IGNORED

Roon / HQPlayer Integration

Is it a must that the HQplayer is in the same computer as the roon core so it is only added as localhost? For adding other network HQplayer are they meant only for NAA?

HQPlayer does not need to run on the same computer as Roon Core. In HQP, be sure you have the "Allow control from network" button in the toolbar highlighted. (It's the one that looks like a globe.) Once that's done, you should be able to add that installation of HQP to Roon as a Network Device by entering the (local) IP address of the computer running HQP.

--David

Listening Room: Mac mini (Roon Core) > iMac (HQP) > exaSound PlayPoint (as NAA) > exaSound e32 > W4S STP-SE > Benchmark AHB2 > Wilson Sophia Series 2 (Details)

Office: Mac Pro >  AudioQuest DragonFly Red > JBL LSR305

Mobile: iPhone 6S > AudioQuest DragonFly Black > JH Audio JH5

Clicking the allow network control button also worked for the problem I mentioned above. I must have unclicked it by accident.

Thanks

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Clicking the allow network control button also worked for the problem I mentioned above. I must have unclicked it by accident.

Thanks

Is your Roon server/core on another machine from HQP or are you saying you needed to allow network control even with Roon/HQP local, for the problem to go away? I've had a couple of instances now, with my new HQP build, where HQP loses the NAA (no device drivers shown) while Roonserver is running (local) and unused. Seems to have stopped when I quit Roonserver (using drag and drop for the time being while testing new build so Roonserver is right now not a need).

Can you play to HQP using ASIO or something similar? I was thinking I'd like to keep Roonbridge on my HTPC for the network transport portion but still play from Roonbridge through a local install of HQP on my HTPC.

Roon Rock->Auralic Aria G2->Schiit Yggdrasil A2->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301 Monos->Wilson Audio Sabrinas

I installed Windows 10 via Bootcamp on my Mini. I wanted to try using Win and it's ASIO driver. But I've been using Screenshare via MBP to control Mini. But with Windows loaded, there's no way to control Windows using my MBP?

Also, Windows will find Roon if I read correctly, but I need to buy another license for HQP on this partition?

If anyone knows a link with how to proceed, that'd be great. Thanks for any help!

Ryzen 7 2700 PC Server, NUC7CJYH w. 4G Apacer RAM as Renderer/LPS 1.2 - IsoRegen/LPS-1/.2 - Singxer SU-1/LPS1.2 - Holo Spring Level 3 DAC - LTA MicroZOTL MZ2 - Modwright KWA 150 Signature Amp - Tidal Audio Piano's.  

I installed Windows 10 via Bootcamp on my Mini. I wanted to try using Win and it's ASIO driver. But I've been using Screenshare via MBP to control Mini. But with Windows loaded, there's no way to control Windows using my MBP?

Also, Windows will find Roon if I read correctly, but I need to buy another license for HQP on this partition?

If anyone knows a link with how to proceed, that'd be great. Thanks for any help!

If Windows 10 Professional or Enterprise you need to enable RDP on the Windows 10 box and install the RDP client from Microsoft available in the OSX App store.

Roon Rock->Auralic Aria G2->Schiit Yggdrasil A2->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301 Monos->Wilson Audio Sabrinas

If Windows 10 Professional or Enterprise you need to enable RDP on the Windows 10 box and install the RDP client from Microsoft available in the OSX App store.

No, I bought the Home version. Do I need to upgrade to have this option?

Ryzen 7 2700 PC Server, NUC7CJYH w. 4G Apacer RAM as Renderer/LPS 1.2 - IsoRegen/LPS-1/.2 - Singxer SU-1/LPS1.2 - Holo Spring Level 3 DAC - LTA MicroZOTL MZ2 - Modwright KWA 150 Signature Amp - Tidal Audio Piano's.  

Ugh...of course. Thanks Ted. I'll upgrade and see if I can do this. I may need to hit you up for some online help again ;p

Is your Roon server/core on another machine from HQP or are you saying you needed to allow network control even with Roon/HQP local, for the problem to go away? I've had a couple of instances now, with my new HQP build, where HQP loses the NAA (no device drivers shown) while Roonserver is running (local) and unused. Seems to have stopped when I quit Roonserver (using drag and drop for the time being while testing new build so Roonserver is right now not a need).

