IGNORED

Sonore Sonicorbiter SE - discontinued

You probably cannot have two NAA processes running at the same time, one for each DAC. You will probably have to switch the NAA software running on the SOSE between the two DACs using the SOSE web page.

After switching DACs (which should restart the NAA) I'm not sure whether you have to do anything on the HQP side or not.

Thanks, John. I'm hoping to have time to fool with it tonight, so I'll see what develops. I don't plan to have two NAA processes running simultaneously (at least as I understand it), but I thought perhaps I'd be able to switch between the two DACs in HQP (stop HQP completely, switch DACs in HQP's NAA settings, start HQP playing again) without having to reboot the SOSE. I know the Mytek Stereo192 DSD is very sensitive to any changes in settings, so that may well be the fly in the ointment.

IAC, I'll find out and report back once I've got a handle on things.

--David

Listening Room: Mac mini (Roon Core) > iMac (HQP) > exaSound PlayPoint (as NAA) > exaSound e32 > W4S STP-SE > Benchmark AHB2 > Wilson Sophia Series 2 (Details)

Office: Mac Pro >  AudioQuest DragonFly Red > JBL LSR305

Mobile: iPhone 6S > AudioQuest DragonFly Black > JH Audio JH5

So there's no hidden agenda in this question, but since the SOSE has two USB ports, I was wondering if hooking up two different DACs would cause any issues. I'm finally getting around to bringing my iFi iDSD nano home from the office so I can compare it with the Mytek (both via the SOSE in HQP NAA mode). Once I get the two DACs connected properly, I should be able to switch back and forth pretty easily from within HQPlayer, correct? Or will I need to reboot the SOSE each time I switch between DACs?

(If no one knows the answer, I'll just go the trial-and-error route.)

--David

HQ Player should find all connected devices including the onboard optical output. I assume that you can switch between them in HQ Player, but I have not tried it. The Mytek Stereo 192/DSD DAC needs to be on when the Sonicorbiter SE boots and you can't hot swap the connection.

Update:

The Sonicorbiter SE has an updated available to play native DSD with new devices. Refer here for the list of supported devices.

Sonicorbiter - Native DSD support

Please follow this upgrade procedure:

1. Go to Apps and select Software Manager

2. Now select Update

3. Wait for "Back to main menu" to appear at the bottom of the screen and ignore any Complete notices

HQ Player should find all connected devices including the onboard optical output. I assume that you can switch between them in HQ Player, but I have not tried it. The Mytek Stereo 192/DSD DAC needs to be on when the Sonicorbiter SE boots and you can't hot swap the connection.

Thanks, Jesus. Yes, this is how it worked when I tried it. Just to be on the safe side, I powered down the SOSE from the web interface, left the Mytek as it was (it's actually SOSE -> USB -> Audiophilleo -> S/PDIF -> Mytek), hooked up the iFi iDSD nano to the SOSE via another USB port, and then cycled the power on the SOSE. When the SOSE came back up (configured as HQP NAA), I could see both the iFi and the Audiophilleo in the "Device" pop-up in HQP Desktop's settings, and I could switch between the two DACs at will. I just had to stop HQP before making the switch and make sure settings (and pre-amp inputs - doh!) were correct for each DAC before starting up HQP again.

The bad news is that the DACs seemed to degrade each other's SQ a bit when they were both powered up and plugged into the SOSE. I'm inclined to blame the iDSD nano for this — It is, after all, a pretty inexpensive DAC. Tonight I'll try again with one DAC powered down while I test the other. Sadly, I think this will entail a lot more rebooting of the SOSE.

For me, the most significant thing I discovered last night is that my 4.0GHz quad-core i7 iMac was able to upsample all kinds of source material to DSD256 (with poly-sinc-short-MP filter in HQP) without ever going over ~20% CPU, so that bodes well for future experiments with DSD512.

--David

Listening Room: Mac mini (Roon Core) > iMac (HQP) > exaSound PlayPoint (as NAA) > exaSound e32 > W4S STP-SE > Benchmark AHB2 > Wilson Sophia Series 2 (Details)

Office: Mac Pro >  AudioQuest DragonFly Red > JBL LSR305

Mobile: iPhone 6S > AudioQuest DragonFly Black > JH Audio JH5

I continually get cannot connect to the server after a reboot... New to the SE and having issues. Have it Ethernet connected to my Fritzbox and via USB to my matrix mini. Wanting to access my library on my synology 415+ with no luck. Can someone please help a clueless newbie out? Is there another link in the chain that I'm missing? Had the output set to USB on the SE ... Checked network settings on the Fritzbox to confirm that the ip address was still the same and it is... Not sure what the issue is here...

I continually get cannot connect to the server after a reboot... New to the SE and having issues. Have it Ethernet connected to my Fritzbox and via USB to my matrix mini. Wanting to access my library on my synology 415+ with no luck. Can someone please help a clueless newbie out? Is there another link in the chain that I'm missing? Had the output set to USB on the SE ... Checked network settings on the Fritzbox to confirm that the ip address was still the same and it is... Not sure what the issue is here...

Can you try unplugging the power cable and waiting a minute before retesting.

