IGNORED

Roon / HQPlayer Integration

It would appear the HQP setting that determines this -3 "on or off" functionality is the the DSF setting. If it is turned off, the -3 shows up and volume control is possible via speaker icon

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile

Actually that number is the volume level in the HQP. If you manually adjust the volume knob in HQP you will see the number change in Roon. In HQP settings you can set the max and min volume.

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

Hi

I have just started using Roon/HQP (with a Lampi Superkomputer) and I am periodically (about once every one or two hours) losing my music with the Roon screen showing "Lost Connection...Trying to reconnect". It then reconnects about 5 or 10 seconds later.

Does anyone know what is going on please

Philip

Hi

I have just started using Roon/HQP (with a Lampi Superkomputer) and I am periodically (about once every one or two hours) losing my music with the Roon screen showing "Lost Connection...Trying to reconnect". It then reconnects about 5 or 10 seconds later.

Does anyone know what is going on please

Philip

Are you also using an NAA? It happens to me once every day or two. AFAIK, some kind of network issue involving HQP and the NAA. Generally solved by restarts - usually software, occasionally it means I have to restart either the router or the server.

I've also found that it can happen when using the 'radio" function in Roon or with mixed playlists. If the items in the playlist are in different formats, HQP doesn't "switch over" fast enough when songs switch, and this causes a lost crash/lost connection issue with HQP.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

No. All my music files are on the Lampi Superkomputer. The SK is attached to my router by cable, but of course that is necessary for Roon to get info. It also has Wifi switched on in case the cable was playing up, but that made no improvement.

Are you saying Roon is having issues playing music? Are you seeing the trying to reconnect error from the remote app?

You mentioned music is stored on the same computer that Roon and HQP is installed on?

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

Yes, my music files, Roon and HQP are all on the Lampi Superkomputer, The SK is the Roon Core, and I am controlling it remotely from a MacBook Air.

And every hour or two the music stops and a Roon page appears saying "Lost connection". I'm assuming this means the connection between Roon and HQP, but since they are in the same computer it seems odd.

Actually that number is the volume level in the HQP. If you manually adjust the volume knob in HQP you will see the number change in Roon. In HQP settings you can set the max and min volume.

I understand that and maybe I'm not explaining the observation properly- I don't want volume control (in software) and previously I had never seen the -3.

When you would select he speaker icon it would state "volume is fixed" and no adjustment was available. With the DSF setting on/off it changes the speaker icon accordingly. I must have (obviously) changed that setting[emoji6].

I have a preamp and in trying to keep the signal flow untouched as possible I got confused when I saw he -3 (e.g something was messing with the volume)

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile

My rig

And just to add insult to injury, I have rebooted, Roon is trying to play but says it can't find HQ Player!!

In Roon settings, under Audio tab what is the entry for HQP? localhost or an IP address?

Other components:

So, after a couple of days testing:

The integration works fine. Occasionally Roon/HQP loose connection in my system when switching from one song in one album directly to a specific song in another album. It gets played but HQP is mute. What I usually so is switching to a complete different album, playing that from the start, then it works again, and the I switch back to the song I wanted to hear. So it is kinda on/off issue.

Miska advised me not to "touch" the HQP GUI which I do, in fact, also tried with controlling Roon purely from iPad/Iphone instead of Mac Mini remote desktop control through a Macbook, it still happens but I can't reproduce it, it is frequent.

I think this should be managed so it works because it can be annoying at times.

Other than that I think it is great and I am close to sign roon.

Chris

Software > Roon Server & HQ Player4 on Windows 2019/AO & MacMini MMK (plus Audirvana 3.5)  > Netgear GS105EV2 > Meicord Opal > Naim NDX 2 > Naim SN2 + Lyngdorf CD-2 + Rega RP8/Aria >  > Harbeth SHL5 plus

The integration works fine. Occasionally Roon/HQP loose connection in my system when switching from one song in one album directly to a specific song in another album. It gets played but HQP is mute. What I usually so is switching to a complete different album, playing that from the start, then it works again, and the I switch back to the song I wanted to hear. So it is kinda on/off issue.

Miska advised me not to "touch" the HQP GUI which I do, in fact, also tried with controlling Roon purely from iPad/Iphone instead of Mac Mini remote desktop control through a Macbook, it still happens but I can't reproduce it, it is frequent.