Just getting back to this, as it turns out the "allow network control" isn't the issue.

I'm simply losing connection to the NAA at random intervals - sometimes after one minute, sometimes after a few hours. I'm getting the "lost control of endpoint" message in Roon, and the only way I seem to be able to restore the connection is by rebooting the NAA, which is a time consuming and annoying process in my setup (as that requires me to also shut down the Mytek and the amp).

I'm not seeing any pattern or cause to the loss of connection to the NAA. It may be somehow connected to no signal coming from Roon, but today it happened between songs while playing an album. It's become enough of an issue that I've stopped using the NAA device for now.

In answer to your question, my RoonServer core and HQP desktop are on the same server.

Before the Roon 1.2 update I had an absolutely rock stable connection - with all the same hardware.

Hopefully this will get figured out soon, as I just ordered a microRendu, and would much prefer using it as an NAA, and not just as a Roon endpoint. :)

Thanks for your help.

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

Try VNC or Team viewer before upgrading, they are free and make lighter use of processor and memory resources.

+1

Plus there is Splashtop.

Ambassador for Sound Galleries Monaco and Taiko Audio The Netherlands 

Sound Test USA

[email protected]

Sound Galleries SGM 2015 Music Server>ROON-all rates up-sampled to DSD512 by HQ Player>Sablon Reserva 2017 USB>T+A DAC 8 DSD>Merrill Audio Veritas Ncore NC1200 Mono Amps>B&W 802D>High Fidelity Cables Interconnect, Speaker & Power Cords for Amps & SGM & T+A>Power Conditioning High Fidelity MC-6 Hemisphere>T+A & Hemisphere supported by Stillpoints Ultra Mini - B&W 802D & Veritas supported by Stillpoints Ultra SS>All sitting on IKEA Aptitlig bamboo butcher blocks - Taiko Audio Setchi active grounding on SGM & T+A

• 3 weeks later...

Just noticed that if you select "Time Remain" in HQP then the timer in Roon does not work nor does it report the correct track. Not really a problem or a bug just an observation.

When I ran HQP only, I would generally use "Time Remain" option so I knew how time as left on the album being played.

• 4 months later...
Hi, currently enjoying HQPlayer upsampling to 2xDSD on my new 13" MacBook Air i5 8 gigs RAM with great results. Wondering whether adding Roon core ouputting to HQP on the same machine will be too much for the CPU. Any advice?

What percent of CPU is HQplayer using in activity monitor when you are upsampling to DSD128? The main thing is that Roon likes its database to be on a SSD (music files can be elsewhere)...which your Air will have...so it shouldn't be a problem assuming you are not maxing out your CPU (20%) doing the upsampling. At one point I was upsampling to DSD128 with HQplayer and roon with a macmini 2012 with a 2.3 i7 SSD and it handled it easily.

Now I do roon on a separate machine because I sometimes use the same roon machine to run two different machines doing HQplayer upsampling (to DSD256) at the same time...thus I'm running two different music systems simultaneously playing different music from the same roon library. That all works great too.The macmini 2012 continues to run the roon core. Using roon is a definite improvement for file handling with HQplayer.

You might also ask this question over at the roon community.

Robert

Software: Roon/HQplayer; System I: Roon Server/HQplayer DSD 512 Upsampling, Custom Windows 10 PC/AO, LPS-1 powered Startech USB card; LPS-1 powered ISO Regen; Holo Cyan DAC; VPI Scout 2 Turntable, Soundsmith Boheme, TTW Clamps and Carbon Matt; Cary SLP-98P Preamp; Van Alstine FET 600 Poweramp;  Aerial Acoustics 6T loudspeakers, SVS SB13 Ultra Subwoofers. System II: Custom PC with Signalyst Linux HQplayer NAA; LPS-1 powered Startech USB card; LPS-1 powered ISO Regen; IFI Micro iDSD Black Label; Primaluna Dialogue 2 with Tung Sol KT-150; Paradigm Studio 20 v3 monitors on Custom Mapleshade stands. Cables: Moon Audio, LUSH, Kimber Kable, Mapleshade, LARRY custom.

