IGNORED

Roon / HQPlayer Integration

Same here. The regular poly-sinc filter works fine, as do various sampling rates that were giving me problems before.

I still have occasional problems switching among different albums/tracks. I have to hit the volume control disconnection button to get things going again sometimes.

Same issues here but it's OKish...

MacBook Pro + Roon > Airport Extreme > microRendu + mbps-d2s > Auralic Vega > McIntosh MC275 > Yamaha NS-2000

Wired with: High Fidelity CT-1 Enhanced RCA, Revelation Audio Labs, Fadel Art Coherence PC

Same here. The regular poly-sinc filter works fine, as do various sampling rates that were giving me problems before.

I still have occasional problems switching among different albums/tracks. I have to hit the volume control disconnection button to get things going again sometimes.

Where is this "volume control disconnection button"

I don't see it.

Thanks

Early days, but it appears that the release version of HQP 3.12 has eliminated the stuttering with on-the-fly PCM -> DSD conversions in my system. I'm able to use HQP's poly-sinc-short-mp filter. Things are sounding really great.

--David

Listening Room: Mac mini (Roon Core) > iMac (HQP) > exaSound PlayPoint (as NAA) > exaSound e32 > W4S STP-SE > Benchmark AHB2 > Wilson Sophia Series 2 (Details)

Office: Mac Pro >  AudioQuest DragonFly Red > JBL LSR305

Mobile: iPhone 6S > AudioQuest DragonFly Black > JH Audio JH5

So you just open and close that to make it work when you have issues switching albums?

Interestingly if I use a computer to open Roon I see what you show. On my iPad it shows volume at 0

Thanks

No, I open that dialog than click that icon and everything stops then I can hit the play bttn again.

Nothing interesting actually) that's because the Roon team hasn't updated the app yet)

MacBook Pro + Roon > Airport Extreme > microRendu + mbps-d2s > Auralic Vega > McIntosh MC275 > Yamaha NS-2000

Wired with: High Fidelity CT-1 Enhanced RCA, Revelation Audio Labs, Fadel Art Coherence PC

Early days, but it appears that the release version of HQP 3.12 has eliminated the stuttering with on-the-fly PCM -> DSD conversions in my system. I'm able to use HQP's poly-sinc-short-mp filter. Things are sounding really great.

--David

Yeah! Plays just fine and sounds great. But I've discovered that filter called poly-sinc-ext which I really liked during one song. And then I've tried to play another one and the HQPlayer was against. The Roon say that something wrong with the output application (HQP) so I've never been able to listen that filter again...just doesn't work. The others are fine on the other hand)

No, I open that dialog than click that icon and everything stops then I can hit the play bttn again.

Nothing interesting actually) that's because the Roon team hasn't updated the app yet)

Again thanks. Your answer explains where I am running into issues.

Now I have to go through the iterations of HQPlayer to find what sounds best. Just when I thought "I was happy" THEY have to come out with Roon + HQPlayer integration

The good news is I do have it all up and running with Roon Server and HQPlayer on my "high end" powerful desktop streaming to my Audiophilized CAPS 3 running NAA.

Yeah! Plays just fine and sounds great. But I've discovered that filter called poly-sinc-ext which I really liked during one song. And then I've tried to play another one and the HQPlayer was against. The Roon say that something wrong with the output application (HQP) so I've never been able to listen that filter again...just doesn't work. The others are fine on the other hand)

Whenever track changes, HQPlayer checks whether the requested settings are possible with the new track. If the requested combination of filter and output rate is not possible, playback stops or refuses to start. Other poly-sinc filters except poly-sinc-ext can do practically any conversion ratio. But poly-sinc-ext is on purpose limited to simple multiples of the source rate.

So in case for example you first have a track at 44.1k and select 5.6 MHz output rate and then later choose a 48k track, playback will stop until 6.1 MHz output rate is selected because poly-sinc-ext cannot do 48k to 5.6 MHz.

With the remote control API Roon is using, it could manage this situation by stopping the HQPlayer playback and switching output rate (if available) and then resume playback. But for example some DSD capable DAC drivers cannot do 48k-base DSD on Windows (while it may work on Linux like iFi products, or not work at all like Marantz due to DAC firmware limitations), so you may be out of luck with such combinations.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

Whenever track changes, HQPlayer checks whether the requested settings are possible with the new track. If the requested combination of filter and output rate is not possible, playback stops or refuses to start. Other poly-sinc filters except poly-sinc-ext can do practically any conversion ratio. But poly-sinc-ext is on purpose limited to simple multiples of the source rate.

So in case for example you first have a track at 44.1k and select 5.6 MHz output rate and then later choose a 48k track, playback will stop until 6.1 MHz output rate is selected because poly-sinc-ext cannot do 48k to 5.6 MHz.

