IGNORED

Merging + Nadac

I happen to have one, and am very impressed by the sound quality. It is as close to tape as I have heard. It is stunningly transparent but engaging at the same time.

I also have a Manhattan on hand, which is excellent in its own right, but not in the same league as the Nadac.

Anyone sporting a Nadac? I should be delighted to hear your impressions.

Best Wishes

Andrew

• 4 weeks later...

I have been very happy with my mch NADAC, both in DSD and PCM modes. I asked Dom Brulhart of Merging about using Hapi instead of the NADAC. Here are some FAQ's about the two. One important difference is that in stereo mode, the NADAC gangs the 8 DAC chips in groups of 4 for each channel, while HAPI and HORUS do not.

https://confluence.merging.com/display/PUBLICDOC/FAQ#FAQ-WhatisthedifferencebetweenMERGING+NADACandHAPI,andwhyshouldIbuyaMERGING+NADACinsteadofHAPI?

Larry

PS. Dom has just added a new configuration for Emotion in mch (at my request). Called "2+6" it uses channels 1-2 (which can have the 8 DAC chips ganged) for stereo (which I send to my stereo preamp), while channels 3-8 are my (sent to my mch preamp). No switching of wires between stereo and mch to get the ganged DACs in stereo. Another mch+stereo setting, "6+2", allows channels 1-6 to mch and 7-8 to stereo, but doesn't do the ganged DACs. Of course, you can still do an 8 channel mch setting (for 7.1) or 4 stereo settings (so you can sent four different programs to four different stereo setups (in different rooms).

Analog-VPIClas3,3DArm,LyraSkala+MiyajimaZeromono,Herron VTPH2APhono,2AmpexATR-102+MerrillTridentMaster TapePreamp

Dig Rip-Pyramix,IzotopeRX3Adv,MykerinosCard,PacificMicrosonicsModel2; Dig Play-Lampi Horizon, mch NADAC, Roon-HQPlayer,Oppo105

Electronics-DoshiPre,CJ MET1mchPre,Cary2A3monoamps; Speakers-AvantgardeDuosLR,3SolosC,LR,RR

Other-2x512EngineerMarutaniSymmetrical Power+Cables Music-1.8KR2Rtapes,1.5KCD's,500SACDs,50+TBripped files

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I have been very happy with my mch NADAC, both in DSD and PCM modes. I asked Dom Brulhart of Merging about using Hapi instead of the NADAC. Here are some FAQ's about the two. One important difference is that in stereo mode, the NADAC gangs the 8 DAC chips in groups of 4 for each channel, while HAPI and HORUS do not.

https://confluence.merging.com/display/PUBLICDOC/FAQ#FAQ-WhatisthedifferencebetweenMERGING+NADACandHAPI,andwhyshouldIbuyaMERGING+NADACinsteadofHAPI?

Larry

PS. Dom has just added a new configuration for Emotion in mch (at my request). Called "2+6" it uses channels 1-2 (which can have the 8 DAC chips ganged) for stereo (which I send to my stereo preamp), while channels 3-8 are my (sent to my mch preamp). No switching of wires between stereo and mch to get the ganged DACs in stereo. Another mch+stereo setting, "6+2", allows channels 1-6 to mch and 7-8 to stereo, but doesn't do the ganged DACs. Of course, you can still do an 8 channel mch setting (for 7.1) or 4 stereo settings (so you can sent four different programs to four different stereo setups (in different rooms).

Larry, et al,

My NADAC showed up last week for review. I am hopefully close to getting over my health issue (kidney stone and complications) and will open the box asap.

Question: since my music server (especially HQP and NAA) are headless I rely on RDC (remote desktop) to use within my network (office desktop and more often iPad). Does Ravenna support this? I guess a bigger question is: does the system need to be all-Ravenna (NAS, servers, DAC)?

Question: since my music server (especially HQP and NAA) are headless I rely on RDC (remote desktop) to use within my network (office desktop and more often iPad). Does Ravenna support this? I guess a bigger question is: does the system need to be all-Ravenna (NAS, servers, DAC)?
No. Just server and DAC.

Kal Rubinson

Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

Kal, thanks. So will the NADAC support HQP+NAA, given that it isn't a USB DAC? Do we assume that when I install the NADAC ASIO drive on my NAA machine then NADAC will see it, and HQP will continue to see it? These are the areas I will investigate, regardless.

Kal, thanks. So will the NADAC support HQP+NAA, given that it isn't a USB DAC? Do we assume that when I install the NADAC ASIO drive on my NAA machine then NADAC will see it, and HQP will continue to see it? These are the areas I will investigate, regardless.
I suspect so. I ran HQP on my PC server with the Ravenna ASIO driver. They were connected directly as a separate local network with the PC also on the main network with the NAS.

Kal Rubinson

Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

Should work with the ASIO driver, but AFAIK you need to set the "AltDSD" flag in HQPlayer settings for it to behave correctly.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

With our tests on the HAPI we found that Ravenna offers a good separation from PC noise - not much need for an NAA which is still possible.

Optical network isolation is still effective.

It was positively influential to use an external power supply. In your case a NADAC is supposed to have a better PS than HAPI, but it would still be good to test an external PS if you can.

• 1 month later...

To reply to myself; all´s good now. It seemed that I had missed the fundamental basics (ie. reading the manual AND understanding it). Merging had all the info I needed.

Cheers :)

Anyone here with Nadac, Apple and Audirvana Plus 2.4?

Having any difficulties getting them to play nicely together..?

Jussi Arvio

Contributing Editor

Hifimaailma Magazine

• 1 year later...