IGNORED

Sonore Sonicorbiter SE - discontinued

• 1 month later...

Has anyone used an Orbiter in conjunction with the W4S RUR and Curious Cable loom? I currently have the RUR and CC hooked into my DAC from my MAC Mini. Was considering using the Sonicorbiter as an Roon endpoint and using the MAC as the core. Would be very interested to hear any listening impressions and if anyone had compared this setup to the microrendu (which is out of budget at the moment....)

Has anyone used an Orbiter in conjunction with the W4S RUR and Curious Cable loom? I currently have the RUR and CC hooked into my DAC from my MAC Mini. Was considering using the Sonicorbiter as an Roon endpoint and using the MAC as the core. Would be very interested to hear any listening impressions and if anyone had compared this setup to the microrendu (which is out of budget at the moment....)

It's sounds like a good plan to try them...especially if you have them.

• 1 month later...

Hi, my first post here.

I have a Sonicorbiter SE that I'd now like to use with the iFi Micro iDSD Black Label, in my two channel setup (with Roon as source).

The Sonicorbiter obviously has its own power supply but as far as I know the iFi DAC does not. Will the iFi DAC be able to draw power from the Sonicorbiter's USB out, and power itself in this way?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give.

Tom

Hi, my first post here.

I have a Sonicorbiter SE that I'd now like to use with the iFi Micro iDSD Black Label, in my two channel setup (with Roon as source).

The Sonicorbiter obviously has its own power supply but as far as I know the iFi DAC does not. Will the iFi DAC be able to draw power from the Sonicorbiter's USB out, and power itself in this way?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give.

Tom

Yes and no issues doing it.

Happy Sonic Orbiter new owner here! Just got it yesterday. Using it with Roon to my headphones DAC/Amp (Schiit Bifrost / Asgard 2 Combo).

I read all 17 pages here, and was wondering if you can help with some questions:

1 - Is there any benefit in SQ using Optical vs. USB? Schiit Bifrost accepts both. I don't have DSD files, and only use my CD library in Roon Core ripped in ALAC, as well as Tidal Hi-Fi tier.

2 - Any benefits of using another power supply rather than the standard one that comes with it? Ditto for the USB cable, as I use a cheap Monoprice USB cable.

Thanks!

Happy Sonic Orbiter new owner here! Just got it yesterday. Using it with Roon to my headphones DAC/Amp (Schiit Bifrost / Asgard 2 Combo).

I read all 17 pages here, and was wondering if you can help with some questions:

1 - Is there any benefit in SQ using Optical vs. USB? Schiit Bifrost accepts both. I don't have DSD files, and only use my CD library in Roon Core ripped in ALAC, as well as Tidal Hi-Fi tier.

2 - Any benefits of using another power supply rather than the standard one that comes with it? Ditto for the USB cable, as I use a cheap Monoprice USB cable.

Thanks!

For 1, it's an easy test :) when I had the SE with the same amp&DAC as you, what definitely helped was a USB>SPDIF coax converter (Bel Canto mLink) that I happened to have around, but those are not cheap. As for a better power supply, once you start on that route, you might as well cut out the intermediate steps and go microRendu+LPS-1...

For 1, it's an easy test :) when I had the SE with the same amp&DAC as you, what definitely helped was a USB>SPDIF coax converter (Bel Canto mLink) that I happened to have around, but those are not cheap. As for a better power supply, once you start on that route, you might as well cut out the intermediate steps and go microRendu+LPS-1...

Thanks for the reply. On second thoughts, maybe I buy an Uptone Audio Regen and call it a day. Thoughts?

Thanks for the reply. On second thoughts, maybe I buy an Uptone Audio Regen and call it a day. Thoughts?

No experience with the Regen. The Bel Canto mLink I used provides (some) isolation and reclocking, but also moves the signal to coax. The general sentiment, including from Mike Moffat, is that other things being equal, you can get better results with S/PDIF coax than with USB (electrical noise) or optical (jitter). If I hadn't moved to microRendu+LPS-1, which I find very good, I'd be still using the mLink, or (for my Yggy) some USB>AES converter.

