IGNORED

Roon / HQPlayer Integration

I believe there are some bugs in 3.12b3 that were acknowledged earlier on, and will be fixed soon.

I never had problems with the poly-sinc family of filters but now I have major stuttering where I had none before. Using "closed form" with ASDM7, @ DSD256 for now.

Metrum Onyx DAC, Matrix X-SPDIF2 DDC, Snake River Boomslang Digital cable, Verastarr Nemesis USB cable;

Backert Rhumba 1.2 Preamp; Coincident M300B Frankenstein mkII SET monoblocks

Omega Super Alnico HO Monitors (Cherry finish) / Martin Logan Depth i Subwoofer

Macbook Pro (mid-2012, 2.3GHz i7, 16Gb RAM, 512Gb SSD), HQPlayer, Tidal, Roon;

Cabling by Cerious Tech (Graphene SC, Blue PCs), Verastarr (IC and PC) and Teo Audio (GC IC)

Unfortunately, my poly-sinc filters are still not working with this latest release; they were perfect before 3.12... :(

Mentioned this in the HQPlayer thread.

Ok, just tested this version and now it works fine even with the clean poly-sinc filter.

Metrum Onyx DAC, Matrix X-SPDIF2 DDC, Snake River Boomslang Digital cable, Verastarr Nemesis USB cable;

Cabling by Cerious Tech (Graphene SC, Blue PCs), Verastarr (IC and PC) and Teo Audio (GC IC)

• 4 weeks later...

This latest version took care of all the disconnect issues I had with v88 and v94. It's running great, and I am finally enjoying it very much! Love the gui front end, and of course the kick ass audio from HQP!

• 2 weeks later...

It works great here as well, when playing an entire album, or a playlist. It fails miserably when I try to change tracks, change albums, or even un-pausing. HQP crashes every time, and needs to be restarted. Once this is fixed, it will be a fabulous combination.....

That's great Robert, glad it's working for you. I can only wish it would be the same for me!

I run a mid-2012 MBP, 16gb ram, 2.3ghz i7, ElCapitan on an SD card with a normal install, with nothing but HQP AND Roon installed. Roon works great on its own, and so does HQP, but together....[emoji16]

..... And converting all PCM to DSD256 (poly-sinc-shrt-mp, asdm7)

No NAA, but yes to beta7 and build 102. Ok, lemme get the salt, and a reboot coming up...

• 2 weeks later...

Is anyone still having issues with HQP 3.13 and Roon, or am I the only one?

I still cannot manually move from one song to another without HQP crashing on me each and every time. It plays fine when playing a whole album or playlist, but any manual intervention from me causes HQP to crash.

I am running both HQP and Roon on a bootable OS X SD card on very clean and basic installs of both Yosemite and El Capitan. Running a Macbook Pro with an i7 2.3Ghz processor, 16Gb ram, ExaSound drivers (5.1.3 for Yosemite, and 5.1.6 for El Capitan).

I usually run PCM to DSD: poly-sinc-shrt-mp, ASDM7, Auto.

I sent in the HQPlayer settings file a while ago when asked for, but haven't heard back. I'd be happy to submit again, along with logs if necessary.

I can only speak for myself: I've never had HQPlayer crash on me, at any time. Right now, Roon / HQPlayer integration is working well for me, with an almost identical setup.

The major difference between our setups is the need for ExaSound drivers - my DACs run driverless. Wouldn't be surprised if that's a factor.

John, I think you nailed it.... I bet it is a driver issue.... I posted the below on the Roon forum as well:

I think it is an issue with HQP working properly with the exaSound driver. An observation tonight.... When stopping a track in HQP, my exaSound driver icon on the menu bar still had the green "play" icon, even though HQP was stopped. Same thing when running Roon and HQP. When I stopped a track in Roon, it stopped in HQP as well, but the exaSound icon still showed the green "play" icon vs. being "stopped", which is red square icon. Selecting another track to play crashed HQP, which may be due to the state of the exaSound driver.

Jussi, what do you think? I know you run an exaSound DAC as well. Can this be fixed?

So, playing around some more, I am certain that its the HQP / exaSound driver combo thats causing the issues of HQP crashing.

I have an iFi Micro sitting around, and decided to play around with it instead of my exaSound. Sure enough, the HQP / Roon integration worked without issue, and I was able to jump around tracks over and over without an issue. Working as designed!

So, Jussi, I need help in getting the HQP to play nicely with the exaSound drivers! Is anyone successful in running HQP with the exaSound drivers?

I am running OS X Jussi...and yes, ASIO. If I can remember correctly, 3.12 May have worked ok, but I would have to revisit.

Playing some more today, I found that using exaSound's core audio driver instead of the ASIO driver worked just fine. I am able to jump around tracks in a playlist, between albums, I can skip tracks, etc.

The problem with HQP crashing on my MacBook is certainly related to the exaSound ASIO driver.

I guess I'd have to listen to both, but what am I losing by sticking to the core audio driver vs. the ASIO driver?

Jussi, Bravo!!!

No more HQP crashing with the ASIO drivers! At least I can't seem to break it yet! The ASIO driver sounds much better than core audio. Also seems to load a little quicker now.

Thanks for your support in fixing this! Well done!