IGNORED

Help me cut to the chase

I am not real technically minded. Thus help is appreciated from those who have done this so I miss the pitfalls and heartaches and hassle of doing it myself

Goal is to use a PC and MediaMonkey and move high quality sound via cable about 40 feet long. I have 60,000 files as FLAC.

I don't want to go to a MAC or use other software for many reasons.

It appears a Lynx card AES 16

AES cable

Berkeley DAC

could do this with very high quality.

The cost here would be about 6-7k +/-.

Without getting into a long discussion about better, best, change to Mac, other software, etc

Is there any reason this will/should not work well?

Would this give an upgrade path for higher resolution files in the future?

Does this automatically upsample? This seems to be a good thing.

Is this cable length an issue/problem?

Is there a limitation re: age/type/OS, etc of PC required?

Looking at the LYNX website, they show cables will multiple female terminations - is this the appropriate cable? If, not then what would be reasonable.

Thanks

Hi iamimdoc - It sounds like you're on a good path with a PC, Lynx, and Alpha DAC.

Is there any reason this will/should not work well?

There are many ways to mess it up, but this exact solution configured correctly will work well.

Would this give an upgrade path for higher resolution files in the future?

This will get you up to 24/192. Higher resolutions will be possible via USB, FireWire, and internal cards. I wouldn't be too concerned about sample rates above 24/192 at the moment.

Does this automatically upsample? This seems to be a good thing.

If you want it to auto upsample it can.

Is this cable length an issue/problem?

In my opinion yes the cable length is an issue. Can you use a silent PC and use a shorter cable?

Is there a limitation re: age/type/OS, etc of PC required?

There are limitations (pros and cons) with every system design. Set a goal for what you want and we'll help you get there :~)

Looking at the LYNX website, they show cables will multiple female terminations - is this the appropriate cable? If, not then what would be reasonable.

The Lynx cable will work. Many of us on the site here use custom cables without all the extra "antennae." Redco.com can build you a cable or you can have a cable built for you by someone with the right expertise.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

I am not sure on that length. I have only seen up to 20ft with no issue. We should have the recording guys comment on that. That is also a pretty huge collection and I would not dump that in all at the same time. The file setup is very important and your going to need a simple directory structure. I would add load and fix a bit at a time till you have it where you want it. I like to use a music directory/genres/artist/album/track# title. Use this time between now and the pc build to become close and personal with MM.

Chris's comments on the PC, Lynx and Alpha DAC and right on. You will have the higher resolutions for the practical time being. What we have for 96 and above is pretty limited as it is.

Im not a big fan of upsampling. With the system you propose I would bet that your not going to do much upsampling after you demo some good cds.

I like a fast machine, but not faster than it needs to be. To much power and you have heat issues and that means more fans and more fans....you get the picture right....more power:) I also like low power machine as less is more! Like Chris said pros and cons. If you have spare machine in mind post the specs and we will comment on it. At minimum concern yourself with lots of ram, good power supply and a fresh install of the OS. Check out a post I started it's not for the digital card, but you see what I mean. http://www.computeraudiophile.com/content/Low-profile-Windows-XP-pc-Lynx-audio-card

The multiple female connector cable on the site if for multiple channels. You would typicaly just use one of the balanced plugs as it carries the two channel digital signal to the dac. FYI, Lynx does not supply it with the card.

Regards

Jesus R

www.sonore.us

I forgot to add that Jesus' company Sonore can supply the HD26 to XLR AES/EBU cables. I've heard good thing about them, but haven't used one personally.

Thanks Jesus for showing restraint and not pumping your own product :~) It's tough to do and many people have failed where you've succeeded :~)

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png