I think this should be managed so it works because it can be annoying at times.

I hope all the remaining random infrequent failures is fixed by HQPlayer 3.15 + Roon 1.3...

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

Is sending Roon to HQPlayer Embedded still a possibility for the future? Saw a mention from a while back on the roon forums. Idle curiosity here, I realize it's a very niche sort of thing :) BubbleUP working great with the new Android tablet but I dove in with Roon anyway, just enjoying testing all the various options.

Is sending Roon to HQPlayer Embedded still a possibility for the future? Saw a mention from a while back on the roon forums. Idle curiosity here, I realize it's a very niche sort of thing :) BubbleUP working great with the new Android tablet but I dove in with Roon anyway, just enjoying testing all the various options.

Yes, should work fine with HQPlayer Embedded 4.x + Roon 1.3...

• 3 weeks later...

As promised it does indeed work, very cool. I gather rygel is not needed for this. Well, I didn't install it and it's working so :)

Anyone else running Roon 1.3 to HQPlayer Embedded 4.x? I'm idly curious if you also see a mis-identification of filter/modulator in the Roon UI. I set the modulator based on my config for HQPlayer Desktop. HQplayerd.log (along with my ears and the cpu usage %) tells me I'm in fact running

Oversampling: min phase poly (light)
Modulator: adaptive seventh order 1-bit

but Roon's signal path says poly-sinc-mqa-mp / DSD7 256+fs.

Overall I'm just thrilled it works so well. Had a few wrinkles with Roon 1.3 so far but this is clean.

I gather rygel is not needed for this.

No, I made Rygel optional, it is only needed for UPnP support.

Anyone else running Roon 1.3 to HQPlayer Embedded 4.x? I'm idly curious if you also see a mis-identification of filter/modulator in the Roon UI. I set the modulator based on my config for HQPlayer Desktop.

Good catch, I had a bug and was telling wrong information about the filter back to Roon. I've now fixed it and there's a9 build available (with pretty big changes elsewhere too).

I also added preliminary systemd service file for running hqplayerd without Rygel, it expects key and configuration to reside in /etc/hqplayer so the daemon can be started automatically at boot as a background service.

Good catch, I had a bug and was telling wrong information about the filter back to Roon. I've now fixed it and there's a9 build available (with pretty big changes elsewhere too).

I noticed the same thing with HQplayer Windows 3.15. When I have auto set for everything HQplayer tells Roon (and on the HQP main screen too) that the PCM filter and noise shaper is being used, even when DSD is chosen. Says NS4, for example, but DSD is being upsampled with, say, ASDM7.

HQP report.png

P.S. Pic is of multichannel playback but Roon report is same for stereo.

No, I made Rygel optional, it is only needed for UPnP support.

I also added preliminary systemd service file for running hqplayerd without Rygel, it expects key and configuration to reside in /etc/hqplayer so the daemon can be started automatically at boot as a background service.

Updated to a9 and that does indeed work, thank you. Now I can verify the chosen modulator etc with a glance at Roon instead of the log file.

I've been running hqplayerd with success on startup as a --user service but I will definitely look into that. I think something about my current order can prevent logging from starting cleanly. Maybe if I move it from /tmp to the home folder. Restarting the service sorts it at any rate.

Only remaining hitch is playback occasionally stops with 1 second remaining and then fails to advance. I noticed something similar mentioned on the Roon forums though and possibly an impending fix for Build 197, so that could be unrelated.

I noticed the same thing with HQplayer Windows 3.15. When I have auto set for everything HQplayer tells Roon (and on the HQP main screen too) that the PCM filter and noise shaper is being used, even when DSD is chosen. Says NS4, for example, but DSD is being upsampled with, say, ASDM7.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]33127[/ATTACH]

That "Auto" output mode is messy from GUI perspective, but should work better with HQPlayer Embedded + Roon. I don't think that's worth attempting to fix on HQPlayer Desktop 3.x since it needs complete GUI redesign and removing those selections from the main window altogether. That's why I wasn't too fancy about adding the automatic mode switching feature because it leads to inconsistent GUI.

Same with Direct SDM when playing DSD source in SDM output mode vs PCM source...