IGNORED

Roon / HQPlayer Integration

Interesting. Your MBP specs are very similar to my mini's, and I can't seem to do better than DSD64 either. (I think I should be able to do DSD128 with the Mytek.) Can you point me to the thread on the Roon forum?

Glad you got it working, though.

--David

Edit: Found the Roon thread. Please let me know if you get DSD128 to work.

I seem to be stuck at DSD5v2 at best right now. DSD files anything won't play at anything above this setting.

Jussi, just wanted to say I finally got around to getting Roon, and after a bit of futzing, I have it integrated now w. HQP. Awesome sound and interface now. So firstly, Congrats on you and Roon working together so well!

One bit of help? I have my Mac Mini hooked up via hdmi and the response to moving the mouse is immediate. But I rarely use the tv to control this. I use screenshare thru my MBP, and there's about a 2-3 second delay with every mouse movement. Can you suggest any memory usage changes that would help, or is this simply a downside to using screenshare?

Thanks

Nevermind. It's the delay using wifi to control vs. hard wired. A def Doh! moment ;)

Ryzen 7 2700 PC Server, NUC7CJYH w. 4G Apacer RAM as Renderer/LPS 1.2 - IsoRegen/LPS-1/.2 - Singxer SU-1/LPS1.2 - Holo Spring Level 3 DAC - LTA MicroZOTL MZ2 - Modwright KWA 150 Signature Amp - Tidal Audio Piano's.  

Interesting. Your MBP specs are very similar to my mini's, and I can't seem to do better than DSD64 either. (I think I should be able to do DSD128 with the Mytek.) Can you point me to the thread on the Roon forum?

Glad you got it working, though.

--David

Edit: Found the Roon thread. Please let me know if you get DSD128 to work.

David, seems as if Roon is working on an update that could address this and also Jussi replied to me to try and use one of the -2 oversampling settings. This seems to work on all files for me now.

Just saw your post, so never mind what is below...

What you are describing may be a MacMini problem -- if no monitor is plugged in, you get terrible performance. To ensure smooth video performance, you need to plug something like this into the video port:

NewerTech 8-inch Headless Mac Video Accelerator in stock at OWC

http://www.amazon.com/CompuLab-fit-Headless-Display-Emulator/dp/B00FLZXGJ6

I have a MacMini headless setup, which I control through Roon on a MacBook Pro (with Roon Server running on the Mac Mini). But for setting HQ Player or otherwise running programs on the Mac Mini, I use screen sharing with the second device plugged into the video port and I have no problem with HQ Player.

Jussi, just wanted to say I finally got around to getting Roon, and after a bit of futzing, I have it integrated now w. HQP. Awesome sound and interface now. So firstly, Congrats on you and Roon working together so well!

One bit of help? I have my Mac Mini hooked up via hdmi and the response to moving the mouse is immediate. But I rarely use the tv to control this. I use screenshare thru my MBP, and there's about a 2-3 second delay with every mouse movement. Can you suggest any memory usage changes that would help, or is this simply a downside to using screenshare?

Thanks

David, seems as if Roon is working on an update that could address this and also Jussi replied to me to try and use one of the -2 oversampling settings. This seems to work on all files for me now.

I tried again last night to get HQP to play DSD128 through my Mytek DAC. I copied the settings in your screen shots in the Roon thread as best I could, allowing for modifications suggested bu Jussi. Still no dice (beyond the occasional hiss or pop), although as soon as I switch HQP back to DSD64 I'm in business again … and I can run pretty much any filter I want.

I was using a DSF track to do the testing. Maybe that's a particular problem? (I thought it was a reasonable approach, since there was no PCM->DSD conversion involved.)

Oh well, maybe the next update will address this. Meanwhile, I'm enjoying Roon/HQP integration tremendously, even with the "v1.0" issues. My system has never sounded so good.

