IGNORED

Roon / HQPlayer Integration

Ed,

Very interesting. In my case, using an iMac running Bootcamped Win10, it helped substantially. On a tricked out PC, I can easily believe it may be better to run on one box.

PS Audio P5 Power Plant>HQ Player Mac Book Pro BootCamp Win10>NAA Mac Mini BootCamp Win 10>REGEN Green>REGEN Amber>IFI iDSD Micro>BHSE>Stax SR-009

After throwing about 9 kilograms of power supply components into our music server, we get better sound quality results with a one PC system, than we have be able to get on the best 2 PC setup we tried. So at the bleeding edge of reducing electrical noise in audio PC's, we have found it's actually cheaper and more effective to go with one PC than two.

It's hard to explain why, we only have several speculative theories

How was the link between the 2 PC connection done?

Dedicated Line DSD/DXD | Audirvana+ | iFi iDSD Nano | SET Tube Amp | Totem Mites

Surround: VLC | M-Audio FastTrack Pro | Mac Opt | Panasonic SA-HE100 | Logitech Z623

DIY: SET Tube Amp | Low-Noise Linear Regulated Power Supply | USB, Power, Speaker Cables | Speaker Stands | Acoustic Panels

How was the link between the 2 PC connection done?

Several ways including

Copper Ethernet > FMC with LPS > Fibre > FMC with LPS > Copper Ethernet

Our Mojo is not running so good with Ethernet any more :-(

At the end of the day its the sound of the total system that counts, there are so many ways to skin the cat

There are great NAA based solutions out there too, and a year ago we had some too :-)

Sound Test, Monaco

Consultant to Sound Galleries Monaco, and Taiko Audio Holland

e-mail [email protected]

Several ways including

Copper Ethernet > FMC with LPS > Fibre > FMC with LPS > Copper Ethernet

Our Mojo is not running so good with Ethernet any more :-(

At the end of the day its the sound of the total system that counts, there are so many ways to skin the cat

There are great NAA based solutions out there too, and a year ago we had some too :-)

It would be interesting to know which computer (HW + SW) and ps were used as NAA and network placement.

Anyway, undoubtedly the interesting fact of distributed computing and NAA is the possibility to get away of usb cable restriction and server PC placement. Having usually noisy NAS, router and server PC away from audio room is a plus.

i'm using roon/ hq player on a 2012 mac mini ( el capitan) and i have some disfunction sometimes .

first the track don't start and i have this message on roon : roon has lost his end point simultaneously the HQ player bar is searching.

second : sometimes i get a horrible robot sound ( jitter ?) and when i restart the track it disappear .

third : less important some glitches and strange colors appears on roon interface.

no i am not drunken . :)

any idea?

PC audio /Roon + HQPLAYER / HOLO Spring 2 / / DIY AD1 SET tube amp  /  DIY Altec 2 way horn Speaker

It would be interesting to know which computer (HW + SW) and ps were used as NAA and network placement.

Anyway, undoubtedly the interesting fact of distributed computing and NAA is the possibility to get away of usb cable restriction and server PC placement. Having usually noisy NAS, router and server PC away from audio room is a plus.

The hardware was i7 Skylake, mobo LPS with single Microvolt ripple, separate LPS for OCXO, separate LPS for SSD

OS was stripped down Win 10

I don't think many PC's have RF noise down as low as on this hardware collection, which likely explains why we are getting different relative SQ results with and without NAA

The hardware and software combination we have been working on has become a bit of an outlier, out side of the mainstream ?

Sound Test, Monaco

e-mail [email protected]

i'm using roon/ hq player on a 2012 mac mini ( el capitan) and i have some disfunction sometimes .

first the track don't start and i have this message on roon : roon has lost his end point simultaneously the HQ player bar is searching.

second : sometimes i get a horrible robot sound ( jitter ?) and when i restart the track it disappear .

third : less important some glitches and strange colors appears on roon interface.

no i am not drunken . :)

any idea?

Do you have the latest HQPlayer release? I believe I have fixed the remaining communication issues between Roon and HQPlayer in the most recent versions. I'm not sure how much patience Roon has for waiting for HQPlayer to initialize. But depending on HQPlayer settings, initializing the playback can take a while (progress bar running around) - up to about one minute.

The robot sound sounds like DAC side issue of DAC being out of sync. iFi iDSD Nano sometimes does it for me due to injection of the RFI/EMI through the headphone cable back to the DAC.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

Newbie questions re JRiver.

Morning all. Newbie here, digital immigrant. I am kicking the tires on JRiver for my audio needs. Switching from MacBook to a Windows 10 system and need software to rip Cd's lossless and organize the files. I have already ripped 60+K on Apple lossless and will continue to rip my collection swing a new Windows machine. Backup to glyph drive. I use a couple of iPod classics to carry my library around and plug them into my car system and an old school stereo amp at my studio where they sound great on the giant old Klipsch speakers.

So, my questions are:

Will I be able to batch convert the files done on Apple to FLAC?

But will the FLAC files play on my iPod and iPhone or must I make up special play lists in ALAC?

What is JRemote? Sounds like I might need it.

Fed Ex delivers my new computer today!

Any info would be helpful.

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile

Newbie questions re JRiver.

Morning all. Newbie here, digital immigrant. I am kicking the tires on JRiver for my audio needs.

Any info would be helpful.

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile

You are in the wrong thread. This thread is about Roon and it's developing integration with HQPlayer.

• 3 weeks later...

With the latest release of Roon including a Linux version, I was finally able to give Roon a go with HQP as the player. I have both Roon core & HQP running on my Ubuntu server, an iPad as the controller & Synology NAS for music server.

