IGNORED

2 PC Jplay setup - how important is the control pc to the sound?

tboooe

I have a 2 pc setup (control and audio pc) using Jplay + Audiophile Optimizer + Fidelizer. At the moment, I am using a old Atom based Acer pc I had laying around for my control pc. The Acer is by no means optimized in terms of hardware though it is fed by a Keces linear power supply. It has a fan, noisy internal power supply, mobo usb, etc. I've been thinking about building a CAPS type control pc to replace the Acer. However, before I spend all the time and money into building a new pc, I was wondering how important the control pc is to the overall sound? Has anyone upgraded their control pc from something more modest? I would really appreciate hearing if you experienced an improvement?

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

I have a 2 pc setup (control and audio pc) using Jplay + Audiophile Optimizer + Fidelizer. At the moment, I am using a old Atom based Acer pc I had laying around for my control pc. The Acer is by no means optimized in terms of hardware though it is fed by a Keces linear power supply. It has a fan, noisy internal power supply, mobo usb, etc. I've been thinking about building a CAPS type control pc to replace the Acer. However, before I spend all the time and money into building a new pc, I was wondering how important the control pc is to the overall sound? Has anyone upgraded their control pc from something more modest? I would really appreciate hearing if you experienced an improvement?

The Controlpc matters.

Some time ago Marcin had suggested I get the JCAT Sata cable for my Controlpc. He assured me it would improve the sound.

Even though this purchase seemed counter-intuitive, I made it and he was right. The sound definitely improved.

Joel

Thank you Joel. I appreciate the response. I know its impossible to determine but I am trying to figure out how much improvement I will get by building a dedicated control PC with high quality parts versus my current Acer. A new custom pc built will cost me around $1200 so I am trying to see if I can get more bang for my buck spending that money elsewhere in my system (DAC, Mutec clock, etc).

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

Happy to try to help.

In fact I have the Mutec clock and the new USB Mutec clock, both of which I recommend.

As for where your greatest bang for the buck will come, you're right, it's very hard to say.

Let's put it this way, between a new Sata cable, clock, or DAC, you'll likely get a nice return on your investment regardless of which direction you go.

Enjoy.

Joel

I do have a control PC which I have swapped its supply from IC reg to discreet components in shunt , i.e. using On semicond BJT. different power supply changes the sound too on dual PC setup.

control PC : NUC 5ppyh, LPS

Audio PC : 2 x PPA V3 USB audio PC, HDPLEX LPS

USB SPDIF : Singxer F1

DAC : MSB Analog (dedicated power supply) with Quad rate USB

Power amp : AudioGD C1

Speaker : Dynaudio C1

Subwoofer : REL Stratus II

I do have a control PC which I have swapped its supply from IC reg to discreet components in shunt , i.e. using On semicond BJT. different power supply changes the sound too on dual PC setup.

Thank you for your reply. I am planning my control pc build now.

BTW, I noticed in your sig that you have the PPA V3. I am going to get the V4 for my audio pc shortly. I would love to hear your thoughts on the V3. Did you have another USB card before? How are you powering it? What riser card or cable are you using? I am still using the USB from the mobo so I hope the V4 will be a big improvement.

Other components:

Thank you for your reply. I am planning my control pc build now.

BTW, I noticed in your sig that you have the PPA V3. I am going to get the V4 for my audio pc shortly.

> I am using V4 now for the USB out. I am also using OCXO for my H97M-E mobo.

I would love to hear your thoughts on the V3. V3 or V4 is just a difference in cable implementation.

> Did you have another USB card before?

> have not used any other.

How are you powering it?

> I have powered it with a variety of linear DC power supply, including teradak, hdplex and self made DIY power supply using ultra low noise reguators such as TPS7A4700 and LT 3042 (diyinhk). at the end, I found the LT 3042 board is best for both the USB and mobo clock.

What riser card or cable are you using? I am still using the USB from the mobo so I hope the V4 will be a big improvement.

> if you are using mobo USB, that will be BIG upgrade in sound performance. try a good power supply such as paul hynes, teddy or uptone.

control PC : NUC 5ppyh, LPS

Audio PC : 2 x PPA V3 USB audio PC, HDPLEX LPS

USB SPDIF : Singxer F1

DAC : MSB Analog (dedicated power supply) with Quad rate USB

Power amp : AudioGD C1

Speaker : Dynaudio C1

Subwoofer : REL Stratus II