IGNORED

Roon / HQPlayer Integration

OK, I reverted part of the change I suspect causing the problem. Now it is half way between the earlier and the new behavior. I built it as beta7 available at the usual place.

Thank you so much. I shouldn't speak too soon but beta 7 seems to have solved ALL my problems, including the DSD256 stutter. It's really remarkable that you've responded so quickly and flexibly to our problems and responses - I can't thank you enough.

Craig

Thank you so much. I shouldn't speak too soon but beta 7 seems to have solved ALL my problems, including the DSD256 stutter. It's really remarkable that you've responded so quickly and flexibly to our problems and responses - I can't thank you enough.

Craig

Ditto to Craig's comment! Beta 6 was a mess, but 7 so far is playing pcm and dsd256 perfectly! Great job Jessi!

Ryzen 7 2700 PC Server, NUC7CJYH w. 4G Apacer RAM as Renderer/LPS 1.2 - IsoRegen/LPS-1/.2 - Singxer SU-1/LPS1.2 - Holo Spring Level 3 DAC - LTA MicroZOTL MZ2 - Modwright KWA 150 Signature Amp - Tidal Audio Piano's.  

Mac beta7 and roon build 102 working tremendously!

Thanks so much Jussi! DSD256 nirvana... With a sweet front end!

Robert

Software: Roon/HQplayer; System I: Roon Server/HQplayer DSD 512 Upsampling, Custom Windows 10 PC/AO, LPS-1 powered Startech USB card; LPS-1 powered ISO Regen; Holo Cyan DAC; VPI Scout 2 Turntable, Soundsmith Boheme, TTW Clamps and Carbon Matt; Cary SLP-98P Preamp; Van Alstine FET 600 Poweramp;  Aerial Acoustics 6T loudspeakers, SVS SB13 Ultra Subwoofers. System II: Custom PC with Signalyst Linux HQplayer NAA; LPS-1 powered Startech USB card; LPS-1 powered ISO Regen; IFI Micro iDSD Black Label; Primaluna Dialogue 2 with Tung Sol KT-150; Paradigm Studio 20 v3 monitors on Custom Mapleshade stands. Cables: Moon Audio, LUSH, Kimber Kable, Mapleshade, LARRY custom.

It works great here as well, when playing an entire album, or a playlist. It fails miserably when I try to change tracks, change albums, or even un-pausing. HQP crashes every time, and needs to be restarted. Once this is fixed, it will be a fabulous combination.....

Metrum Onyx DAC, Matrix X-SPDIF2 DDC, Snake River Boomslang Digital cable, Verastarr Nemesis USB cable;

Backert Rhumba 1.2 Preamp; Coincident M300B Frankenstein mkII SET monoblocks

Omega Super Alnico HO Monitors (Cherry finish) / Martin Logan Depth i Subwoofer

Macbook Pro (mid-2012, 2.3GHz i7, 16Gb RAM, 512Gb SSD), HQPlayer, Tidal, Roon;

Cabling by Cerious Tech (Graphene SC, Blue PCs), Verastarr (IC and PC) and Teo Audio (GC IC)

It works great here as well, when playing an entire album, or a playlist. It fails miserably when I try to change tracks, change albums, or even un-pausing. HQP crashes every time, and needs to be restarted. Once this is fixed, it will be a fabulous combination.....

Agree.

Agree.

Him...interesting. I've tested 13.3b5 linux and 13.3v7 mac outputing to several different NAA linux/DAC combos driving both with Roon build 102 either on the same or different macs...and no problem with any of this. In fact it is the most robust I've seen roon be to date...I wildly switch between albums and tracks...even clicking in the timeline to change track position...HQplayer is tracking every move perfectly. Works with Redbook to DXD in PCM and up to DSD256...both to PCM or DSD. 1markr and Priaptor...should probably describe your system...and what versions of both programs you are using.

The one thing I have seen, however, is that I can't get HQplayer to disengage from Roon. Thus clicking on disconnect in roon doesn't eliminate the stream in HQplayer...playback will stop...but the stream remains in the playlist. To get rid of it I have to go to the hqplayer console and hit stop and clear. This doesn't appear to cause any problem...but it is different behavior than before.

Robert

Software: Roon/HQplayer; System I: Roon Server/HQplayer DSD 512 Upsampling, Custom Windows 10 PC/AO, LPS-1 powered Startech USB card; LPS-1 powered ISO Regen; Holo Cyan DAC; VPI Scout 2 Turntable, Soundsmith Boheme, TTW Clamps and Carbon Matt; Cary SLP-98P Preamp; Van Alstine FET 600 Poweramp;  Aerial Acoustics 6T loudspeakers, SVS SB13 Ultra Subwoofers. System II: Custom PC with Signalyst Linux HQplayer NAA; LPS-1 powered Startech USB card; LPS-1 powered ISO Regen; IFI Micro iDSD Black Label; Primaluna Dialogue 2 with Tung Sol KT-150; Paradigm Studio 20 v3 monitors on Custom Mapleshade stands. Cables: Moon Audio, LUSH, Kimber Kable, Mapleshade, LARRY custom.

That's great Robert, glad it's working for you. I can only wish it would be the same for me!

