IGNORED

"price no object" component (ex/spkrs)

We were very fortunate in being able to buy our Boesendorfer 225 thirty years ago. In 1985 the US dollar was the strongest it has ever been, before or after, and for comparison the GBP was about $1.10 and the French franc was 9 to a dollar. We (my wife) picked out our 225 in Vienna at the factory finishing shop where they did the final voicing of all their pianos (and where she had the choice of four different 225's to choose from.) They had given us a tour of the factory the day before in Weiner Neustadt, south of Vienna (the Vienna New City which was about 1000 years old). We found that the Paris dealer gave us the best deal, so we paid in French Francs. They trucked the piano from Vienna to Paris and then flew it to LA, where it was trucked to our home in the SF Bay area. Total cost including shipping was $24,000 US. I believe the US price at the time was about $60K. The 225 has 4 extra keys - 92 instead of 88. The biggest models, the 290 (and I think the 275) have 97 keys. All the extra keys are at the bottom of the keyboard and there are a few pieces that have been written for the extra keys. The model numbers indicate the size of piano (metric length - so the 225 is 2.25 meters long (7' 4" ) while the 170 is 1.7m long (5'7", the size of a Steinway M). Our 225 is called a "Halbkonzert", half concert, and is often used in smaller concert halls, with the full concert grands, the 290 is 9' 6" are used in big concert halls. A 170 fits nicely in most living rooms.

Larry

PS. There are other great pianos - Hamburg Steinway and Fazioli are two. My wife particularly is enamored of the sound of the Boesendorfer and I have been playing quite a bit recently, a great sound and great touch.

A New York Steinway ain't too shabby either. Neither is a modern Mason and Hamlin which is also a pretty good grand piano - at least as good as a Yamaha or a Kawai (in fact I prefer the sound of the M&H to either of the two Japanese grands) Also, one mustn't forget the Bechstein and I understand that there is a Korean-made grand piano that is highly rated, but I don't know anything about it. It also wouldn't surprise me to see a mainline Chinese piano brand or two show-up on the international market before long (if they haven't already). I can't speak as to how any of these play; I appreciate the sound of pianos, I don't play one - at all. I agree with you about the Bosendorfer. They are magnificent sounding instruments and congrats on your timely purchase. I suspect that a new 225 today would be more than US$150,000 and a 290 would be pushing a quarter of a million!

George

Can I put in that I'm pretty happy and unsure any one component would give a massive improvement in my current system. Perhaps a Naim NAC-N 272 to replace the UnitiQute as source/pre but everything is pretty balanced and I'm happy with the compromises of the room.

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

• 1 month later...

WITHOUT QUESTION!!!!

A pair of Mark Levinson (by Madrigal) No. 20.5 or No. 20.6 Mono Block Power Amplifiers

A Mark Levinson (by Madrigal) No. 26 Control Amplifier

An Outboard Phono Stage of equal quality

A VPI Prime Turntable + Sumiko Blackbird Phono Cartridge

My current Speaker System are a pair of KEF Reference 102's with KUBE (1986-91), and the Mark Levinson Preamplifier and Power Amplifiers mentioned are the same vintage as my Speaker System.

100 Watts @ 8 Ohms (and 200 Watts @ 4 Ohms) in Class A?!?! Oh My "FRIGGIN" God!!!!

That will be the LAST SYSTEM I'll EVER put together.

--Charles--

I used to dream of owning the Levinson No. 33 amplifiers.

Right now if cost were no object and I could find one, I'd get a Pacific Microsonics Model 2 DAC.

Chris

I was "fortunate" to own them with Wilson X1s back in the day.

Personally, one of the biggest mistakes I have ever made in audio was selling my Spectral Monos (and Stereo Amp before that) for the 33

But that was me. Others obviously had a much different opinion. I was VERY happy when I sold them.

Ayre KX-R Twenty line preamp, I haven't heard the Twenty version but the original was the best preamp I've ever auditioned and the Twenty is said to be better.

It is possible that I might prefer one of the serious money speaker systems from YG, Vivid, Wilson, Magico, Rockport, etc. but I haven't heard most of these and cost is certainly no guarantee of performance to my taste in high end audio.

Chris

I was "fortunate" to own them with Wilson X1s back in the day.

Personally, one of the biggest mistakes I have ever made in audio was selling my Spectral Monos (and Stereo Amp before that) for the 33

But that was me. Others obviously had a much different opinion. I was VERY happy when I sold them.

Ah yes, Spectral monos should be on my list right now as well.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

I'd spend the cash on an a mastering studio.. Would the OP allow me to include the salary of a mastering engineer and the costs to get the master tapes out of the hands of the record companies that have made a mess of things in my cost no object fantasy..... :-)

"The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place". George Bernard Shaw.

If the audiophile fairy granted you one

component excluding speakers, price

no object, to complement your existing

system; you would choose.........?

I would go for the top end mega-buck

W20 aurender music player.

pb-

Sound Lab Majestic 945PX speakers (US$40K/pair)

or

Martin-Logan Neolith Speakers (US$80K/pair)

or

Martin-Logan CLXs with a pair of M-L "Balanced Force" 212 subwoofers (US$34K/pair)

George

When I was in collage I had the opportunity to listen to a complete Cello system at the Cello dealer in town. While there was only a few showrooms we had a dealer in Nashville for some reason. I loved this store...had all kinds of cool things. Anyway I keep my eye out on the used market for the following items but they are always very expensive. The other downside is if it breaks It would be hard to fix.

