IGNORED

Sonore Sonicorbiter SE - discontinued

Jesus,

I recently received my SonicOrbiter SE. And it works and sounds amazing! I’m powering it with an ifi micro iUSB3.0, and have the SonicOrbiter SE USB 1 port plugged into the ifi USB input and a Gemini cable connecting the ifi USB output to the DAC USB port on an Oppo BRP-105D. I use jRiver and jRemote to play music in DNLA mode. I have a small issue. I don’t leave my Oppo on all the time and after turning it back on, I have to reboot the SonicOrbiter SE, because it don’t see the DAC until after I reboot. Besides leaving the Oppo on all the time, is there a way around it?

What happens if you press the output mode again in App Switcher from the GUI? You can also restart the unit from the GUI.

What happens if you press the output mode again in App Switcher from the GUI? You can also restart the unit from the GUI.

Each time I rebooted, it was from the System tab in the GUI. I will rearrange the HDMI cables on the TV, moving the ACR to the receiver so the Oppo doesn't auto-shutdown. I plan to leave the DAC on all the time.

NUC >  M5 > May KTE > Bliss KTE > Headphone of the day

Hi, Jesus

My family was so happy with SB ecosystem, and now, with purchasing new player (sms-100) we cannot integrate it smoothly, sadly..:(

Would you let me know if something could be done to fix issue related to the conflict I guess of MAC addresses of the Squeezelite and sms 100 or just to forget and seek different solution?

Unfortunately, I myself definitely won’t be able to solve this...

Squeezelite shows MAC 00:04:20:B6:9C:C7 (not editable) in settings , while sms100 in fact has MAC 00:25:31:02:1C:D0

May be this is causing conflict from SBS and msg that “player is registered to another account”? other conflicts like apps integration also are annoying...

Is it possible/necessary to change Squeezelite MAC to avoid this?

appreciate so much any support or advice

Gelmius

Hi, Jesus

My family was so happy with SB ecosystem, and now, with purchasing new player (sms-100) we cannot integrate it smoothly, sadly..:(

Would you let me know if something could be done to fix issue related to the conflict I guess of MAC addresses of the Squeezelite and sms 100 or just to forget and seek different solution?

Unfortunately, I myself definitely won’t be able to solve this...

Squeezelite shows MAC 00:04:20:B6:9C:C7 (not editable) in settings , while sms100 in fact has MAC 00:25:31:02:1C:D0

May be this is causing conflict from SBS and msg that “player is registered to another account”? other conflicts like apps integration also are annoying...

Is it possible/necessary to change Squeezelite MAC to avoid this?

appreciate so much any support or advice

Gelmius

It's best to contact SOtM directly regarding this matter.

I have a couple of questions if you don't mind...

I currently use a mini PC running LMS and Squeezelite as local player, and have another SBT which accesses LMS on the mini PC. My FLAC files are stored on another networked PC. I'm interested to replace the mini PC with a SOSE keeping the same set up. Main reason being Tidal is not stable at my place (and many others in Australia) so Roon is out and I'm reliant on Spotify (and therefore LMS) for that side of things.

Am I right in assuming LMS runs locally on the SOSE, and that access (e.g. settings) is the same as if it were on any other PC?

Will LMS running on the SOSE function as server to a SBT as an additional device?

Would a Teddy Pardo LPSU (5V3A) be suitable for the SOSE, or does the slightly higher output pose an issue.

Also, out of interest can anyone offer comment on how the SQ of Squeezelite mode compares to the others.

Thanks Adam

I have a couple of questions if you don't mind...

I currently use a mini PC running LMS and Squeezelite as local player, and have another SBT which accesses LMS on the mini PC. My FLAC files are stored on another networked PC. I'm interested to replace the mini PC with a SOSE keeping the same set up. Main reason being Tidal is not stable at my place (and many others in Australia) so Roon is out and I'm reliant on Spotify (and therefore LMS) for that side of things.

Am I right in assuming LMS runs locally on the SOSE, and that access (e.g. settings) is the same as if it were on any other PC?

Will LMS running on the SOSE function as server to a SBT as an additional device?

Would a Teddy Pardo LPSU (5V3A) be suitable for the SOSE, or does the slightly higher output pose an issue.

Also, out of interest can anyone offer comment on how the SQ of Squeezelite mode compares to the others.

Thanks Adam

Yes on all questions. SQ wise it's a great little unit.

What's a better LPS, a Teddy Pardo or HD Plex? Both are comparably priced.

Ryzen 7 2700 PC Server, NUC7CJYH w. 4G Apacer RAM as Renderer/LPS 1.2 - IsoRegen/LPS-1/.2 - Singxer SU-1/LPS1.2 - Holo Spring Level 3 DAC - LTA MicroZOTL MZ2 - Modwright KWA 150 Signature Amp - Tidal Audio Piano's.  

Thanks Jesus

What's a better LPS, a Teddy Pardo or HD Plex? Both are comparably priced.

No experience with the HD Plex sorry. Only asked about the Teddy as I already have one, otherwise I'd just be going with the low noise PSU options available through Sonore.