The unit is based on a Cubox and no changes have been made to the hardware except to toss the SMPS it came with and replace it with a nicer linear supply. Jesus R

Hi JR, I'm looking at one of these for a 2nd system. Regarding your quote above, do you mean there is no power supply inside, i.e. there is no switching or no linear power supply inside. We need to add an external power supply, right?

The HiFiBerry Digi+ option needs an end user DIY job in order to bypass the Raspberry Pi's 3.3V SMPS inside.

I'm hoping none of this kind of stuff is required with the Sonicorbiter SE but also hoping there is no cheap power supply components inside, so that whatever clean power I choose will be the only thing powering this unit.

Appreciate if you can clarify

Cheers

Hi JR, I'm looking at one of these for a 2nd system. Regarding your quote above, do you mean there is no power supply inside, i.e. there is no switching or no linear power supply inside. We need to add an external power supply, right?

The HiFiBerry Digi+ option needs an end user DIY job in order to bypass the Raspberry Pi's 3.3V SMPS inside.

I'm hoping none of this kind of stuff is required with the Sonicorbiter SE but also hoping there is no cheap power supply components inside, so that whatever clean power I choose will be the only thing powering this unit.

Appreciate if you can clarify

Cheers

The power supply I'm talking about is external so nothing to bypass internally. Like I said the Sonicorbiter SE is based on a Cubox and no changes have been made to the hardware. If you want a custom designed main board then you need to buy our microRendu.

The power supply I'm talking about is external so nothing to bypass internally. Like I said the Sonicorbiter SE is based on a Cubox and no changes have been made to the hardware. If you want a custom designed main board then you need to buy our microRendu.

Thanks JR. I'm very familiar with both the mRendu and LPS-1 in my main system :-)

As I mentioned I'm looking at this for a 2nd system, on a smaller budget.

So am I correct that everything inside the sonicOrbiter SE is powered externally. The USB output, the Toslink output. etc. Everything is powered externally ?

The reason I ask is because as I mentioned I am familiar with the Hifiberry and Raspberry Pi. Adding an external linear PSU to the Hifiberry Digi+ doesn't do much because the Pi3 still has a cheap SMPS inside it. So you need to solder a 5V header to the Hifiberry board to add your linear PSU.

Sent from my Blackberry DTEK50 using Tapatalk

Thanks JR. I'm very familiar with both the mRendu and LPS-1 in my main system :-)

As I mentioned I'm looking at this for a 2nd system, on a smaller budget.

So am I correct that everything inside the sonicOrbiter SE is powered externally. The USB output, the Toslink output. etc. Everything is powered externally ?

The reason I ask is because as I mentioned I am familiar with the Hifiberry and Raspberry Pi. Adding an external linear PSU to the Hifiberry Digi+ doesn't do much because the Pi3 still has a cheap SMPS inside it. So you need to solder a 5V header to the Hifiberry board to add your linear PSU.

Sent from my Blackberry DTEK50 using Tapatalk

The SE was doing just fine with peoples main system before we made the microRendu;) The main point is that the OS is the same as the mciroRendu with some hardware specific tweaks. So it's a consolidated system you are already familiar with. The gear you mentioned is DIY and I have no clue what they are doing. You can only feed the SE external power. I recommend you use USB with the SE and optical as back up.

The SE was doing just fine with peoples main system before we made the microRendu;) The main point is that the OS is the same as the mciroRendu with some hardware specific tweaks. So it's a consolidated system you are already familiar with. The gear you mentioned is DIY and I have no clue what they are doing. You can only feed the SE external power. I recommend you use USB with the SE and optical as back up.

It's showing as sold out, on both the SGC website and the Sonore website. Do you have a rough idea when it will be back in stock?