IGNORED

MacBook Pro - TOSlink Optical - HeadRoom Ultra Micro Amp & DAC - DIY Acoustic Dampener/Angler - Bose SoundLink Mini II - DESKTOP GOODNESS

.....Finally, the SoundLink Mini II is a directional speaker and will always provide the best results when angled directly at your ears. It will also vibrate and that could be slightly problematic when placed on a wooden desk, the draws of which are full or rattly little items. So I wanted to solve two "problems" with one hit: acoustic vibration and speaker angle.

I did an EQ curve for my Bose Sound Link Mini - here's the graph of the settings:

http://dalethorn.com/Photos/Audioforge/Bose_Soundlink_Mini.jpg

It pretty well takes care of the problems....

Hi Dale. Could you decipher that graph for me, please? What is it telling us?

What I first try to do is suppress the worst deviations from flat or neutral, which we usually call colorations in speakers or headphones. Once that's done more-or-less, then listening and comparing it to other speakers (or headphones as appropriate), some fine tuning usually gets the best natural sound out of it. Perfectly flat via test tones almost never gets the best sound, even when flat can be determined empirically. In headphones, colorations are big soundstage killers. I can't say that much about speakers, but someday I need to try EQ'ing a full size system in a room. I think I can get better results than most people get with room treatments and sonic meters etc.

Dale, I checked out your site and it was fascinatining! We seem to have a few common interests! You might find some of the stuff on one of my blogs fun:

http://thirtyfivemill.com/

I've shot a Leica M6 TTL for many years and I own the MUGers Yahoo group which has been going now for 16 years. I also shoot Nikon, Minox and a Fuji X100. You'll also quickly realise I have a passion for watches and other miniature marvels.

I just downloaded the EQ apps you recommend from Audioforge. I've been looking for an EQ app of that exact kind over Christmas so many thanks for the pointer!

Have you reviewed your Soundlink Mini yet?

You have lots of interesting stuff in that blog. My guns, knives, watches etc. are on my youtube channel (dalethorn2), but I had to start over a month ago and much of mine aren't reposted yet. I haven't reviewed the fishing gear yet, but I've gotten a couple of nice rods put together by a famous guy here in S. Carolina. I've tried youtube videos of the small speakers with mixed success - I'm having problems with video corruption now. The text reviews I do generally only for headphones, and sometimes for amps. One review is about 24 hours work (3 days), so that's why I don't review everything. But having done 150 headphones, that experience has taught me how to get better sound through many different kinds of comparisons, with multiple headphones.