Thanks Jesus

No experience with the HD Plex sorry. Only asked about the Teddy as I already have one, otherwise I'd just be going with the low noise PSU options available through Sonore.

Okay...use the Teddy Pardo power supply with the Sonicorbiter SE.

Im looking to use a few SOSE to add Roon endpoints to a few systems. I need to get a few new DACs in the process. Do you have a list of DACS that will work with the USB output? I am looking at the Teac 301, M2T EVO2 DAC and Mytek Brooklyn. I want to be able to get DSD to all DACS so the USB output is best.

Im looking to use a few SOSE to add Roon endpoints to a few systems. I need to get a few new DACs in the process. Do you have a list of DACS that will work with the USB output? I am looking at the Teac 301, M2T EVO2 DAC and Mytek Brooklyn. I want to be able to get DSD to all DACS so the USB output is best.

Jesus maintains a list here:

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f26-sonore-sponsored/sonore-sonicorbiter-se-and-microrendu-native-direct-stream-digital-support-27418/index2.html#post506710

If you're interested in something else (and you're an SOSE owner), just contact Jesus at the email address at the bottom of the linked post.

--David

Listening Room: Mac mini (Roon Core) > iMac (HQP) > exaSound PlayPoint (as NAA) > exaSound e32 > W4S STP-SE > Benchmark AHB2 > Wilson Sophia Series 2 (Details)

Office: Mac Pro >  AudioQuest DragonFly Red > JBL LSR305

Mobile: iPhone 6S > AudioQuest DragonFly Black > JH Audio JH5

Jesus,

I recently received my SonicOrbiter SE. And it works and sounds amazing! I’m powering it with an ifi micro iUSB3.0, and have the SonicOrbiter SE USB 1 port plugged into the ifi USB input and a Gemini cable connecting the ifi USB output to the DAC USB port on an Oppo BRP-105D. I use jRiver and jRemote to play music in DNLA mode. I have a small issue. I don’t leave my Oppo on all the time and after turning it back on, I have to reboot the SonicOrbiter SE, because it don’t see the DAC until after I reboot. Besides leaving the Oppo on all the time, is there a way around it?

Hi WynnHiFi,

You are experiencing a problem exactly like one I have with an Emotiva Preamp/DAC XDA-2 gen 2. When I contacted support at Vortex I was told my issue was the first time that problem had surfaced, so yours is another example. I think the Oppo has a Saber DAC, the Emotiva uses a different brand, Analog Devices AD1955. So the issue does not seem to be tied to the DAC brand. I have just purchased a Parasound Halo Integrated which has a Saber DAC. My new unit is enroute and now I'm concerned the problem will still be present with the Halo's DAC. If so, I'm sending mine back, I'm not leaving an integrated amp powered up because of a software problem with the SOSE, which is increasingly looking like this is to me. Two different DACs, two different host systems (Oppo and Emotiva), same exact problem with the SOSE, it's hard to think that's not where the problem lies. I'll report back to this thread when I try my new Halo. -ml

If so, I'm sending mine back, I'm not leaving an integrated amp powered up because of a software problem with the SOSE, which is increasingly looking like this is to me. Two different DACs, two different host systems (Oppo and Emotiva), same exact problem with the SOSE, it's hard to think that's not where the problem lies. I'll report back to this thread when I try my new Halo. -ml

Not to excuse the SOSE (I'm very happy with mine, BTW), but you may not want to keep powering your DACs up and down. Good quality DACs need to stabilize thermally for best SQ, so keeping them on all the time is the best choice if SQ is your top concern. I know, what about power consumption? My two DACs (Schiit Bifrost Multibit and the integrated DAC in a Bel Canto C7R) draw little power and their sound does get better after they reach their steady-state temperature, so I leave them on unless I'm away from home for an extended period.

Hi WynnHiFi,

You are experiencing a problem exactly like one I have with an Emotiva Preamp/DAC XDA-2 gen 2. When I contacted support at Vortex I was told my issue was the first time that problem had surfaced, so yours is another example. I think the Oppo has a Saber DAC, the Emotiva uses a different brand, Analog Devices AD1955. So the issue does not seem to be tied to the DAC brand. I have just purchased a Parasound Halo Integrated which has a Saber DAC. My new unit is enroute and now I'm concerned the problem will still be present with the Halo's DAC. If so, I'm sending mine back, I'm not leaving an integrated amp powered up because of a software problem with the SOSE, which is increasingly looking like this is to me. Two different DACs, two different host systems (Oppo and Emotiva), same exact problem with the SOSE, it's hard to think that's not where the problem lies. I'll report back to this thread when I try my new Halo. -ml

Hi mleuba,

After my initial post, I tried to reproduce the problem and found it to be intermittent. It seems the only time it reoccurred was when I turned off the TV after watching an external device connected to the TV. The TV’s HDMI ACR was connected to the Oppo’s HDMI ACR. Every time I turned off the TV the Oppo would also turn off. The following day, when I switched to the USB input on the Oppo, intermittently I would have to reboot the SOSE. It didn’t happen every time. I’ve since moved the HDMI cable on the TV to a non-ACR port and so far the problem hasn’t repeated.

