IGNORED

A+ Fail, Yate Fail, MacMini2009(4GB) Fail or More Likely User Fail

sbank

Using A+ 2.2.5 (without iTunes integration) > Late 2009 MacMini (4GB running Yosemite 10.10.5) w/library on 3TB Lacie Firewire 800 Drive > USB >Schiit Wyrd > USB >Oppo 105D > analog preamp.

Just acquired many music files that lack art or some correct basic metadata needed such as ALBUM or ALBUMARTIST. Not that it should matter, but some the subfolders/files are different versions of the same album, e.g. one folder containing 8 files all with metadata ALBUM: The Nightfly (Needledrop MFSL) and another folder containing 8 files with same TITLE for each track but ALBUM: The Nightfly (DVD-A).

When I edit ALBUM in Yate and save with all tracks in the folder I get green circle to the left of each track indicating that my changes have been saved. However, A+ doesn't show that I've made any changes and instead combines two different folders' tracks all into one album in album view with duplicates. When I view metadata for each individual track, I see the correct path leading to both versions of the track, but the updated values don't show in the ALBUM or ALBUMARTIST fields.

I've tried manually syncing the A+>Preferences>Library> (Sync Folder), closed/reopened A+ but nothing gets the updates to view properly in A+.

This trouble started around the time I updated to A+ 2.5.5 , but can't say for sure if that started my issue.

FWIW, the MacMini is used only as a music server with Spotlight, etc. defeated, and A+ on "extreme priority", but A+ is slow to respond to typing, saving etc. Apple says can't add any more memory to this macmini(?). Others report okay results w/4GB mem Macs...

So any ideas how to resolve my metadata issue, resulting in proper separate albums in A+ ? I am frustrated enough that I am close to bailing out on A+ and trying JRiver or Amarra instead in hopes of spending less time having to mess with everything all the time just to be able to find and play albums from my library. Thanks!

Digital Source: Synology DS415+ NAS  and Small Green Computer SonicTransporter i5 Running Roon Core > Blue Jean Cable Cat6a >TP optical converter > Sonore OpticalRendu with Sonore LPS> Curious USB > Denafrips Pontus DAC

Analog Source: Dynavector XX2 mk2> Audiomods Series 5 silver arm > Sota Nova Series VI turntable w/Condor & Roadrunner motor controller/tachometer > Nagra BPS battery powered phono stage>

Both: BAT VK51SE preamp> Krell FPB300 power amp > Sound Lab A3 ESLs > > Custom room treatment > 50 yr. old ears(left-handed)

Doug's AppleScripts for iTunes - Artist to Album Artist v3.0 - Official Download SIte

You have to give the albums different album artists or different titles to have them separated the way you want.

I understand that so I've separately opened each album's folder in Yate, edited the ALBUM field so they different (while leaving ALBUMARTIST the same) and then saved. The changes aren't appearing in A+.

Digital Source: Synology DS415+ NAS  and Small Green Computer SonicTransporter i5 Running Roon Core > Blue Jean Cable Cat6a >TP optical converter > Sonore OpticalRendu with Sonore LPS> Curious USB > Denafrips Pontus DAC

Analog Source: Dynavector XX2 mk2> Audiomods Series 5 silver arm > Sota Nova Series VI turntable w/Condor & Roadrunner motor controller/tachometer > Nagra BPS battery powered phono stage>

Both: BAT VK51SE preamp> Krell FPB300 power amp > Sound Lab A3 ESLs > > Custom room treatment > 50 yr. old ears(left-handed)

"The changes aren't appearing in A+."

Did you re-scan your library after the changes were made?

I re synced the folder in the A+ > Preferences > Library > Foldername (SYNC)

even though the setting is set to AUTO.

Is there an scan library function that differs from sync folders in the library tab of preferences?

"Is there an scan library function that differs from sync folders in the library tab of preferences?"

What are you syncing? You need to find out exactly what that feature does because that could be the problem. It may be altering the tags and you just don't realize it. For now, I would take it off auto. Also, try tagging with A+. There may be some type of conflict with your tagging software.

Rick, thanks! Your suggestion to delete the folder from A+ library and then re-add it seems to have fixed the problem.

CR,

FWIW, I am purchased Yate for my tagging based on multiple recommendations from A+ users. Been using for months without issue until this problem cropped up. Also, Tagging within A+ is far too slow and cumbersome when you have lots of editing to do.

Since Rick's suggestion did the trick my conclusion is that was a glitch within A+. I'll keep editing tags w/Yate and remove/readd folder if syncing doesn't work in the future.

Thanks to all for your comments & suggestions!