IGNORED

Playback Designs Merlot DAC/Headphone Amp with DSD 256

It's a clever way to offer SACD disc playback via the Merlot DAC (and an Oppo 103 Universal disc player) and allow copying the music off the disc to music files. Andreas has indicated that .DSF support will be coming in a future edition of the Free Sonoma software which is also used to record to DSD with the upcoming Pinot ADC.

As for SACD copies, the PlayStation does them at 4X speed which some have found to be not as accurate as doing a real-time transfer/recording of an SACD with an SACD Transport + ADC and DSD Workstation. This feature will attract some listeners towards the Merlot + OpBox for Stereo SACD transfer to DSD files, no doubt about it.

nice!

nice!

Including the Free Sonoma recording software was something I expected with the Pinot ADC. It was a surprise to see it was also part of the Merlot DAC + OpBox products. Allows transferring DSD from SACDs without the need for an ADC. Very clever!

The lack of any upgrades for the MPD-3 being replaced by a new model leaves me with a distinct taste of CH3COOH.

Playback Designs has said for sometime now that there will be upgrades for their earlier products. And here's what they posted on their web site on the upgrades to address the Apple USB driver and add Quad DSD to the earlier Playback Designs products:

"Upgrade Kit Coming Soon:

Following our tradition to always support our loyal customers with their existing Playback Designs products we are preparing an upgrade kit for all 5- and 3-series players and DACs. This will add the capability to play quad DSD files which can be generated and recorded with our new and upcoming "Pinot" A/D converter, and also address the issue with Apple's USB driver. The upgrade kit will be available later in 2016."

Playback Designs | the finest audio playback in the world

Hyperion, do you have possibility to compare Merlot DAC vs. PS Audio DS?

Hey Pete. Not yet - but that will be a very interesting exercise indeed. The PS Audio DS adds volume control and built in streaming-possibilities, which can be a deal-breaker for some.

/ Marcus

PERFECT SENSE

www.perfect-sense.se

Showroom in Stockholm, Sweden | [email protected] | 08 518 368 00 | Follow us on Facebook

Hey Pete. Not yet - but that will be a very interesting exercise indeed. The PS Audio DS adds volume control and built in streaming-possibilities, which can be a deal-breaker for some.

/ Marcus

PS DS is the best DAC that I have heard at home. I consider buying one (with) Bridge even thou I have microRendu also.

I like that fpga approach that also Merlot have. You can get improvements over firmware update. Volume control is not important for me, only sound :). Maybe you have someday both on your demo room. I live in Finland but visiting time to time in Stockholm.

PS DS is the best DAC that I have heard at home. I consider buying one (with) Bridge even thou I have microRendu also.

I like that fpga approach that also Merlot have. You can get improvements over firmware update. Volume control is not important for me, only sound :). Maybe you have someday both on your demo room. I live in Finland but visiting time to time in Stockholm.

The PS Audio DS series is indeed special, offering a very mature, natural and musical presentation.

I do have both the DS and DS Junior on demonstration, as well as the new Playback Designs Merlot DAC and Syrah streamer/mediaserver.

You're more than welcome to visit me in Stockholm at any time!

/ Marcus

PERFECT SENSE

www.perfect-sense.se

Showroom in Stockholm, Sweden | [email protected] | 08 518 368 00 | Follow us on Facebook

The PS Audio DS series is indeed special, offering a very mature, natural and musical presentation.

I do have both the DS and DS Junior on demonstration, as well as the new Playback Designs Merlot DAC and Syrah streamer/mediaserver.

You're more than welcome to visit me in Stockholm at any time!

/ Marcus

Hello Marcus. I realize that it's purely subjective, but since you sell both I'd be very interested to hear your thoughts on how the PS DirectStream DAC (with its latest firmware) compares to the Playback Designs Merlot DAC. Unfortunately I won't be in Sweden anytime in the foreseeable future so your comparison would be most helpful and appreciated. Thanks in advance for your time!

Hello Marcus. I realize that it's purely subjective, but since you sell both I'd be very interested to hear your thoughts on how the PS DirectStream DAC (with its latest firmware) compares to the Playback Designs Merlot DAC. Unfortunately I won't be in Sweden anytime in the foreseeable future so your comparison would be most helpful and appreciated. Thanks in advance for your time!

I haven't yet had the opportunity to compare these two units, but I'm planning to.

PERFECT SENSE

www.perfect-sense.se

Audiostream's Steve Plaskin reviewed the Syrah Server, Merlot DAC and the OPBox to P-Link converter and was really impressed what he heard.

My comments (FWIW)

The Syrah internal 2TB HDD is not enough for large libraries, but expansion is the key here, unfortunately using DLNA is one choice, but an external drive is a lot better. The Server is equipped with a Celeron CPU, but copes with playing back DSD256 without melting down which is kind of a surprise. DSD512 is not supported. Jremote is very welcome and a familiar face to get used to easily, which makes me wonder what server software is installed that interfaces with Jremote so easily...Can HQplayer be installed, would be nicer, but restricted to DSD256/128.