With the remote control API Roon is using, it could manage this situation by stopping the HQPlayer playback and switching output rate (if available) and then resume playback. But for example some DSD capable DAC drivers cannot do 48k-base DSD on Windows (while it may work on Linux like iFi products, or not work at all like Marantz due to DAC firmware limitations), so you may be out of luck with such combinations.

Although I understand your answer, it suggests that it would be desirable to have an HQP setting that basically says given the filter choices I have made, upsample to the maximum extent possible and if upsampling is not possible then apply my chosen filter settings to the existing sample rate.

Another way to approach it would be to allow us to set and save rules that would say "when I play a 24/48 file do this ... and when I play a 24/192 file do this and when I play a DSD64 do this. That way all of our files would play, even if there was a slight lag time whenever there was a format change to allow the player to adjust settings.

Perhaps that is much much harder to do than to say, so forgve me if I am asking for the impossible.

Synology NAS>i7-6700/32GB/NVIDIA QUADRO P4000 Win10>Qobuz+Tidal>Roon>HQPlayer>DSD512> Fiber Switch>Ultrarendu (NAA)>Holo Audio May KTE DAC> Bryston SP3 pre>Levinson No. 432 amps>Magnepan (MG20.1x2, CCR and MMC2x6)

Can not play native DSD files with Roon through Hqplayer.If I try to play DSD file get no sound and the time bar goes from one second to end of song instantly,also switches to a different album.At this point I have to quit Roon and restart as even my Flac files will not play

Did you work it out?I have the same problem with dsd.

Roon and HQP is working with conversion to DSD. I can also play any PCM up-sampled to 352.8 or 384 with no issues. I can play PCM -> DSD or DSD natively. I got things working first on one machine (Roon & HQP). Now I have my Roon Core setup (Win10) and my HQP PC setup (2012R2 in Core Mode) which is connected to my DAC.

Playing entire albums has no issues so far.

To play individual songs.

I was having issues when changing sample rates of songs, but changed my sampler in HQP. I was using Closed-Form -> DSD7 -> DSD but 96 and 192 would not play. Changing to Poly-Sinc-shrt-mp handles everything.

If I want to hear another song when the current song has not finished:

I first hit PAUSE, then select the next song.

If I just choose the next song to play without a PAUSE, it takes 15-30 secs for the current song to stop playing, then the next song starts.

I do get the occasional disconnects, but since I am on iOS, cannot use the new feature. So I just go to my RDP session and restart HQP with my cmd file I created.

Sure is nice for HQP to have a great front end to it!!!! Excellent work for a first release Roon and HQP staff. Look forward to improvements in the future.

I continue to be favorably impressed with the dedication of roon and Jussi Laako's integration and performance output. For the first time, I started play of The Beatles' catalogue via TIDAL HIFI specifically, the "1" album, with HQPlayer set to upsample to DSD128. Voila! Play began instantly without a hitch or impediment. Tracks play sequentially without any issues.

Marvelous!

Thank you roon/Jussi.

Enjoying the music,

Richard

Unfortunately, my poly-sinc filters are still not working with this latest release; they were perfect before 3.12... :(

Mentioned this in the HQPlayer thread.

Ok, just tested this version and now it works fine even with the clean poly-sinc filter.

Metrum Onyx DAC, Matrix X-SPDIF2 DDC, Snake River Boomslang Digital cable, Verastarr Nemesis USB cable;

Backert Rhumba 1.2 Preamp; Coincident M300B Frankenstein mkII SET monoblocks

Omega Super Alnico HO Monitors (Cherry finish) / Martin Logan Depth i Subwoofer

Macbook Pro (mid-2012, 2.3GHz i7, 16Gb RAM, 512Gb SSD), HQPlayer, Tidal, Roon;

Cabling by Cerious Tech (Graphene SC, Blue PCs), Verastarr (IC and PC) and Teo Audio (GC IC)

As suggested, here is a separate thread for Roon HQP integration discussions.

Chris,

I am at the final stages of doing my research to build a server on which to run Roon Server/HQPlayer. I was planning to use a Linux OS but may opt for Windows Server 2012 R2 if the Roon Linux version is delayed. I am strongly leaning toward building a C.A.P.S. Cortes headless server. Since you are running a Cortes server, have you tried running Roon Server/HQPlayer on it and if you have do you have any recommendations or advice? Also, would you make any changes at this point to the Cortes hardware if you were to build one at this point in time?

Richard,

You have helped me out in the past with your in depth knowledge of Amarra Symphony with iRC... now I require your help once again!

How did you get to upsample the Beatles '1' to DSD 128?

Can you give me a screenshot?