Cello Audio Palette (Class A EQ)

cello2.jpeg

Inside of the Audio Palette

cello1.jpg

Cello Audio Suite (Modular Preamp)

cello3.jpg

While still working in the music industry I had spoken with Mark Levinson about one of these for our Studier A80 1/2" They made playback electronics for the A80 and it went in this box. Also has a bunch of other cool modules. Very nice.

Accuphase DP-720 (SACD Player/DAC)

dp-720.jpg

So I still love SACD and personally own a Mac SACD transport and DAC. This is one of those things like an expensive watch. Other options work just fine but there is something about it that draw me in. Love the retro looks and while I have not heard this piece yet - it if was a real contender I would travel to a dealer to do so.

I seem to have a weakness for the heavy-iron side of the audio hobby. Transformers, tubes, and heavy casework. Too bad Cello is not still with us. It was truly one of the best sounding single vendor systems I have never heard.

My System: McIntosh C47, McIntosh MC152, McIntosh MCT450, Prima Luna Dialogue Premium Tube Integrated, Dynaudio Special 25's, Transparent Super Interconnects and Speaker Cables

When I was in collage I had the opportunity to listen to a complete Cello system at the Cello dealer in town. While there was only a few showrooms we had a dealer in Nashville for some reason. I loved this store...had all kinds of cool things. Anyway I keep my eye out on the used market for the following items but they are always very expensive. The other downside is if it breaks It would be hard to fix.

Cello Audio Palette (Class A EQ)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]24336[/ATTACH]

Inside of the Audio Palette

[ATTACH=CONFIG]24337[/ATTACH]

Cello Audio Suite (Modular Preamp)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]24338[/ATTACH]

While still working in the music industry I had spoken with Mark Levinson about one of these for our Studier A80 1/2" They made playback electronics for the A80 and it went in this box. Also has a bunch of other cool modules. Very nice.

Accuphase DP-720 (SACD Player/DAC)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]24339[/ATTACH]

So I still love SACD and personally own a Mac SACD transport and DAC. This is one of those things like an expensive watch. Other options work just fine but there is something about it that draw me in. Love the retro looks and while I have not heard this piece yet - it if was a real contender I would travel to a dealer to do so.

I seem to have a weakness for the heavy-iron side of the audio hobby. Transformers, tubes, and heavy casework. Too bad Cello is not still with us. It was truly one of the best sounding single vendor systems I have never heard.

It appears you may be in luck! Just came across this:

https://www.audiogon.com/listings/processors-cello-audio-palette-2016-02-01-home-theater-44060-mentor-oh

JC

I seem to have a weakness for the heavy-iron side of the audio hobby. Transformers, tubes, and heavy casework..

I believe I am of the same school. Even when I have owned, at times, light weight, but perfectly functional and good quality components, they are somehow never as satisfying as the "heavy iron" equivalents. Nor do they convey remotely the same degree of pride of ownership.

JC

Hey Tubelover - thanks for the tip. These pieces look in really good shape. Downside is the Audioksuite only has the phono module. Not sure where or of I could get the others. It is tempting. Price is the ball park of reasonable all things considered. I will have to contemplate this as it is a big leap of faith.

BTW - what type of tubes do you like for power and pre. Where do you like to get yours from? I have been working with Kevin Deal at Upscale for years and Tube Depot as well.

Any cool finds recently? Tubes rule. I have been running by amp in triode mode for a while and really like the laid back feel of it. Worked really well on the Beatles mono collection I received during the holidays.

Thanks again -

RL

My System: McIntosh C47, McIntosh MC152, McIntosh MCT450, Prima Luna Dialogue Premium Tube Integrated, Dynaudio Special 25's, Transparent Super Interconnects and Speaker Cables

dedicated audio room with no straight walls with un-parallel beams.

Speakers:Acapella Cellini

Amps: Shindo western electric 300b

Preamp: Audio valve conductor

Cables: Nordost valhala 2

Turntable: Clearaudio ovation

Phono stage: Audio valve Sunilda

Digital player: DCS Rossini

Conditioner: shunyata

Tweaks: Stillpoints and Shakti Hallograph

Record Cleaner: Keith MONKS by far the best cleaner

Music after life

A German made Steinway of my own choice I could live with. I still think as a pianist that a well made Steinway is hard to beat.

Funny, its crossed my mind several times to sell all my audio gear and replace it with a baby grand piano with a piano disc player....ahhh

Music after life

Wow - 25yr supply of NOS WE 300B.

How many are you using - mono blocks? - what is your output power? I have not heard 300B's and would like to. MY amp does with to Triode mode on the fly and I like the laid back vide it has. Really depends of source material.

Did you use a kit or your own design?

I like EL34's - hard to find NOS on those. Pre amp tubes no problem.

Tubes rule!!!

RL

Wow - 25yr supply of NOS WE 300B.

How many are you using - mono blocks? - what is your output power? I have not heard 300B's and would like to. MY amp does with to Triode mode on the fly and I like the laid back vide it has. Really depends of source material.

Did you use a kit or your own design?

I like EL34's - hard to find NOS on those. Pre amp tubes no problem.

Tubes rule!!!

RL

I have DIY PP monoblocks, about 15 wpc, pretty simple, sound great. I figure in 25 years my hearing will be gone so a 25 year supply (100) of WE 300Bs should be enough. :-)

Commercial PP300B amps are not very common. Border Patrols are expensive, Grant Fidelity more affordable. If you haven't heard a 300B amp you should. Nothing like triode-wired pentodes. If you can get away with 8 watts, there are a lot of decent Chinese-made single-ended 300B amps on eBay. Or look for some used Cary or Wavelength amps.