IGNORED

Problem Audio MIDI Setup and Esoteric SA-50 DAC

Hi,

I have a Macbook Pro connected through built in optical out using a Van den Hul Optocoupler Mk II Mini-Toslink optical cable to a Teac Esoteric SA-50 CD/SACD player with 32bit dual mono DAC, see http://esoteric.teac.com/audio_players/sa-50/

The specifications say it accepts an input of up to 24bit/192kHz on optical input.

On Audio MIDI Setup, I only have frequencies of 44.1kHz, 48kHz and 96kHz available. I want to be able to output 88.2kHz, any thoughts???

Does anyone know if there are plans to enable 192kHz on the Macbook Pro optical out?

Thanks, Ben

AFAIK there are no plans to enable 24/192 on the optical output of the MacBook Pro - though it is supported through drivers supplies for Windows with BootCamp.

The hardware for the optical connection does not support 88.2kHz.

Your beat bet is to look at a FireWire interface between MBP and the Essoteric such as FireFace 400 or M-Audio ProFire 610. This will give you the capabilities you're looking for.

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

bpchia, first of all yes you are correct, Apple doesn't support 88.2khz for some reason. I read over the specs for the Esoteric SA-50 and I can't find anything that says it actually supports higher sample rates other than 44.1 / 48khz. All I see even in the user manual is options for upsampling to higher rates from redbook material. Maybe you could shoot them an e-mail or give them a call to clear your question up specifically. Nice gear by the way.

david is hear[br]http://www.tuniverse.tv

Hi Eloise,

The download tab of the SA-50 page has a brochure download, on the specifications on that page, it reads:

"Optical digital jack x 1 (Input frequency up to 24 bit / 192 kHz)"

And I get the option in Audio MIDI Setup for 96kHz output to the SA-50.

It is the USB input that is limited to 16bit/44.1/48kHz.

Thanks, Ben