IGNORED

"price no object" component (ex/spkrs)

Cool, yeah Herman Miller is (or is one of) the leading contract furniture manufacturer in the world and has been for what, 60 years? Maybe longer. I'm from the states and studied design so I'm a fan. With you on the price of original HM versions, especially considering used ones are readily available...but not in here in Cape Town :/

I am not a fan of mid 20th century modern design, but those are comfortable chairs. A poor man's alternative is the Ikea Poang chair, with the more expensive leather pads. Very comfortable, incredibly sturdy, and fits with that mid century cool look. (Actually, it is Danish modern, but who's keeping track? :))

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

Early Arne Jacobsen was influenced by Eames, and not the other way around IIRC.

Absolutely. I was talking about the Poang chair there though, which was designed by Noboru Nakamura back in the 1970s, and was a take off on the Aalto Chair 406, designed in the 1930's by the great Alvo Aalto. :) T

he Aalto Chair 406 will set you back a couple grand or more, while the Poang (originally POEM) chair will cost you only a couple hundred. I cannot help it, I am cheap. I also like the tough little chair that easily takes my weight. :)

-Paul

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alvar_Aalto

Robert A. Heinlein

I'll cut you some slack since you are not a fan mid-century modern, but that fugly cheap crap Poang chair is an alternative to the Eames chair only in the sense that is provides something to sit on.

Hah! We agree, if you swap the chairs one likes around. I like 30's styles, but not 50's and 60's. ;)

Robert A. Heinlein

I'd love to have a pair of Mies van Der Rohe's "Barcelona" chairs in tobacco brown in my living room along with a matching Barcelona couch! Unfortunately, the "real things" are very expensive. a Knoll brand single Barcelona chair will set you back US$8000 or more.

I think one of the most beautiful rooms I've ever seen was on the cover of "High Fidelity" magazine back in the early 1960's. It pictured a room with a thick, fine-pile light tan carpet over hardwood floors, with the aforementioned tobacco brown Barcelona chairs (with matching ottomans) and long couch grouped around a low, glass-topped coffee table. Against the facing wall was an Altec Lansing "Paragon" stereo speaker system in oiled walnut. Ever since then I've wanted something similar (well maybe not the Paragon for SQ, although it couldn't be beat for looks) but "life" has always gotten in the way of that particular dream. Sigh!

Boy Howdy you can say that again!

Those are the "X" chairs right, with the buttoned leather upholstery? The do look exceeding cool and comfortable though. Never seen one in the tobacco leather though.

I like his Brno chairs with the flat metal best though. Utterly modern and timeless

style.

Robert A. Heinlein