• 3 weeks later...
Since installing 1.2, if I pause playback in Roon for more than a few minutes, Roon loses connection with HQP and HQP loses the connection to the NAA (the NAA stops showing up in the "device" box in HQP settings).

Roon itself is still connected to the network, as is the NAA.(I can see both in browser/network interfaces).

The DAC still shows it is connected to the NAA device, but there isn't a connection for playback. As I said, the NAA stops showing up as a "device" in HQP. This didn't happen before 1.2.

Just rebooting Roon or HQP - or both - doesn't help.

The only workaround is to reboot the NAA device itself.

I'm running RoonServer and HQP Desktop on Win10, and the NAA is an SMS-100 (Sonic Orbiter OS).

The software is all up to date.

Anyone else experience something like this?

BTW, also submitted this at Roon forum.

Do you still have this problem ?

I have the same, and I suspect it is NAA SW that can't re-establish connection.

Miska has so far not given any explaination why a reboot seems to be the only solution.

I've asked if he or others can test / simulate powerloss or network loss in order to confirm that the NAA SW does not recover if a short (non detectable) error occor.

I don't even know if some sort of hw error causes this, but at least if several does the same tests, like power off and on their NAA, we can at least know if all or only some get the same result/error.

If I understand Miska correctly, he stats connection should re-establish itself.

My posts are in another thread I think.

Do you still have this problem ?

I have the same, and I suspect it is NAA SW that can't re-establish connection.

Miska has so far not given any explaination why a reboot seems to be the only solution.

I've asked if he or others can test / simulate powerloss or network loss in order to confirm that the NAA SW does not recover if a short (non detectable) error occor.

I don't even know if some sort of hw error causes this, but at least if several does the same tests, like power off and on their NAA, we can at least know if all or only some get the same result/error.

If I understand Miska correctly, he stats connection should re-establish itself.

My posts are in another thread I think.

No, in the new versions of software I don't have the problem.

• 2 months later...
I am using a Windows 10 PC as NAA 3.4.2. I also found the NAA application just quit without a sign. I have to start NAA manually again or reboot the PC. It happened when I switched songs frequently.

You could start it from command prompt, then you would have window left open if it terminates and possibly some message hinting towards the cause. Also HQPlayer log could tell something.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

You could start it from command prompt, then you would have window left open if it terminates and possibly some message hinting towards the cause. Also HQPlayer log could tell something.

Thanks Miska. It is not a big issue by now. It only happens once for a few hours. I will open the log and find the hints. Merry Christmas!

• 3 weeks later...

I'm trying to understand the volume "icon" in ROON. I'm using a headless wkst running ROON server and HQP and a mini as the NAA.

While in the ROON controller playing music, the volume icon on bottom right of ROON used to show the default "speaker". If you clicked the speaker, ROON would say volume is fixed. I notice now that it has a "-3" and when I click the speaker I get the following.

I looked at the audio settings in ROON and they appear normal (not much to set anyway). Not sure what changed

Any ideas what this means?

hqp vol.JPG

hqp vol2.JPG

My rig

I'm trying to understand the volume "icon" in ROON. I'm using a headless wkst running ROON server and HQP and a mini as the NAA.

While in the ROON controller playing music, the volume icon on bottom right of ROON used to show the default "speaker". If you clicked the speaker, ROON would say volume is fixed. I notice now that it has a "-3" and when I click the speaker I get the following.

I looked at the audio settings in ROON and they appear normal (not much to set anyway). Not sure what changed

Any ideas what this means?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]32275[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]32276[/ATTACH]

That -3db is coming from HQP. Check your settings there.

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

That -3db is coming from HQP. Check your settings there.

That's what I figured and the -3 is is a setting in HQP (default) but nothing has changed that I know of. It wasn't like that previously and you weren't able to chg the volume from the speaker icon as it would state "volume is fixed"

Not sure what setting would enable/disable that

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile

My rig