--David

Listening Room: Mac mini (Roon Core) > iMac (HQP) > exaSound PlayPoint (as NAA) > exaSound e32 > W4S STP-SE > Benchmark AHB2 > Wilson Sophia Series 2 (Details)

Office: Mac Pro >  AudioQuest DragonFly Red > JBL LSR305

Mobile: iPhone 6S > AudioQuest DragonFly Black > JH Audio JH5

I tried again last night to get HQP to play DSD128 through my Mytek DAC.

Are you using USB to Mytek? Do you have latest Mytek firmware, or at least 1.7.6? I'm not sure if DSD128 works on Mac through the USB. But I have iMac -> Thunderbolt -> Firewire -> Mytek running at DSD128. I never got Mytek working correctly with the USB3 ports of iMac, and I've been very happy with the Firewire connectivity.

You could try with the same way as the Firewire works, by setting the "2wire" checkbox in HQPlayer settings. Note that PCM output mode doesn't function correctly in this mode and needs to be disabled for PCM output mode to function correctly.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

mytek settings HQP.jpg

The above are my settings withRoon/HQP with the Mytek 102 DSD running through a SOtM SMS-100 as an NAA. The SMS-100 will only do DSD64.

Below are my settings with Roon/HQP if I connect my server directly to the Mytek over USB - no NAA and set to playback 128 DSD. (w/latest Mytek USB drivers, firmware 1.81, not 1.83)

mytek settings 128 HQP.jpg

This also works.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Are you using USB to Mytek? Do you have latest Mytek firmware, or at least 1.7.6? I'm not sure if DSD128 works on Mac through the USB. But I have iMac -> Thunderbolt -> Firewire -> Mytek running at DSD128. I never got Mytek working correctly with the USB3 ports of iMac, and I've been very happy with the Firewire connectivity.

You could try with the same way as the Firewire works, by setting the "2wire" checkbox in HQPlayer settings. Note that PCM output mode doesn't function correctly in this mode and needs to be disabled for PCM output mode to function correctly.

AFAIK, Mytek 192 to MAC USB DSD 128 has issues. At one point, a year or two ago, it wasn't supported at all. I'm not sure if it is now or not, and if so, how well it works. Has there been a recent FW driver update?

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

Thanks, Miska. I'd been trying with USB (up-to-date firmware) — FWIW, Audirvana shows DSD128 being available on the Mytek when I'm using the USB driver.

I'll try FireWire when I get home this evening. I didn't know that the 2wire checkbox pertained to FireWire. When you say that "PCM output mode doesn't function correctly in this mode," does that mean I can leave "2wire" checked as long as I'm converting everything to DSD?

I am really enjoying the results of all your hard work.

--David

Listening Room: Mac mini (Roon Core) > iMac (HQP) > exaSound PlayPoint (as NAA) > exaSound e32 > W4S STP-SE > Benchmark AHB2 > Wilson Sophia Series 2 (Details)

No idea what it does/how it works ;)...but I'll give it a whirl.

Thanks Kschac!

Just saw your post, so never mind what is below...

What you are describing may be a MacMini problem -- if no monitor is plugged in, you get terrible performance. To ensure smooth video performance, you need to plug something like this into the video port:

NewerTech 8-inch Headless Mac Video Accelerator in stock at OWC

Robot Check

I have a MacMini headless setup, which I control through Roon on a MacBook Pro (with Roon Server running on the Mac Mini). But for setting HQ Player or otherwise running programs on the Mac Mini, I use screen sharing with the second device plugged into the video port and I have no problem with HQ Player.

Ryzen 7 2700 PC Server, NUC7CJYH w. 4G Apacer RAM as Renderer/LPS 1.2 - IsoRegen/LPS-1/.2 - Singxer SU-1/LPS1.2 - Holo Spring Level 3 DAC - LTA MicroZOTL MZ2 - Modwright KWA 150 Signature Amp - Tidal Audio Piano's.  

