IGNORED

Pachanko SATA Cable

Re: Pachanko sata cables

I recently installed 2 Pachanko sata cables in my server (one to a 1TB SSD - music files the other to a 128Gig SSD - operating system) Additionally, I purchased a Pachanko's dual head usb absolution cable (connected to a recently installed J-Cat usb card).

Before describing what I noticed after installing the Pachanko cables in my system, I thought it worth mentioning a friend recently purchased two Paul Pang sata cables. So I should be able to report back on the difference in SQ between Pachanko / Paul Pang /J-Cat sata cables.

Back to the Pachanko's sata cables. Although Chan mention the cables would benefit from 200 hours burn-in, I found his sata cables to be very good from the get go. The Pachanko cables transformed the sound of my system. Not only was I hearing greater detail, the background was blacker, sound stage depth and width increased as well as an overall improvement in base. Specifically, the base was better controlled as well as more extended. What was even more surprising was the positive change in timbre and tone of the music. Music had gone from a Hi Fi sound to being more organic.

Over the years I have replaced countless numbers of Pre-Amps, DACs, Power Amps, Speakers, Speaker Cables, interconnects etc. etc. Many of the changes made a difference, none timbre and tonal improvements as did the Pachanko cables... go figure! I'm reporting changes I hear in my system, I'm not predicting how the cables will sound in other systems"

• 4 weeks later...
This is my first post here on CA but I have been pursuing computer audio for 5 years now. I run dual custom PC’s, linear power supplies etc., etc., etc. I just replaced a 1st generation JCat sata cable on my audio PC with a Pachanko Black Reference. The JCat had a severe 90 degree bend just past the connector to (just barely) fit inside my low profile Steacom FC5 case. The Pachanko Reference sata has a 90 degree connector and fits much, much better in the low profile case. Currently I have 300 hours on the new cable. It been a few days since the sound began to relax and open up. The cable integrates very well in my system. A certain synergy has occurred that sounds big and powerful as well as nuanced and delicate. The top octave is better defined yet smooth and liquid. Dynamics are a full step up with no detrimental side-effects. As a result, the SQ is very involving and satisfying. The Black Reference is a top flight cable and a welcome addition in my computer audio soup.

Hello MR2,

Your observations re SQ were consistent with mine. Specifically, you mentioned "nuanced and delicate", I found not only micro detail and base improved, but there was an improvement in tonal accuracy / timbre. With Pachanko SATA cables in my server, the music sounded more organic. I was so delighted with the improvements to SQ, I contacted Chan to ask if he supplied other insulated computer cables. To my delight he said he does. So I've ordered the following shielded cables

• 24PIN MOBO ATX cable (LPSU to Modular Bridge)
  • 24PIN MOBO ATX cable (Modular Bridge to 24 pin connector on MOBO)
  • 8PIN EPS 12V cable (CPU from LPSU to Modular Bridge)
  • 8PIN EPS 12V cable (CPU from Modular Bridge to CPU power connector on MOBO)
  • 4PIN SATA Power cable (LPSU to Modular Bridge)
  • 4PIN SATA Power cable (Modular Bridge FOR *3 X HDD/SSD SATA power connectors)
  • 2 shielded DC cables

Will write a post when the above cables arrive, are installed in my server and have burnt in. Cable will not arrive for another two weeks, burn-in might take a couple of weeks, so I'm unlikely to post anything for a month or so.

Happy listening.

• 1 month later...

Hi kaka,

I have one JCat sata and two Pachancho sata cables (none are angled) The Pachancho Sata cables have clips at the ends which are designed to hold them in place. The clips aren't highly effective, but I've not had any issues with my Pachancho sata cables disloding from my SSDs or board. Depending on your server layout and available space, I'd suggest angled sata cables. BTW in my system the Pachancho sata cables sound better than the JCat V1. Good luck.

For me the Pachanko sata cables sounded good from the get go. Chan did however recommend 100+ hours burn-in. Let me know how the cables sound in you server.

I've recent added Pachanko's sheilded ATX cables to my server (all ATX cables from HDPlex LPS to Bridge and Bridge to MoBo) as well as Pachanko's DC cables. I can't comment on how these cables sound Vs the stock ATX cables / DC cable, due to a fried JCat usb card. I'm awaiting the arrival of a replacement card ie a Paul Pang usb card. BTW I contact JPlay re do they repair their usb cards, their reply was a simple 'No'. This is the thrid time I've contacted JPlay re a defective product and all I get is their standard reply which is a version of 'Buy another one'. JPlay's customer service is terrible. I will never buy another of their product.

Pachanko's customer service on the other hand is quite good. Chan seams to care about his product and his band's reputation.

I'm off to watch the Bledisloe cup, best of luck to both countries.

A good friend Dr D. Lowe, purchased the JCat SATA cable and JCat usb card from JPlay approximately 18-24 months ago. I have all the receipts. My friend decided not to use them, he didn't even open the box / packaging they came in. I purchased them from him, again they were brand new, never used them. I installed them in my server. See photos attached. (my system consists of an M1 DAC, Gryphon Sonata pre-amp and Halro DM 38 stereo power amp) I stand by my comment, I cannot recommend JPlay due to poor service and therefore will never purchase another JPlay product be it directly from JPlay or from audiophile friends.

This is my (audio) truth!Pachanko_sata_cables.jpg

JCat usb card.jpg

JCat_sata.jpg

• 1 month later...

Well said. My experience with JPlay’s lack of after sales service mirrors yours. Bloody awful!

A few standouts include

1. Larry of HDPlex. His after sales service and support has been great. Thanks Larry.

2. Chan at Pachanko also provides great after sales service. As a result of the quality of Chan's products and his positive after sales support, I've purchased the following Pachanko products:

- 2 x SATA reference cables,

- 1 x twin head reference usb cable

- A bunch of shielded ATX cables including; 24PIN MOBO ATX cable (LPSU to Modular Bridge), 24PIN MOBO ATX cable (Modular Bridge to 24 pin connector on MOBO), 8PIN EPS 12V cable (CPU from LPSU to Modular Bridge), 8PIN EPS 12V cable (CPU from Modular Bridge to CPU power connector on MOBO), 4PIN SATA Power cable (LPSU to Modular Bridge), 4PIN SATA Power cable (Modular Bridge FOR *3 X HDD/SSD SATA power connectors)

- 2 x shielded DC cables.

So what difference did the above Pachanko cables make to sound quality (SQ)? I don't have the patience or time to A-B every cable in the server, so although not ideal, I added every thing in at once to burn-in (approximately 150 hours) before auditioning. The difference in SQ was very positive. There’s more detail, particularly in the upper mids and lower treble. Base is tighter and more extended. The background is blacker and there appeared to be more space between instruments. The big change however in SQ is that it’s less Hi Fi sounding. It’s like a singer / band is in the room. As a friend once said "the instruments were more there, more organic, more life like". Could not have said it better myself.

So when looking for Hi Fi or server components I pay attention to the manufacture’s aftersales reputation as well as the quality of their product.

• 5 months later...

A friend recommended separating the power supply to the 2 SSDs. Taking his recommendation on board, I use two HDPlex 300 W LPS, one to supply power to the MoBo and the music file SSD, the other to supplies power to a Paul Pang usb card and the operating system SSD. The improvement in SQ was better than expected.

BTW unrelated to SATA cable, SSDs and power supplies, I've recently added Pachanko's speaker cables to my system. I've only had them in my system for 30 hours, but already they sound great. Chan says his speaker cale require 500 hours to burn-in. If anyone is interested in knowing how Pachanko speaker cables sound let me know and I'll report back when the cables have clocked up few more hundred hours.

Pachanko speaker cables?

I thought I'd offer some early impression of my experience with the Pachanko speaker cable. I installed Chan's speaker cable in my system a few weeks ago. I have approximately 150 hours on them. Chan says they need around 500 hours. So consider this an early impression.

