IGNORED

USB and Hardware Issues

kilroy

Just built a new server with Server 2012 R2 and JRiver. All new hardware. Dedicated audiophile-style USB card for output to the DAC. The libraries were loaded, the player was working, and hardware seemed to be working fine. Everything looked normal and proper.

Unplugged everything to install into the rack, turned it all back on, started JPlay, and got an instant JPlay error message along the lines of "Playback could not be started on the output ASIO format 44.1, and, make sure you have a playback device connected". I've seen this mesage before, it was because the USB cable had loosened or come out of the DAC or server, or the DAC was not turned on. Checked all this, but it was okay. Checked JRiver settings too, all okay.

Check everything once again, restart, same result. Also a Windows error message "The last USB device is not recognized". Device Manager also says "Unknown USB Device (Device Failed Enumeration)". The Renesas USB drivers are there, as they should be. Well the very last device I had installed was the Regen, which previously worked flawlessly. So I removed it but this didn't change anything.

The Device Manager line goes away when the USB card is removed, and comes back when it is reinstalled. Start fresh, reinstall Windows, the DAC driver, the USB driver self-installed, and JRiver, and still JRiver will not work, with all the same symptoms showing up. All DAC settings rechecked and okay. At this point I am thinking there is an issue with either the USB card or the motherboard.

As a last step I plugged the DAC into the old laptop server, which was removed from the system but unaltered, and the DAC is working fine with JRiver on that server. Identical setup as new server, just different hardware.

I guess a next step would to be replace and check with other hardware, but I'll wait to see what shows up here first. And if it should come up, this is not my first rodeo, or computer build. Just sayin'...

Looking for suggestions and comments. Thanks!

I know you said that the Renasas usb driver self installed, but sounds like a driver problem to me. Weird that it only showed up after moving your setup.

Does your USB card come with drivers that you could install?

I don't suppose you have another USB card to try? I doubt it's the motherboard, but you never know.

BTW, easy way to check a USB port is to plug in a USB mouse, turn over and make sure the led comes on, and then see if it works. If a mouse doesn't work, then a dac won't either.

And it sounds like your usb port is not working for some reason.

Could something have come loose when you moved the PC?

Good luck

I know you said that the Renasas usb driver self installed, but sounds like a driver problem to me. Weird that it only showed up after moving your setup.

Does your USB card come with drivers that you could install?

I don't suppose you have another USB card to try? I doubt it's the motherboard, but you never know.

BTW, easy way to check a USB port is to plug in a USB mouse, turn over and make sure the led comes on, and then see if it works. If a mouse doesn't work, then a dac won't either.

And it sounds like your usb port is not working for some reason.

Could something have come loose when you moved the PC?

Good luck

Thanks Randy

Each time I did a re-install (a few now) the Renesas drive self-installed. On top of that, I did a manual install. Even with that, the error shows in DM.

Good idea on testing the USB ports, I'll try that.

Reason I mentioned the board is that there's more I haven't told. I've had intermittent compatibility issues with some other server components that also might have pointed to the mobo but I managed to get around those problems by substituting other parts. Still, other odd problems come and go-- loss of video, HDD doesn't show in BIOS, etc.

With Windows 7 and 8, USB ports can become marked as faulty. When that happens I am able to reset mine using System Restore, which even if it doesn't complete, writes back the fault counters.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

With Windows 7 and 8, USB ports can become marked as faulty. When that happens I am able to reset mine using System Restore, which even if it doesn't complete, writes back the fault counters.

Got it, thanks. This is Server 2012 R2. On a fresh install there's nothing to restore. That's where I'm at now and still no joy. I'm suspecting a hardware issue.

When you moved the system to the case, did you add any new usb connections to it? For example, most cases have usb ports on the face for easy access. A cable is run from the connector to the MB. If so, disconnect them and reboot.

Did not, but thanks.

Again, this happens even on fresh OS installs since the issue first came up.