IGNORED

Need advice: S/PDIF vs AES/EBU digital inputs

I poked around but didn't see this discussed here recently..

I currently run a Mac Mini with LPS into an iFi iUSB 3.0 and iFi USB-S/PDIF converter. This feeds a Lyngdorf TDAI 2200 room correction system/amp with its own built-in DAC. The TDAI has both S/PDIF and AES/EBU digital input options but the iFi converter only sends out S/PDIF. The converter and Lyngdorf are next to each other, so no long run needed.

Would it be a worthwhile upgrade to get a USB-S/PDIF converter that has the AES/EBU output to feed the DAC in the Lyngdorf instead of the coaxial cable?

Not sure if it makes any difference, but the Mac will soon be replaced with an Aurender N100H which only has a USB output, again necessitating the use of a converter.

Synology DS1515+ >  PS Audio P10 > Innuos Zenith Mk II running Roon Core > IsoRegen/LPS-1 > Lyngdorf TDAI 2170 > Tekton Double Impact Speakers

Looks like a nice unit. But my original question applies to this one too. Would the DAC be better served with the S/PDIF or AES/EBU connection?

5354_foto4_product_org.jpg

Synology DS1515+ >  PS Audio P10 > Innuos Zenith Mk II running Roon Core > IsoRegen/LPS-1 > Lyngdorf TDAI 2170 > Tekton Double Impact Speakers

Looks like a nice unit. But my original question applies to this one too. Would the DAC be better served with the S/PDIF or AES/EBU connection?

Many people will tell you AES is better. My view is that if implemented properly, they should be close. AES is more for long distance. Some perceived difference is probably due to different cables used.

Coax uses an unbalanced .5 volt peak to peak signal. AES used a 5 volt ptp balanced signal. It has some ability to reject common mode noise over longer runs. For your use the short coax SPDIF will be fine.

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

Well in my instance I use a Zodiac Platinum DAC, and have tried both AES and SPdif, to send the digital signal to a Trinnov Amethyst. In my opinion with my system, the Spdif sounds better - marginally....I use both connections AES for the clock signal (The Trinnov is slaved to the Zodiac Clock), and use SPDIF for the data.

ER / Geisman OXCO / Grimm MU1  / Dutch & Dutch 8C / Townshend Seismic Isolation

HP - SMSL Sanskrit 10th A’ , Woo Audio WA5 LE, Hifiman HEK v2

Well in my instance I use a Zodiac Platinum DAC, and have tried both AES and SPdif, to send the digital signal to a Trinnov Amethyst. In my opinion with my system, the Spdif sounds better - marginally....I use both connections AES for the clock signal (The Trinnov is slaved to the Zodiac Clock), and use SPDIF for the data.

And what would you attribute that too?

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality.