IGNORED

Qnap: Ts251

Hi Albrecht,

I just fitted my Kingston 8Gb (2 x 4Gb sticks) into the QNAP TS-253 Pro... took 10 minutes and booted straight up showing 7.78 Gb of available RAM.

Because I use Aurender, which copies the files from the NAS and plays them locally (instead of streaming them), I doubt if I will hear any improvement, but for £40, I thought why not just 'max it out'.

;-)

Thank you again!!

Cheers,

Source:

*Aurender N100 (no internal disk : LAN optically isolated via FMC with *LPS) > DIY 5cm USB link (5v rail removed / ground lift switch - split for *LPS) > Intona Industrial (injected *LPS / internally shielded with copper tape) > DIY 5cm USB link (5v rail removed / ground lift switch) > W4S Recovery (*LPS) > DIY 2cm USB adaptor (5v rail removed / ground lift switch) > *Auralic VEGA (EXACT : balanced)

Control:

*Jeff Rowland CAPRI S2 (balanced)

Playback:

2 x Revel B15a subs (balanced) > ATC SCM 50 ASL (balanced - 80Hz HPF from subs)

Misc:

*Via Power Inspired AG1500 AC Regenerator

LPS: 3 x Swagman Lab Audiophile Signature Edition (W4S, Intona & FMC)

Storage: QNAP TS-253Pro 2x 3Tb, 8Gb RAM

Cables: DIY heavy gauge solid silver (balanced)

Mains: dedicated distribution board with 5 x 2 socket ring mains, all mains cables: Mark Grant Black Series DSP 2.5 Dual Screen

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Hi,

Anyone found a decently priced LPS for their QNAP TS251 or 215?

TIA

Whats you definition of decently priced? It looks like the TS-251 only uses 20W when in operation and the included AC adapter is 60W so you wont need a large LPS. One option that you may want to look into is Acopian Gold industrial linear power supply. Its not pretty, but has very good specs and can be found on ebay for around $100. I used this for a while without any problems. Its a little DIY but still easy to get wired.

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

Thanks for answering..

My concern was spitting bad power back into house AC. So, - not wanting to drop $350 or more, - but looking at something for $100, or less. But, I don't need to go crazy with this stuff. I've a dedicated circuit for my amp and Universal player, & linear power supplies for the various other boxes on the rack..... Thanks again....

I have tried using an HDPlex 100w LPS on both my previous Synology NAS and my current TS-251 with the same result.

Background: Both my Aries bridge and my DAC already use LPS and my TS-251 is a long way from the rest of my HiFi gear on a different electrical circuit.

There is a definite difference in sound using a LPS with the NAS and I am not going to pretend why? Anyway, the first impression is good and there seems to be slightly better separation between instruments etc. but the big difference is in the bass - harder/tighter/drier but not in a good way. Warmth & musicality seem to go missing, it's hard to describe but the words "anaemic" or "sterile" come to mind.

So for me the LPS on the NAS was a step too far and it's back to the standard PSU........as always YMMV :)

I have tried using an HDPlex 100w LPS on both my previous Synology NAS and my current TS-251 with the same result.

Background: Both my Aries bridge and my DAC already use LPS and my TS-251 is a long way from the rest of my HiFi gear on a different electrical circuit.

There is a definite difference in sound using a LPS with the NAS and I am not going to pretend why? Anyway, the first impression is good and there seems to be slightly better separation between instruments etc. but the big difference is in the bass - harder/tighter/drier but not in a good way. Warmth & musicality seem to go missing, it's hard to describe but the words "anaemic" or "sterile" come to mind.

So for me the LPS on the NAS was a step too far and it's back to the standard PSU........as always YMMV :)

Thank you very much for your real world, tested, experience. Very helpful....

Is it a 12v 5amp LPS?

Cheers,