It works!!!!!! Music plays, and the Mytek display says "HDSD" (which I've never seen before). I can use my filter of choice (poly-sinc-short-mp), and things are sounding great. ¡¡¡Muchas gracias!!!

--David

Roon v1.1 (Build 94) Release Notes

Major Fixes and Improvements

A number of bugs reported by members have also been addressed, including:

• Resolved an issue that was causing us to repeatedly sync with TIDAL. This was causing crashes in some cases, as well as causing delays when adding TIDAL content to your library
  • Focus button crashes have been resolved
  • Removed certain unneeded files that were causing false positives from anti-virus software
  • Roon ignores certain corrupt MP3 files on mac
  • Fixes for some HQPlayer stop/disconnect issue
  • Fix for an issue affecting Squeezebox playback when network isn't keeping up
  • Fix for an issue affecting Squeezebox playback with very short tracks
  • Lyrics formatting issues resolved

Gonna test it out tonight and see if that fixes the disconnections! If it does the setup is close to perfect.

Additional feature of new build that will interest some users: The Roon Android app now works on tablets with Intel based processors - a new feature.

I've tried it - it works great and looks great, too.

I'm posting here cuz the issues I am about to discuss seem to be HQP rather than Roon, but who knows. If Jussi or others think this is more Roon-related, I will double post on Roon Community's thread (I hate to double post).

In my setup:

HQP and Roonserver (build 94) on Zuma-sized i7 3770S WS2012 R2 with AO

NAA on Carbon-sized WS2012 R1 with AO

Upsampling all PCM and DSD to 256 (44k and 48k based) via Fore Audio Daisy1 (amanero)

Roon remote is either Windows desktop (for testing) or Android 4.4 (8" cheap android tablet during listening).

I am finding that often when I change from PCM material to DSD, or vice versa, I get not only a disconnect from Roon (although no Roon warning message) but also very often have my NAA networkaud close (HQP settings showing no driver in network audio pulldown is hint). I keep RDC available on ipad to watch both pcs, and sure enough the NAA pc's networkaud command window is closed. Even when NAA doesn't crash I often get no response via Roon until I restart HQP on Zuma. This seems to have been exacerbated since build 94, but don't quote me.

I am finding that often when I change from PCM material to DSD, or vice versa, I get not only a disconnect from Roon (although no Roon warning message) but also very often have my NAA networkaud close (HQP settings showing no driver in network audio pulldown is hint). I keep RDC available on ipad to watch both pcs, and sure enough the NAA pc's networkaud command window is closed. Even when NAA doesn't crash I often get no response via Roon until I restart HQP on Zuma. This seems to have been exacerbated since build 94, but don't quote me.

I could understand this a bit more, if you'd have DirectSDM enabled, but from your description it sounds like you don't. If you upsample everything to DSD256 then NAA shouldn't know anything about source content switches.

If networkaudiod closes then it is due to some crash/error there. For such case it would be good if you can open normal command prompt (cmd.exe) and then run networkaudiod from there. This way when such happens it just returns to the command prompt and you can still see the last messages it has printed out...

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

Sorry ti report that the stop/disconnect issue is not solved for me. When Roon is in radio mode it usually plays for a while but if I add a song to the queue or change song it just stops playing.

I have Roon core on iMac, sms-100 as NAA, Roon Remote on iPad pro.

So far all the rest is perfect. Please fix this issue that prevents me to enjoy my music listening experience!

« Information is not knowledge / Knowledge is not wisdom / Wisdom is not truth / Truth is not beauty / Beauty is not love / Love is not music / MUSIC IS THE BEST. » FZ

Sorry ti report that the stop/disconnect issue is not solved for me. When Roon is in radio mode it usually plays for a while but if I add a song to the queue or change song it just stops playing.

I have Roon core on iMac, sms-100 as NAA, Roon Remote on iPad pro.

So far all the rest is perfect. Please fix this issue that prevents me to enjoy my music listening experience!