The Merlot DAC is much the same interface as the MPD-3 which I own, but includes the P-Link ST connector for recording SACD from an Oppo 103. Since the interface card fitted to the Oppo is a PD, the output should be pretty good, although there are some reservations I have whether the mechanical drive system will have an influence on the ST Output.

To record a DFF or DSF (soon) from an SACD DSD layer without resorting to a Playstation and the pfaff associated with (un)reliability of same is a big plus. To record in real time takes longer, but slow and steady can win the race too.

It means also not having to fork out a Sonoma workstation, which would be the more than the total cost of all PD offerings including the server. It's an expensive way ($1850 + $6500 + an Oppo) to preserve SACD, but if the SACD can't be replaced like many MFSL editions are, the cost is of no consequence. I'm not expecting much from the PD recording software like SoundForge or Protools, but should include a splitter which cuts at zero crossing and creating minimal tagging obtainable from MusicBrainz or GraceNote perhaps. MP3Tag can do the rest.

Sorry for repeating the Audiostream reference was already completed. Those who want to talk PS Audio DS DAC can take a short hike and start another thread, how's that. Don't mind comparisons, but should be in another thread anyway.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

• 2 months later...
I haven't yet had the opportunity to compare these two units, but I'm planning to.

Hello Marcus. It's been a couple of months since your post above, have you had a chance to make a comparison between the PSA DS and the Playback Designs Merlot DACs? Some of us here would be most interested in your findings and very appreciative of your input. TIA!

Hello Marcus. It's been a couple of months since your post above, have you had a chance to make a comparison between the PSA DS and the Playback Designs Merlot DACs? Some of us here would be most interested in your findings and very appreciative of your input. TIA!

I'm afraid that showroom renovations and some down time in combination with the fact that the Playback Designs Merlot DAC is out for review makes a direct comparison hard until early October...

/ Marcus

PERFECT SENSE

www.perfect-sense.se

While not really a comparison as such I had the opportunity to enjoy the Merlot in my home during 4-5 weeks this summer (thanks Marcus!). I have not heard the DirectStream in the same setup though but will share my experience and findings. I would say out of the box the Merlot needed about 250 hours or so before it really started to shine! Before that it left me a bit unimpressed. It was playing strong and very "correct" and all, but I was missing emotion and joy with it and actually switched back to my LampizatOr for a while (at around 100 hours of burn-in). I then gave it some more time and after a while there was no doubt that this is a really fine DAC. Microdetails, air, speed, soundstage, punchiness, you name it. It sounded huge and very very good! I especially noted an advantage with classical music compared to my own DAC (which to be fair is less than 1/3 of the price of the Merlot). Another advantage with PlayBack Design is that they can do DSD256 natively with Linux (read microRendu!) which my Amanero based DAC still can't do today. I mostly listened to DSD through HQPLayer with it.

As for the packaging, I've never seen a product more well packaged in my life. I doubt they will ever get any returns due to shipping damages... but opening that big and heavy box and finding this cute little DAC inside was a strange discovery. It was so tiny... :)

I didn't care much for all the recording features. Nice if you want or need them, but I don't. I also find it a bit disappointing that the volume knob is only for headphones as I don't use headphones. But as a pure DAC it sounded wonderful and I have nothing negative to say about it, just remember to give it some time to settle if auditioning. Highly recommended!

• 1 month later...
You can "stack" 3 of the Merlot DACs for Multichannel DSD playback with the company's Playback Link (or PL-Link) connections. I'm not sure how that works, or doesn't work, with the Sonoma Recording software and the OpBox card.

Can the Pinot ADCs be similarly daisy-chained for multichannel 11.2MHz DSD recording?

• 1 month later...
Thanks for taking the time to share your impressions with us, Rikard!

My thanks as well. I did a lot of research as well as corresponding with Andreas Koch before committing to a new Merlot and Rikard's experience with the DAC also figured into my decision-making.

I've just passed the 250 hour point with my new Merlot DAC and have to say Rikard really nailed his description of the Merlot and the break-in process, though I'll add it sounded quite special out of the box in comparison to the Playback Designs MPD-3 I've been living with for some years.

But with play it has only continued to improve. Transparency, texture, weight, tonal saturation, tactile presence, vivid immediacy are some of the terms that come to mind as I listen with the Merlot in my system. Especially at native DSD256 rates it really does blur the lines between analog and digital. I'm heavily invested in vinyl playback and don't see that changing anytime soon, but if ever there were a DAC that could persuade me to go digital-only, the Merlot is the one.

Given that Mr. Koch suggests in the owners manual that break-in continues for 500 hours or more, I can't wait to hear what the next 250 hours bring.