I been using this all weekend and everything has worked really well with no problems to report. All music (PCM & DSD) has been converted to DSD256 (no DoP) without issue.

If you have yet to try Roon coupled with HQP, highly recommended!!

You should post your question in the Roon Community Support forum: https://community.roonlabs.com/c/support

That would be the best place to get an answer to your question.

+1 on what @gcoupe said, but you shouldn't have to add any artwork manually in Roon. If you're connected to the Internet, by default, Roon should go out and get all the album and artist artwork it needs.

--David

Listening Room: Mac mini (Roon Core) > iMac (HQP) > exaSound PlayPoint (as NAA) > exaSound e32 > W4S STP-SE > Benchmark AHB2 > Wilson Sophia Series 2 (Details)

Office: Mac Pro >  AudioQuest DragonFly Red > JBL LSR305

Mobile: iPhone 6S > AudioQuest DragonFly Black > JH Audio JH5

+1 on what @gcoupe said, but you shouldn't have to add any artwork manually in Roon. If you're connected to the Internet, by default, Roon should go out and get all the album and artist artwork it needs.

It doesn't work for files that don't contain metadata. Roon doesn't seem to be able to extract artist/album/song information from the folder and file names. As a result it is really hard to even find such files from the Roon database... As a result, bunch of files also end up with Roon's default artwork.

It doesn't work for files that don't contain metadata. Roon doesn't seem to be able to extract artist/album/song information from the folder and file names. As a result it is really hard to even find such files from the Roon database... As a result, bunch of files also end up with Roon's default artwork.

Ah, good to know. I'd never see that, because I'm compulsive about adding metadata to any new music I acquire.

I wonder what the minimum amount of metadata is that Roon requires to identify an album? Artist + album?

--David

Listening Room: Mac mini (Roon Core) > iMac (HQP) > exaSound PlayPoint (as NAA) > exaSound e32 > W4S STP-SE > Benchmark AHB2 > Wilson Sophia Series 2 (Details)

Office: Mac Pro >  AudioQuest DragonFly Red > JBL LSR305

Mobile: iPhone 6S > AudioQuest DragonFly Black > JH Audio JH5

Ah, good to know. I'd never see that, because I'm compulsive about adding metadata to any new music I acquire.

I have bunch of WAV files (including test signals and such) and DSF files converted from DSDIFF (because Roon doesn't support DSDIFF). I hadn't bothered to add metadata to those so that's how I found out.

I wonder what the minimum amount of metadata is that Roon requires to identify an album? Artist + album?

I've got the picture that there needs to be artist + album + song and then it's happy. In fact, my CD rips don't contain anything more than that (no covers or anything like that).

Do you have the latest HQPlayer release? I believe I have fixed the remaining communication issues between Roon and HQPlayer in the most recent versions. I'm not sure how much patience Roon has for waiting for HQPlayer to initialize. But depending on HQPlayer settings, initializing the playback can take a while (progress bar running around) - up to about one minute.

I've updated my Cubox-i4Pro with the latest image, 3.1.1, with HQ Player Desktop on my Mac Mini (3.13.3) and Roon 1.2.

My previous USB DAC disconnect issues are completely gone. HQP + Roon is stable and sounding absolutely wonderful with my playback chain. Nice work, Jussi, getting all of this to work together - no easy task, I'm sure.

I've finally achieved my endgame streamer setup; on the cheap!

"Play the volume as loud as you want - but don't touch my levels now. I got them set just the way I like 'em."

The robot sound sounds like DAC side issue of DAC being out of sync. iFi iDSD Nano sometimes does it for me due to injection of the RFI/EMI through the headphone cable back to the DAC.

Roon 1.2 > HQ Player performance is simply amazing, ultimate browsing and music discovery with ultimate sound quality. Before 1.2 we could have one or the other, but not both at the same time.

- when going from one input format to another which requires a long wait for a new filter to be sent up, Roon patiently waits. The longer filter setup time is the only down side of DSD 512

- the sound quality of Tidal > Roon 1.2 > HQ Player > DSD512 is jaw droppingly good

we had to redo our OS build for Roon 1.2 but the musical pleasure it has brought us has us grinning like Cheshire cats

Sound Test, Monaco

e-mail [email protected]

I have made the packages for Roon in ArchLinux/AudioLinux.

No manual installation, but with the official pacman package installer.

They are starting but I have not checked them with a license.

If someone want to try...

You can install them with

yaourt -S roonserver

and

yaourt -S roonbridge

To start them, in a root terminal:

systemctl start roonserver

systemctl start roonbridge

To start at boot:

systemctl enable roonserver

systemctl enable roonbridge

AudioLinux --> https://www.audio-linux.com

developer of AudioLinux realtime OS

I tried to add HQplayer from another Windows computer in the network but the music failed to transfer. Is it a must that the HQplayer is in the same computer as the roon core so it is only added as localhost? For adding other network HQplayer are they meant only for NAA?

Since installing 1.2, if I pause playback in Roon for more than a few minutes, Roon loses connection with HQP and HQP loses the connection to the NAA (the NAA stops showing up in the "device" box in HQP settings).

Roon itself is still connected to the network, as is the NAA.(I can see both in browser/network interfaces).

The DAC still shows it is connected to the NAA device, but there isn't a connection for playback. As I said, the NAA stops showing up as a "device" in HQP. This didn't happen before 1.2.

Just rebooting Roon or HQP - or both - doesn't help.

The only workaround is to reboot the NAA device itself.

I'm running RoonServer and HQP Desktop on Win10, and the NAA is an SMS-100 (Sonic Orbiter OS).

The software is all up to date.

Anyone else experience something like this?

BTW, also submitted this at Roon forum.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)