Chan’s speaker cable provides a fitfully weighty and rock solid clarity with space between instruments. Music sounds less Hi Fi-ish. Instead, music is presented with a crisp, clean and an uncanny delicate clarity, pinpoint imaging, wide soundstage, grip on the base with great base control and best of all, outstanding tonal accuracy. Since the speaker cable was inserted in my system, I’ve noticed a child like grin plastered on my face when listening to music and often when playing music files catch myself unexpectedly repeating the word ‘wow’. The speaker cable’s ability to turn music reproduction into an engaging and thrilling experience is stunning. I've not notice a downside to the cable.

I declare myself to be a ‘Pachankophile’ :)

• 6 months later...
  •  
  • Jukka
Hi Jukka,

I'm awaiting delivery of two of Chan's Pure Reference SATA cables (replacing two of his Reference SATA cables) When they arrive I'll to add to the post.

I have  Pachanko's 'Iteration USB cable" I previously used Chan's two head USB cable. The Iteration USB (in my system, my room) is more open, detailed and organic sounding. I'm happy with the upgrade.

Additionally, I've compared the Iteration USB cable to Curious Cable's USB. I prefered the Iteration cable (my system, my room). I also asked Chan to make up a short 'Iteration USB cable' so I could connect Uptone's ISO Regen (out) to my DAC. Shortly I'll let you know how the short 'Iteration USB cable compares to Uptone's own USPCB A>B Adapter.

Hi Jukka,

My preference (in my system/room) was with Pachanko's 'Iteration' USB cable (both from Server to ISO Regent and from ISO to DAC) in my system. With both legs covered by the iteration, I felt the sound was more organic, timbre more life-like, tonal balance more natural and imaging a little tighter. However, I visited a friend who has a different system/room set-up to me, to compare the Curious USB cable with Pachanko's iteration USB cable (His system is mainly Gryphon gear i.e. Mephisto/Pandora/ Kaliope, his speakers are Vivid G2 - A very very nice system). The friend preferred the sound of the Curious cable.

With the Curios cable in his system, I felt the SQ was a little to warm,  with a slight thickening around the leading edge of instruments and vocals. My overwhelming desire was to want to extract a little more detail from his impressive system. Sound stage remained wide and deep. When the Pachanko iteration USB cable went in, I found the SQ was more detailed, organic, timbre more natural, tonal balance was right and imaging was a little tighter. The only negative thingsI noticed with the Iteration cable in, was the sound was slightly leaner however imaging was tighter and instruments / vocals were to my ear better defined.

My Friend would argue that with the Curios cable in his sytem the sound more life-like, more natural and more emotionally engaging. We agree to disagree/

I've not yet had a chance to compare UpTone Audio's USPCB A>B Adapter to Pachanko's short 'Iteration' USB cable
i.e. from the ISO Regen to DAC.... perhaps next weekend!

Hi Jukka,

Thanks for your $1.02 cents worth :D. I liked the comment "I found the Iteration excellent but a little cool and lean. More detail and definition but at the expense of.." Your comment aligns nicely with a friend's comments about the iteration. I do enjoy the iteration's definition and details but would also like the sound to be a little more fleshed out. As the buddhist say 'everything is perfectly imperfect'.

I'll also compare the iteration with Uptone's uspcb adapter. Declaring my bias from the get-go, I too feel the uspcb adapter should better the iteration. And at only US$35 the uspcb adapter might just be one of the cheapest upgrade I've ever made.

Look forward to reading your comments re iteration vs. uspcb adapter.

Regards

• 3 months later...

Pachanko cables, another tail of woe.

I've been buying cables from Chan over two years (Iteration SATA / Reference SATA / Shielded ATX / Shielded DC / Iteration USB / Signature speaker cables / Signature jumper speaker cables / Iteration Ruru USB link etc.) The cables made a significant difference to SQ in my system / room / set-up (YMMV).

The service level initially offered by Chan was good, however around the end of July 2017, Chan's attention to detail and lservice levels waned. As an example, the last order I placed took more than 120 days to arrive. During the extensive delay, I regularly emailed Chan to find out why my order had not arrived. I found his excuses incredulous.

I will not be placing further orders until I’m confident his attention to detail and service return to acceptable levels.