IGNORED

Roon / HQPlayer Integration

I continue to be favorably impressed with the dedication of roon and Jussi Laako's integration and performance output. For the first time, I started play of The Beatles' catalogue via TIDAL HIFI specifically, the "1" album, with HQPlayer set to upsample to DSD128. Voila! Play began instantly without a hitch or impediment. Tracks play sequentially without any issues.

Marvelous!

Thank you roon/Jussi.

Enjoying the music,

Richard

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Sorry ti report that the stop/disconnect issue is not solved for me. When Roon is in radio mode it usually plays for a while but if I add a song to the queue or change song it just stops playing.

I have Roon core on iMac, sms-100 as NAA, Roon Remote on iPad pro.

So far all the rest is perfect. Please fix this issue that prevents me to enjoy my music listening experience!

Hello simone,

Neither is it solved for me with 1.1.94. While testing a new Curious Regen Link 200mm to replace UpTone Audio's hard adapter between Regen and my W4S Dac2 DSDse, I launched HQPlayer, the roon, then Art Pepper Meets The Rythmn Section Acoustic Sound DL, DSD64, the excellent rendition played 3 tracks followed by silence. I chose to highlight the track and click on play from here. One or two tracks played followed by silence. Repeated the same routine. Three times in all before roon/HQPlayer played through to the last track. I was dismayed.

For whatever reason, the radio part of roon, continued to select, as if a Playlist was initiated, similar tracks throughout my music library. I have a huge Jazz selection, and I thoroughly enjoyed how roon selected from that collection and for about a good hour, NOT one disconnect.

I decided to stop the radio Playlist, and selected a Kurt Elling redbook CD rip by XLD to AIFF which played without one disconnect. The the Beatles Help! album again to the last track without one disconnect.

Difficult for me to understand what triggered the first three disconnects, that was easy to recover from, but as you rightly characterize detracts from the enjoyment of my music. Haven't a clue what allowed for continuous play via Radio (on its own) for a good hour, followed by my selecting albums and playing them partially or in their entirety without any disconnects.

I, too, would wish that roon/HQPlayer would solve the disconnect now it happens now it doesn't. I am only posting at this thread to support and share with you our experience and how we both feel about it. I didn't post at the roon community, yet. But I believe I should. So I will.

With this hobby, we must experience the good with the not so good, provide feedback and hope that those who gave us this excellent integration advantage can eliminate the interstial disconnects that happen randomly and then not at all.

BTW: roon/HQPlayer despite the disconnects and following the commencement of the radio playlist like experience up sampled to DSD128 after the conclusion of the Art Pepper DSD64 album without missing a beat. Nada. Just non-stop excellent sounding playback. Thoroughly enjoyable. What a mixed bag of experiences but also a highly enjoyable mix of experiences for the most part.

Best,

Richard

They've weighed in on this over at the Roon Community and have said they are working on some new solutions with Jussi. Many (not all) of the problems seem to be connected to manual manipulation/changes to the playlist. Anyway, these solutions are being tested by Alpha testers of the next Roon version. Before too long there should soon be an updated version that will improve the "disconnect" issue when outputting to HQP.

see the end of the thread:

https://community.roonlabs.com/t/build-94-hq-player-connection-problems/6898/36

Yes, I am also aware of what you address as I regularly visit Roon's community. And thank you for referring to the outcomes for addressing this distressing anomaly that pops up in various uses of roon aside from playlist manipulations based on my own experience. And for the link so that others may follow along.

Best,

Richard

Glad to hear, same issue with me with lost HQ path. Most of the time, all I do is hit the disconnect and then hit play again and that typ. works at least for me.

Yes, recovering isn't the issue. It's having to that's the issue and the rub. It's a work in progress. So I cut them slack while they sort it out. Gratitude and mercy are suite mates of a sort. (Smile).

Disconnecting while I wish you well and enjoy the music,

Richard

It worse for me. roon won't play at all. I get the message Transport can not connect to HQPlayer. I select any album and roon will NOT play. I am aghast as I just downloaded the new build, 1.1.99 and this is the result. I haven't tried another Zone, but so what, the Zone selected, HQPlayer should be working and it's NOT. Started a thread at roon in the support section as I can figure how to recover.

Best,

Richard

Update: Of course, after calming down, I switched Zones to my W4S Dac2 DSDse and voila. It therefore must be HQPlayer and roon are broken by 1.1.99. Is it just me? By that I mean, I download a new build and immediately it's broken the HQPlayer Zone and roon had no clue? Between the beta testing, and offering us the new build, we have to find out this way? Who's minding the store? Or am I being too severe?

Best,

Richard

No problem here - in fact, the new release is much more stable than before. HQPlayer working great, start / stop working great. Sorry it's problematic for you :(

Hello John,

I am a complete Ass. I was beta testing the new build from Sonic Studio for A4T. Got excited. Then read about the download availability for 1.1.99.

Downloaded 1.1.99, selected the Jimmy Giuffre Paul Bley Steve Swallow CD, Fly Away Little Bird with HQPlayer Zone already selected. No play.

Requested support from the roon community. And then after Brian responded with great support as always, it dawned on me:

Is it plugged in? Is the on button pressed? Richard, did you launch HQPlayer?

Oooops! How embarrassing it that? Apologies to everyone for my silliness, here and at the roon community.

In the words of Emily Litella (Gilder Radner character) "Never mind".

Not at my best,

Richard

Update post silliness.

roon/HQPlayer has been playing for nearly 90 minutes with nary a disconnect. Not one glitch, not one disconnect, just boring great playing. When the Jimmy Giuffre, Paul Bley Steve Swallow, Fly Away Little Bird, concluded, the radio feature took over and is playing selections from my music library.

Perhaps as 1markr concludes, 1.1.99 cures the disconnect issue with roon/HQPlayer. The SQ is excellent, truly. Amarra Symphony with iRC is better in my opinion. But I know that's OT so I won't elaborate. roon in January with HQPlayer is a delight. I am sorry other members are experiencing frustrating issues. I understand the context behind the counsel to get rid of roon and keep HQPlayer. I cannot concur. Instead of getting rid of anything, find the trigger(s) cure them and enjoy the marvelous integration of the two players.

Oh, and remember to turn on HQPlayer if you want roon to play through the HQPlayer Zone. Just sayin'...(smile)

Hello roon! Thank you for 1.1.99.

Enjoying the music,

Richard