IGNORED

PC audio server needs help

Dasign

Or cheaper yet, since price was brought up as a reason not to buy an ATX LPSU for the MOBO and CPU, DC for USB card, which I would spend the money on over any fancy modifications for powering your SSD's or HDD's. Instead just power up those HDD's separate with their own power supply, like an old PSU (then you won't need any SOTM filters, fancy conversion or new SSD's), hint the one you have after you purchase a new ATX LPSU (HDplex 300 W) for your MOBO, CPU, OS SSD, USB card and even a Regen, if you talk sweet to Larry he might even convert the 19V DC output to 5V to power any other 5V SSD's or HDD's.

I have looked at the ATX HDplex 300 w and looks that would be kind of the ultimate solution. You get individual PS voltage feeds, power isolation/regulation and no RFI/EMI. It is somewhat expensive. Do you think the 100w version would work, or not enough current for the overall PC requirements?

Thanks for your suggestions.

Daniel

Roon/Tidal > Win 10 PC > Asus RT-N66 U router > Furutech LAN 7 cable > opticalModule/LPS-1.2> opticalRendu/Ultra PS > Wireworld Platinum 7 USB  > Bechmark DAC 3 HGC > Acoustic Zen Absolute XLR interconnect > Classé Audio CA-M600 Monoblocs > Acoustic Zen Absolute bi-wired speaker cables > Rebuilt Apogee Duetta Signature ribbon speakers.

The moment you introduce an external ATX SMPS into the equation you are likely to cause degradation of the improvements resulting from your new LPS supply ,due to RF/EMI back through the AC mains supply and quite possibly earth loop related problems as well.

I would have to agree with Alex on this one.

Daniel

Roon/Tidal > Win 10 PC > Asus RT-N66 U router > Furutech LAN 7 cable > opticalModule/LPS-1.2> opticalRendu/Ultra PS > Wireworld Platinum 7 USB  > Bechmark DAC 3 HGC > Acoustic Zen Absolute XLR interconnect > Classé Audio CA-M600 Monoblocs > Acoustic Zen Absolute bi-wired speaker cables > Rebuilt Apogee Duetta Signature ribbon speakers.

I would have to agree with Alex on this one.

Daniel

Yes, but not in the context of what our discussion was about. Non OS hard drives with data only being powered separately from the rest of the system with ATX SMPS or any other supply you wish.

Please tell me how any RF/EMI noise is going to get into the data stream from these separately powered data drives if streamed from memory??

(JRiver) Jetway barebones NUC (mod 3 sCLK-EX, Cybershaft OP 14)  (PH SR7) => mini pcie adapter to PCIe 1X => tXUSBexp PCIe card (mod sCLK-EX) (PH SR7) => (USPCB) Chord DAVE => Omega Super 8XRS/REL t5i  (All powered thru Topaz Isolation Transformer)

I have looked at the ATX HDplex 300 w and looks that would be kind of the ultimate solution. You get individual PS voltage feeds, power isolation/regulation and no RFI/EMI. It is somewhat expensive. Do you think the 100w version would work, or not enough current for the overall PC requirements?

Thanks for your suggestions.

Daniel

No, you are going to need more power than that, especially if you have a graphics card. Plus that 100W power supply is DC, not ATX. You would also need the HDPLEX HiFi 250W DC-ATX (nanoATX Series) and more power.

(JRiver) Jetway barebones NUC (mod 3 sCLK-EX, Cybershaft OP 14)  (PH SR7) => mini pcie adapter to PCIe 1X => tXUSBexp PCIe card (mod sCLK-EX) (PH SR7) => (USPCB) Chord DAVE => Omega Super 8XRS/REL t5i  (All powered thru Topaz Isolation Transformer)

4 years ago I started with a i5 HTPC which also was used for both music sever and common computer tasks.

At that time the HTPC was where my stereo compnents were.

For common computer tasks I had a monitor and keybord 3 meters away against the same wall with some extension cables.

2 years ago we planned to move some furniture around so the TV/stereo would move to the opposite wall.

Now I would have an issue with oprating the pc because the monitor and keyboard were out of reach.

I decided on a Beaglebone Black and use the PC closer to the monitor/keyboard for common computer tasks only and never looked back.

No isses with updates, is always on so instant blayback and the sound improved as well.

Cheap upgrade too ...

Rigelian iOS app -> BeagleBone Black with Botic driver + Linux MPD + XPEnology NAS -> Soekris dam1121 DAC I2S direct from BBB -> DH Labs Revelation -> NAD C162 -> DH Labs Revelation -> Odyssey Khartago Plus -> DH Labs Q10 -> Boenicke Audio W5

I agree, if your going to do just audio, then you can go with a very low power PC such as a Beaglebone. But If your into any kind of multimedia like Promo videos or conerts in Hi Resolution then you need something with integrated graphics and thus a whole different machine. Enjoying my huge promo video collection mixed with audio in JRiver on an optimized PC is definitely a treat and I wouldn't do it any differently. There are multiple ways to communicate from a distance with JRiver.