I can't go from a 16/44 to DSD album without changing the Preferences settings... is this normal?

merci

Bernard

You two men go that way...

QNAP TS-131P->2019 Mac Mini-> -> dCS BArtok  -> balanced XLR -> Nagra MPA ->Shunyata Research cables and Hydra 6 -> Acapella La Campanella 2 horn speakers and REL R-328 SubBase. HiFi Rack Reference audio stand.

Although I understand your answer, it suggests that it would be desirable to have an HQP setting that basically says given the filter choices I have made, upsample to the maximum extent possible and if upsampling is not possible then apply my chosen filter settings to the existing sample rate.

Let's say you have a Marantz HD-DAC1 and have a 96/24 source file. There's no way you can use closed-form filter with that combination for upsampling to DSD, because the DAC (for no good technical reason) refuses to work with 48k-base rates for DSD (3.1/6.1 MHz). You would need to use some other filter.

Another way to approach it would be to allow us to set and save rules that would say "when I play a 24/48 file do this ... and when I play a 24/192 file do this and when I play a DSD64 do this. That way all of our files would play, even if there was a slight lag time whenever there was a format change to allow the player to adjust settings.

This is one possibility, although one would need to understand the rule set that applies for the particular DAC. Now the HQPlayer main window guides this through for the current source format, but naturally cannot do it exhaustively for all possible combinatios.

HQPlayer doesn't have bounded set of source and output formats. You can have source file that has 123456 Hz sampling rate, or any other arbitrary rate. That, combined with similar set of output formats makes the configuration space unbounded and have almost infinite number of possibilities.

Perhaps that is much much harder to do than to say, so forgve me if I am asking for the impossible.

With software, almost nothing is impossible. Some things may need more effort than others, and some things may be more practical than others though.

External control interfaces/sources like Roon can also implement something like what you are asking. If they like to.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

With software, almost nothing is impossible. Some things may need more effort than others, and some things may be more practical than others though.

External control interfaces/sources like Roon can also implement something like what you are asking. If they like to.

Thank you Miska: I would guess that I am not unusual among the more active posters here in that I have music of many sample rates and both PCM and DSD files (I typically look for the closest to original format of the recordings I like). As a result, I have a lot of 16/44, a little 24/48, and a fair amount of 24/96 and 24/192 and little 24/176. I also have a lot of DSD64 and some each of DSD128 and DSD256. So, I would need to construct 7 rules (one for each input format). Being able to save those rules and chose the applicable rule just before playing a piece is obviously preferable to having to remember the HQPlayer settings for each format and manually reset them for each piece. Being able to set universal rules so that HQPlayer looks at the input format, picks up the applicable rule and resets itself to that rule before playing the piece would be even better.

I understand that both you and the Roon team might be able to implement that, if there were enough interest here. I for one would vote strongly for that capability (even if it mean an additional charge for that version of HQPlayer or Roon, as applicable).

I don't know how others here feel? Comments?

Synology NAS>i7-6700/32GB/NVIDIA QUADRO P4000 Win10>Qobuz+Tidal>Roon>HQPlayer>DSD512> Fiber Switch>Ultrarendu (NAA)>Holo Audio May KTE DAC> Bryston SP3 pre>Levinson No. 432 amps>Magnepan (MG20.1x2, CCR and MMC2x6)

I like the idea of a pretty front end with Roon and using a control point like an ipad or an android tablet, while using a great sound engine with HQPlayer.

The problem is that my antique (Gen 4 2012 model) ipad retina won't work with Roon, and only selected android tablets which I also don't own. So apart from the $119/year for Roon, there's also an Ipad air 2 to buy $499 and throw out the old retina ipad which works perfectly fine for everything else.

I'll save the $618 for a future computer audio device and continue to enjoy HQPlayer on a VNC basis from the antique retina ipad or MBP.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

I like the idea of a pretty front end with Roon and using a control point like an ipad or an android tablet, while using a great sound engine with HQPlayer.

The problem is that my antique (Gen 4 2012 model) ipad retina won't work with Roon, and only selected android tablets which I also don't own. So apart from the $119/year for Roon, there's also an Ipad air 2 to buy $499 and throw out the old retina ipad which works perfectly fine for everything else.

I'll save the $618 for a future computer audio device and continue to enjoy HQPlayer on a VNC basis from the antique retina ipad or MBP.

Somehow I agree with you.

I plan to hack my Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10" with a newer unofficial kernel, then report.

Somehow I agree with you.

I plan to hack my Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10" with a newer unofficial kernel, then report.

Don't forget that until further developments occur, Roon only runs on Android tablets running ARM chips. I don't know your tablet, but if it is an Intel chip, Roon won't run on it.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)