you try. Most likely, you won't know what the problem is until after you fix it, so my personal view is to not rule anything out.

Wouldn't it be best to try an audio oriented distro such as Voyage Linux if the aim is to run MPD? I would say that running DOP for DSD is a pretty obscure requirement in the general purpose distro world, and if you are needing to do things like remove pulseaudio before even getting that far and finding it is unreliable, then it isn't a good place to start.

System (i): Stack Audio Link > Denafrips Iris 12th/Ares 12th-1; Gyrodec/SME V/Hana SL/EAT E-Glo Petit/Magnum Dynalab FT101A) > PrimaLuna Evo 100 amp > Klipsch RP-600M/REL T5x subs

System (ii): Allo USB Signature > Bel Canto uLink+AQVOX psu > Chord Hugo > APPJ EL34 > Tandy LX5/REL Tzero v3 subs

System (iii) KEF LS50W/KEF R400b subs

System (iv) Technics 1210GR > Leak 230 > Tannoy Cheviot