IGNORED

Why no love for the Schiit Gungnir Multi-bit?

I see the Bifrost and Yggy both have pretty large threads at but the Gungnir is not talked about much on this site. On the other hand, the Gungnir thread on Head-fi has over 3000 posts. Having read most of these posts, it seems the Gungnir is pretty close to the Yggy in terms of performance for about half the price. It would seem to me that if the Gungir is that close to the Yggy that more people would be interested in it.

I am going to be auditioning both the Gungnir and Yggy in the very near future. I am really hoping my ears cannot tell the difference!

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

Well it sure seems the Gungnir is the red headed step child! LOL

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

Well it sure seems the Gungnir is the red headed step child! LOL

Funny isn't it?! I thought there would be quite a bit of interest at its price point. I've read some postings on head-fi but honestly haven't kept up. I look forward to your assessment.

i have the Gumby and have many hours listening to the Yggy. The Yggy is better but the Gumby is sensational as well. If money is not an issue for you, go with the Yggy. I had the DS Gungnir and the upgrade was $500 and I have other thngs to spend my money on right now so I went the upgrade path. In my system, the performance to the Gumby is astonishingly good.

Funny isn't it?! I thought there would be quite a bit of interest at its price point. I've read some postings on head-fi but honestly haven't kept up. I look forward to your assessment.

Yeah I spent a while yesterday reading the entire thread. The evaluations are very good. Generally speaking people are saying the Gumby is a bit more warm and not quite as detailed as the Yggy, though this assessment is only in comparison. By itself the Gumby is supposedly very very good.

i have the Gumby and have many hours listening to the Yggy. The Yggy is better but the Gumby is sensational as well. If money is not an issue for you, go with the Yggy. I had the DS Gungnir and the upgrade was $500 and I have other thngs to spend my money on right now so I went the upgrade path. In my system, the performance to the Gumby is astonishingly good.

I really appreciate you chiming in here with your thoughts on the Gumby vs Yggy. I too have other things I wan to upgrade in my audio system but if the Yggy is that much better than the Gumby I would rather just wait and save up some money. Since you already had the Gungnir it definitely made sense for you to go down that path. For me the motivation for upgrading my DAC is because I want to get ride of my el cheapo Musical Fidelity Vlink USB converter and digital cable. I am hoping that just doing this will help improve things in my system.

Other components:

• 2 weeks later...

Tons of love here for my Gumby! I love the clarity and sense of space it presents. It's the strong link in my system.

sources:  intel nuc8i7 (audiolinux, roon core) (server) | simaudio moon mind 2 (renderer)
headphone rig:  chord qutest > bryston bha-1 > audeze lcd-3
main rig:  chord dave > parasound jc5 > kef reference 1

I've read some highly detailed and well set up comparisons between the Gumby and Bimby and used single ended, many say there is almost no audible difference. Balanced is supposed to be a different story and the Gumby pulls ahead. See below, particularly the posts by johnjen and atomicbob.

http://www.superbestaudiofriends.org/index.php?threads/system-synergy-special-sound.54/page-4

Home: Melco N1A/2 | EtherRegen+Farad | UltraRendu+Farad | Denafrips Gaia | Denafrips Terminator Plus | Jeff Rowland Coherence II Series 2 pre | Blue Circle Audio BC-202 amp | Raidho XT-1 | 2 Revel Performa3 B112 subwoofers  | PS Audio DS Power Plant 12 

Home Office: IsoRegen+LPS1.2 | Denafrips Iris | Denafrips Venus 2 | Blue Circle Audio SBT preamp|  Eddie Current Zana Deux Super | Hifiman HE-1000SE | PS Audio DS Power Plant 12

Office:  Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE w/preamp module | Blue Circle Audio BC-28 amp | Raidho X-1 | REL T/5x sub

Super best audio friends gave it product of 2015, stating it comes very very close to yggdrasil in SQ for 1/2 the price.

This is why perhaps I may just not audition the Yggy at all. Ignorance is bliss right?

Other components:

This is why perhaps I may just not audition the Yggy at all. Ignorance is bliss right?

I had the Gungnir MB and the Yggy for months and the Gungnir is very good but it is not close to the Yggy . Resolution is the biggest difference .

In fact I sold my MB Gungnir for another Yggy I felt so strong about it .

So I disagree with the assessment that the MB Gungnir is very close to the Yggy , though for 1,200 it may be the best dac for that price around .

'cause it's a load of shit! :-)

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.