I'm in the middle of reviewing the new AudioQuest DragonFly Black and DragonFly Red. Connected to the microRendu both devices work perfect. Connected to the Sonicorbiter SE both devices work found about 5 seconds, then I hear loud screeching noises and it's unlistenable.

Any ideas what's going on?

I'll email you...

• 2 weeks later...

Is there a way to revert to an old OS?

I updated my sonicorbiter yesterday and the sound is thinner / brighter than before.

The sonicorbiter was bought in late April and never updated until now. Can't tell which revision came with it (the update has the save version number).

Is there a way to revert to an old OS?

I updated my sonicorbiter yesterday and the sound is thinner / brighter than before.

The sonicorbiter was bought in late April and never updated until now. Can't tell which revision came with it (the update has the save version number).

No can do.

• 5 weeks later...

I recently changed my system to a Devialet 200 integrated with built-in DAC. When I use the Sonic Orbiter to stream via Roon, all resolutions up to 192/24 and DSD64 play fine. However, if the resolution changes from one track to the next - there is no sound. I need to add the track a second time and hit skip for it to play. In other words, if I'm listening to a track at 44/16 and the next track is 96/24, the 96/24 track will not play until I add it to the playlist again as the next song and hit skip at which time playback commences. Any idea how this issue can be corrected?

I recently changed my system to a Devialet 200 integrated with built-in DAC. When I use the Sonic Orbiter to stream via Roon, all resolutions up to 192/24 and DSD64 play fine. However, if the resolution changes from one track to the next - there is no sound. I need to add the track a second time and hit skip for it to play. In other words, if I'm listening to a track at 44/16 and the next track is 96/24, the 96/24 track will not play until I add it to the playlist again as the next song and hit skip at which time playback commences. Any idea how this issue can be corrected?

What output mode are you using? That device is problematic and they are not very responsive.

What output mode are you using? That device is problematic and they are not very responsive.

I am using the USB output with the RoonReady app. The Settings are Audio Device = USB DAC, Volume Control = None, and DSD Support = DoP.

I prefer using the RoonReady app, but would it be an option for me to use the HQPlayer app and force the output to DSD64?

In Roon try adjusting the Resync Delay for the RoonReady device connected to that DAC.

I'm interested switching from Sonos over to Roon --Roon is just so freaking sleek and effective at organizing my library and I'm turned off by Sonos only supporting sample rates up to 44.1kHz. Based on my research thus far, integrating either a microRendu or a Sonicorbiter SE into the setup is a great, cost effective way to do this.

As somewhat of a newbie, I'm wondering if just one of these devices will be all that I need, or if I will also have to buy some sort of additional music server? I've done a lot of reading and there seem to be conflicting reports. My current setup is a Synology NAS attached to my router storing all of my music (I should clarify that the model I have isn't able to run Roon Server). I have a Macbook that I can use to access the music files via Roon software. I then have a Shiit DAC that is attached to my amp. If I were to add a microRendu or Sonicorbiter SE, would this sufficiently serve the music to my DAC and amp....or am I missing a piece in the puzzle. Any help would be much appreciated!

As somewhat of a newbie, I'm wondering if just one of these devices will be all that I need, or if I will also have to buy some sort of additional music server? I've done a lot of reading and there seem to be conflicting reports. My current setup is a Synology NAS attached to my router storing all of my music (I should clarify that the model I have isn't able to run Roon Server). I have a Macbook that I can use to access the music files via Roon software. I then have a Shiit DAC that is attached to my amp. If I were to add a microRendu or Sonicorbiter SE, would this sufficiently serve the music to my DAC and amp....or am I missing a piece in the puzzle. Any help would be much appreciated!

You need some kind of machine to run the Roon server and store Roon metadata. You could use your Macbook for that, assuming it has enough free (preferably SSD) disk, but you'd have to keep it always running, and preferably connected via Ethernet to your router (to avoid dropouts if/when your WiFi glitches), whenever you are playing music.

In Roon try adjusting the Resync Delay for the RoonReady device connected to that DAC.

Unfortunately that didn't work. It just keeps on skipping the first track when the resolution changes.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Unfortunately that didn't work. It just keeps on skipping the first track when the resolution changes.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I don't any more tricks to get that device to play nice. We sent them a unit so they can work on things and have not heard from them again.

I don't any more tricks to get that device to play nice. We sent them a unit so they can work on things and have not heard from them again.

Would the microRendu have the same issues as the Sonicorbiter SE? If not, I may upgrade. On the Devialet forum it seems like some people have it working.

You need some kind of machine to run the Roon server and store Roon metadata. You could use your Macbook for that, assuming it has enough free (preferably SSD) disk, but you'd have to keep it always running, and preferably connected via Ethernet to your router (to avoid dropouts if/when your WiFi glitches), whenever you are playing music.

You could use a SonicTransporter, has Roon server, just needs power and LAN connection, I have mine away from music room.

https://microjukebox.com/products/sonictransporter

rogerdn

You could use a SonicTransporter, has Roon server, just needs power and LAN connection, I have mine away from music room.

https://microjukebox.com/products/sonictransporter

Sure, that seems a good choice if one wants to buy extra gear (personally, I have an Intel NUC running Ubuntu, as I'm pretty comfortable messing around with Linux servers), but @mgeba321 might not want to spend on an extra computer.

• 2 weeks later...