I run a mid-2012 MBP, 16gb ram, 2.3ghz i7, ElCapitan on an SD card with a normal install, with nothing but HQP AND Roon installed. Roon works great on its own, and so does HQP, but together....[emoji16]

Metrum Onyx DAC, Matrix X-SPDIF2 DDC, Snake River Boomslang Digital cable, Verastarr Nemesis USB cable;

Cabling by Cerious Tech (Graphene SC, Blue PCs), Verastarr (IC and PC) and Teo Audio (GC IC)

I selected Tracks on Roon, and let it play over the last 14 hrs, pcm and dsd, and the music is still playing this am! Seems incredibly stable for me now.

Ryzen 7 2700 PC Server, NUC7CJYH w. 4G Apacer RAM as Renderer/LPS 1.2 - IsoRegen/LPS-1/.2 - Singxer SU-1/LPS1.2 - Holo Spring Level 3 DAC - LTA MicroZOTL MZ2 - Modwright KWA 150 Signature Amp - Tidal Audio Piano's.  

..... And converting all PCM to DSD256 (poly-sinc-shrt-mp, asdm7)

I selected Tracks on Roon, and let it play over the last 14 hrs, pcm and dsd, and the music is still playing this am! Seems incredibly stable for me now.

It sounds like you filled up your Roon queue and let it play. What I am talking about is playing a DSD to DSD then changing either to another DSD or PCM track all being converted to poly-sinc-mp/ASDM7/5644800. My RoonServer sits on the same "high end" Win 7 Pro desktop as my 13B5 HQPlayer being streamed to NAA on my CAPS ZUMA running Server 2012 R2 using AO beta10 runing in Core Mode.

I am finding NAA closing when switching tracks between PCM-->DSD and vice versa. Will do more testing to see if that is all that is occurring.

That's great Robert, glad it's working for you. I can only wish it would be the same for me!

I run a mid-2012 MBP, 16gb ram, 2.3ghz i7, ElCapitan on an SD card with a normal install, with nothing but HQP AND Roon installed. Roon works great on its own, and so does HQP, but together....[emoji16]

This is very similar to my mac setup 2.3ghz i7, 16gb ram, 10.11.3 on an SSD. Are you also using a NAA? What about versions...are you using HQplayer 13.3 beta 7 and Roon 1.1 build 102? Just checking to make sure we are on the same page...because before both of these updates I had a lot of trouble too. I also suggest restarting the machine after you do the updates (and throwing salt over your left shoulder :-)

Robert

No NAA, but yes to beta7 and build 102. Ok, lemme get the salt, and a reboot coming up...

Him...interesting. I've tested 13.3b5 linux and 13.3v7 mac outputing to several different NAA linux/DAC combos driving both with Roon build 102 either on the same or different macs...and no problem with any of this. In fact it is the most robust I've seen roon be to date...I wildly switch between albums and tracks...even clicking in the timeline to change track position...HQplayer is tracking every move perfectly. Works with Redbook to DXD in PCM and up to DSD256...both to PCM or DSD. 1markr and Priaptor...should probably describe your system...and what versions of both programs you are using.

The one thing I have seen, however, is that I can't get HQplayer to disengage from Roon. Thus clicking on disconnect in roon doesn't eliminate the stream in HQplayer...playback will stop...but the stream remains in the playlist. To get rid of it I have to go to the hqplayer console and hit stop and clear. This doesn't appear to cause any problem...but it is different behavior than before.

Robert

Same here with latest Roon and HQPlayer beta 7.

John Walker - IT Executive

Headphone - SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > Topping D90 > Topping A90d > Dan Clark Expanse / HiFiMan H6SE v2 / HiFiman Arya Stealth

Home Theater / Music -SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Denon X3700h > Anthem Amp for front channels > Revel F208-based 5.2.4 Atmos speaker system

Same here with latest Roon and HQPlayer beta 7.

I'm also having occasional problems with HQplayer on linux not responding to Roon on the mac. I'll tell roon to play an album and the timeline will go to track 1, but it just sits there and HQplayer won't start. Disconnecting in roon doesn't help...neither do restarting the programs. The only thing that will work is to restart the linux computer. I've seen this from time to time previously when hqplayer has been on the mac too...although it hasn't happened yet since my latest upgrades. Very infrequent. I'm guessing its some time of memory corruption.

Robert

Where do you guys download new releases from?

Roon builds are downloaded automatically, or go to settings -> about and check for updates.

HQPlayer betas are here: Signalyst - Installing HQPlayer beta

What OS do you run NAA on? If you can find some simple systematic way to reproduce a problem on HQPlayer or NAA, it would help fixing those...

NAA is running on my CAPS ZUMA with Windows Server 2012 R2 in Core mode using AudioPhil's Audio Optimizer.

With beta7 of HQPlayer, so far (fingers crossed) I haven't had an issue. I have switched between DSD64, 128 and most PCM all to poly-sinc-mp/ASDM7/DSD5.6448M without issue.

I was having issues with Beta5

I'm having almost no issues with 3.13b5 or b7 and updated Roon. Only a very occasional disconnect, and I mean very occasional. All formats and all types of upsampling \ resampling work fine.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

I'm having almost no issues with 3.13b5 or b7 and updated Roon. Only a very occasional disconnect, and I mean very occasional. All formats and all types of upsampling \ resampling work fine.

Not sure if you are using NAA or what OS you are using BUT B7 and updated Roon seems to be the ticket for my system which includes all Windows and NAA. Haven't had a disconnect yet in 7 hours

+1...very occasionally