Unfortunately without hearing it for myself I am guessing but I will try to help. Static could be one of several things, one it could be the turntable is faulty. To test this try not playing a record but power it up and let the platter spin then listen through headphones. You should only hear some hiss when turned up really loud. Do you hear this static now or only when playing the record? If it's only during a record and the vinyl is new then it's likely as indicated above. This is static electricity. You can try removing the static itself with the use of a Zerostat gun or a hair dryer which has an ionizer built in. Your mom will be able to help with this as women often get static electricity in their hair so they use these better hair dryers to help. Yes you simply blow the hair dryer over the record. Do NOT do this while it's on the turntable as it can damage the turntable's cartridge. If you don't have access to a hair dryer with this feature you could try an in room air purifier or humidifier as these often help as well. That addresses the static electricity itself but it does not address anything that could've gotten stuck to the record from the static. You will need to clean the record to remove that. You can google how to do this in the kitchen sink.