WynnHiFi

NUC >  M5 > May KTE > Bliss KTE > Headphone of the day

Hi mleuba,

After my initial post, I tried to reproduce the problem and found it to be intermittent. It seems the only time it reoccurred was when I turned off the TV after watching an external device connected to the TV. The TV’s HDMI ACR was connected to the Oppo’s HDMI ACR. Every time I turned off the TV the Oppo would also turn off. The following day, when I switched to the USB input on the Oppo, intermittently I would have to reboot the SOSE. It didn’t happen every time. I’ve since moved the HDMI cable on the TV to a non-ACR port and so far the problem hasn’t repeated.

WynnHiFi

That is good to know WynnHiFi, I really appreciate your information and i hope the ACR was the cause for you. I don't use ACR features (no HDMI on the Emotiva either), but I am using the USB for input. I tried TOSLINK as an alternative when this issue first became apparent, but that did not resolve the problem. Andrew initially worked with me to try to debug it, and pretty much wrote it off to the Emotiva DAC, which is one reason I am changing my gear -- and that seemed to make sense, making me think the issue was not SOSE. But if a reboot is needed with Sabre DAC's like the Oppo (and Halo), then maybe it's not the DAC. It's a great little machine in many ways, I'm using SqueezeLite and happy with the sonics, just not the finer points of integration.

That is good to know WynnHiFi, I really appreciate your information and i hope the ACR was the cause for you. I don't use ACR features (no HDMI on the Emotiva either), but I am using the USB for input. I tried TOSLINK as an alternative when this issue first became apparent, but that did not resolve the problem. Andrew initially worked with me to try to debug it, and pretty much wrote it off to the Emotiva DAC, which is one reason I am changing my gear -- and that seemed to make sense, making me think the issue was not SOSE. But if a reboot is needed with Sabre DAC's like the Oppo (and Halo), then maybe it's not the DAC. It's a great little machine in many ways, I'm using SqueezeLite and happy with the sonics, just not the finer points of integration.

Some devices need this reboot for the Linux operating system to initialize them. It appears to be a firmware issue with the DAC and not related to what DAC chip the device uses internally.

Some devices need this reboot for the Linux operating system to initialize them. It appears to be a firmware issue with the DAC and not related to what DAC chip the device uses internally.

That's helpful Jesus, do you know if this is known to be a none issues with the Halo by chance? Thanks for your help.

Hi, two very basic questions. First, is it possible to connect my music files to the SOSE from an external USB hard drive instead of NAS? I noticed the SOSE only has an ethernet input.

So I was confused when I read this:

Mode #3b - MPD Output - This output is intended to work with local storage. This output supports true gapless playback of PCM, DSD/DoP, and native DSD. This option requires a USB drive with your content in combination with the built in Drive Mounter application.

Also, can software other than Roon be used to control playback?

Thank you!

Hi, two very basic questions. First, is it possible to connect my music files to the SOSE from an external USB hard drive instead of NAS? I noticed the SOSE only has an ethernet input.

So I was confused when I read this:

Mode #3b - MPD Output - This output is intended to work with local storage. This output supports true gapless playback of PCM, DSD/DoP, and native DSD. This option requires a USB drive with your content in combination with the built in Drive Mounter application.

Also, can software other than Roon be used to control playback?

Thank you!

You can connect a USB drive to the Sonicorbiter SE for local playback. The ethernet connection is still needed for network access of the unit for configuration and control via the client applications.

For more information about MPD and it's clients refer to this link: http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f26-sonore-sponsored/sonore-sonicorbiter-se-and-microrendu-digital-living-network-alliance-mpd-output-mode-27265/

Form more information about mounting a drive refer to this link: http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f26-sonore-sponsored/sonore-sonicorbiter-se-and-microrendu-drive-mounter-27417/

Hi,

I have a question regarding USB to HDMI converters and if they work with the Sonicorbiter SE.

I currently listen to stereo music stored on my NAS fed to my Onkyo receiver via Roon and my PC through optical cable.

I listen to multichannel music stored on my NAS fed to my Oppo BDP-103 through ethernet then via HDMI to my Onkyo receiver.

As the Oppo BDP-103 cannot be fed via USB from the Sonicorbiter SE can I just get a USB to HDMI converter and use it that way, then feed it from the Oppo’s HDMI to the receiver ?

I hope that makes sense ?

Cheers

Hi,

I have a question regarding USB to HDMI converters and if they work with the Sonicorbiter SE.

I currently listen to stereo music stored on my NAS fed to my Onkyo receiver via Roon and my PC through optical cable.

I listen to multichannel music stored on my NAS fed to my Oppo BDP-103 through ethernet then via HDMI to my Onkyo receiver.

As the Oppo BDP-103 cannot be fed via USB from the Sonicorbiter SE can I just get a USB to HDMI converter and use it that way, then feed it from the Oppo’s HDMI to the receiver ?

I hope that makes sense ?

Cheers

That output is not enabled for audio playback.