IGNORED

Roon / HQPlayer Integration

I like the idea of a pretty front end with Roon and using a control point like an ipad or an android tablet, while using a great sound engine with HQPlayer.

The problem is that my antique (Gen 4 2012 model) ipad retina won't work with Roon, and only selected android tablets which I also don't own. So apart from the $119/year for Roon, there's also an Ipad air 2 to buy $499 and throw out the old retina ipad which works perfectly fine for everything else.

I'll save the $618 for a future computer audio device and continue to enjoy HQPlayer on a VNC basis from the antique retina ipad or MBP.

Somehow I agree with you.

I plan to hack my Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10" with a newer unofficial kernel, then report.

• 2 months later...
Several ways including

Copper Ethernet > FMC with LPS > Fibre > FMC with LPS > Copper Ethernet

Our Mojo is not running so good with Ethernet any more :-(

At the end of the day its the sound of the total system that counts, there are so many ways to skin the cat

There are great NAA based solutions out there too, and a year ago we had some too :-)

It would be interesting to know which computer (HW + SW) and ps were used as NAA and network placement.

Anyway, undoubtedly the interesting fact of distributed computing and NAA is the possibility to get away of usb cable restriction and server PC placement. Having usually noisy NAS, router and server PC away from audio room is a plus.

• 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
3 hours ago, acatala said:

Hello!!

I have a couple of questions in my mind. Let be this scenario:

Roon Server

HQPlayer (In the same host as Roon Sever or in another one)

NAA1 to DAC1 (DSD128 capable)

NAA2 to DAC2 (DSD512 capable)

With this configuration, is it possible from a control point select DAC1 or DAC2 from the very same instance o HQPlayer or, on the other hand, should we use a couple of instances of HQPlayer?

Could Roon (or HQPlayer) play in every DAC with its native format (max. format) or the lowest format (DSD128) limits the whole system  format?

Thanks a lot!

You can select NAA output from within HQPlayer, not Roon.

When you have Roon sending signal to HQPlayer, Roon does not know yet what the output is going to be. It depends on DAC capability connected to each NAA.  HQPlayer/NAA is in charge of the output and it gives feedback to Roon in order to show what the output chain and frequency is.