Steve Z

VPI-HW40 Anniversary turntable, Grado Aeon3 cartridge; Teres turntable, VPI Fatboy gimbal, Dynavector XV1-S, Lyra Helikon mono; Taiko Audio Extreme server, dCS Vivaldi DAC, Upsampler Plus and Clock, Cybershaft OP21 Reference Clock; Playback Designs Pinot ADC; D'Agostino Momentum M400 amplifiers, Momentum HD preamp, Momentum phono stage; Wilson Audio Alexx speakers, 2X3 SVS SB16 Ultra subwoofers; Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR & Typhon, Shunyata Sigma NR & Alpha NR power cords, Sigma interconnects, digital and speaker cables; Stillpoints ESS grid system rack; Stillpoints Ultras and Ultra 5s, component stands and cones under everything, ASC Tube Traps . . . and lots and lots of music.

My thanks as well. I did a lot of research as well as corresponding with Andreas Koch before committing to a new Merlot and Rikard's experience with the DAC also figured into my decision-making.

I've just passed the 250 hour point with my new Merlot DAC and have to say Rikard really nailed his description of the Merlot and the break-in process, though I'll add it sounded quite special out of the box in comparison to the Playback Designs MPD-3 I've been living with for some years.

But with play it has only continued to improve. Transparency, texture, weight, tonal saturation, tactile presence, vivid immediacy are some of the terms that come to mind as I listen with the Merlot in my system. Especially at native DSD256 rates it really does blur the lines between analog and digital. I'm heavily invested in vinyl playback and don't see that changing anytime soon, but if ever there were a DAC that could persuade me to go digital-only, the Merlot is the one.

Given that Mr. Koch suggests in the owners manual that break-in continues for 500 hours or more, I can't wait to hear what the next 250 hours bring.

Steve Z

Steve - Thanks very much for adding your perspective about the Merlot; I find it very interesting since I also used to own an MPD-3! When I had that DAC I felt it really excelled in DSD playback, but took a significant step back in relative performance with PCM. You stated that the Merlot shines with native DSD256, so I wonder what your impressions of it are with PCM source material and how you think that relatively compares with the MPD-3. I'm also heavily invested in vinyl playback and have been on what seems like an endless search for digital playback that captures a good measure of that relaxed and engaging analog magic. Sounds like the Merlot may be the answer, but I'm curious as to your experience on its relative performance with PCM files. TIA for your time, and continue to enjoy the tunes!

While not really a comparison as such I had the opportunity to enjoy the Merlot in my home during 4-5 weeks this summer (thanks Marcus!). I have not heard the DirectStream in the same setup though but will share my experience and findings. I would say out of the box the Merlot needed about 250 hours or so before it really started to shine! Before that it left me a bit unimpressed. It was playing strong and very "correct" and all, but I was missing emotion and joy with it and actually switched back to my LampizatOr for a while (at around 100 hours of burn-in). I then gave it some more time and after a while there was no doubt that this is a really fine DAC. Microdetails, air, speed, soundstage, punchiness, you name it. It sounded huge and very very good! I especially noted an advantage with classical music compared to my own DAC (which to be fair is less than 1/3 of the price of the Merlot). Another advantage with PlayBack Design is that they can do DSD256 natively with Linux (read microRendu!) which my Amanero based DAC still can't do today. I mostly listened to DSD through HQPLayer with it.

As for the packaging, I've never seen a product more well packaged in my life. I doubt they will ever get any returns due to shipping damages... but opening that big and heavy box and finding this cute little DAC inside was a strange discovery. It was so tiny... :)

I didn't care much for all the recording features. Nice if you want or need them, but I don't. I also find it a bit disappointing that the volume knob is only for headphones as I don't use headphones. But as a pure DAC it sounded wonderful and I have nothing negative to say about it, just remember to give it some time to settle if auditioning. Highly recommended!

Which Lampizator? Which DAC would you say you preferred in the final analysis, if you had to pick one?

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Which Lampizator? Which DAC would you say you preferred in the final analysis, if you had to pick one?

It was an L4G5, and as I wrote in the original comparison it was like 1/3 of the price of the Merlot. After the Merlot was given enough time to burn-in I think it was probably the better of the two with a bigger soundstage and more distinct punchiness or how to describe it. It's all about personal taste though, and I really like Lampi's myself and has since then also upgraded to an Atlantic (still almost 1/2 of the price). LampizatOr's might not be for everyone though.

I would say nobody would be disappointed by buying a Merlot if he/she could afford it, it was really a premium feeling about it. It's a great DAC and I could easily see myself living with it. But, at the end of the day I'm still a happy Lampi owner... :)

It was an L4G5, and as I wrote in the original comparison it was like 1/3 of the price of the Merlot. After the Merlot was given enough time to burn-in I think it was probably the better of the two with a bigger soundstage and more distinct punchiness or how to describe it. It's all about personal taste though, and I really like Lampi's myself and has since then also upgraded to an Atlantic (still almost 1/2 of the price). LampizatOr's might not be for everyone though.

I would say nobody would be disappointed by buying a Merlot if he/she could afford it, it was really a premium feeling about it. It's a great DAC and I could easily see myself living with it. But, at the end of the day I'm still a happy Lampi owner... :)

thanks for the answer. I'm going to hear both of those DACs this week. But one question: I see online basic Atlantic costs 4000 Euro, and Merlot cost $6500. That's only about a 50% difference, no?

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)