Hello simone,

Neither is it solved for me with 1.1.94. While testing a new Curious Regen Link 200mm to replace UpTone Audio's hard adapter between Regen and my W4S Dac2 DSDse, I launched HQPlayer, the roon, then Art Pepper Meets The Rythmn Section Acoustic Sound DL, DSD64, the excellent rendition played 3 tracks followed by silence. I chose to highlight the track and click on play from here. One or two tracks played followed by silence. Repeated the same routine. Three times in all before roon/HQPlayer played through to the last track. I was dismayed.

For whatever reason, the radio part of roon, continued to select, as if a Playlist was initiated, similar tracks throughout my music library. I have a huge Jazz selection, and I thoroughly enjoyed how roon selected from that collection and for about a good hour, NOT one disconnect.

I decided to stop the radio Playlist, and selected a Kurt Elling redbook CD rip by XLD to AIFF which played without one disconnect. The the Beatles Help! album again to the last track without one disconnect.

Difficult for me to understand what triggered the first three disconnects, that was easy to recover from, but as you rightly characterize detracts from the enjoyment of my music. Haven't a clue what allowed for continuous play via Radio (on its own) for a good hour, followed by my selecting albums and playing them partially or in their entirety without any disconnects.

I, too, would wish that roon/HQPlayer would solve the disconnect now it happens now it doesn't. I am only posting at this thread to support and share with you our experience and how we both feel about it. I didn't post at the roon community, yet. But I believe I should. So I will.

With this hobby, we must experience the good with the not so good, provide feedback and hope that those who gave us this excellent integration advantage can eliminate the interstial disconnects that happen randomly and then not at all.

BTW: roon/HQPlayer despite the disconnects and following the commencement of the radio playlist like experience up sampled to DSD128 after the conclusion of the Art Pepper DSD64 album without missing a beat. Nada. Just non-stop excellent sounding playback. Thoroughly enjoyable. What a mixed bag of experiences but also a highly enjoyable mix of experiences for the most part.

Best,

Richard

They've weighed in on this over at the Roon Community and have said they are working on some new solutions with Jussi. Many (not all) of the problems seem to be connected to manual manipulation/changes to the playlist. Anyway, these solutions are being tested by Alpha testers of the next Roon version. Before too long there should soon be an updated version that will improve the "disconnect" issue when outputting to HQP.

see the end of the thread:

https://community.roonlabs.com/t/build-94-hq-player-connection-problems/6898/36

They've weighed in on this over at the Roon Community and have said they are working on some new solutions with Jussi. Many (not all) of the problems seem to be connected to manual manipulation/changes to the playlist. Anyway, these solutions are being tested by Alpha testers of the next Roon version. Before too long there should soon be an updated version that will improve the "disconnect" issue when outputting to HQP.

see the end of the thread:

https://community.roonlabs.com/t/build-94-hq-player-connection-problems/6898/36

Yes, I am also aware of what you address as I regularly visit Roon's community. And thank you for referring to the outcomes for addressing this distressing anomaly that pops up in various uses of roon aside from playlist manipulations based on my own experience. And for the link so that others may follow along.

Best,

Richard

Glad to hear, same issue with me with lost HQ path. Most of the time, all I do is hit the disconnect and then hit play again and that typ. works at least for me.

Glad to hear, same issue with me with lost HQ path. Most of the time, all I do is hit the disconnect and then hit play again and that typ. works at least for me.

Yes, recovering isn't the issue. It's having to that's the issue and the rub. It's a work in progress. So I cut them slack while they sort it out. Gratitude and mercy are suite mates of a sort. (Smile).

Disconnecting while I wish you well and enjoy the music,

Richard

I strongly believe they will come up with an update very soon that will solve the issue.

Simone

« Information is not knowledge / Knowledge is not wisdom / Wisdom is not truth / Truth is not beauty / Beauty is not love / Love is not music / MUSIC IS THE BEST. » FZ